• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best thing you have learned in IDPA?

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
What is the best thing you have learned in IDPA?

-- I have learned that even my favorite gun will indeed malfunction

-- I have learned I can shoot faster

-- Best of all, I have learned I am no where near as good a pistolero as I thought I was when I started out in IDPA

I've learned that Chris is a good guy, dealing with a Marine with the muzzle all over the place. And that I never got to meet Darius in person that night. But it was my first time. [wink]

At times, I was real close to you, but, for no good reason, I didn't step up to say hello.

Next time will be different, I promise!

By the way, I thought you shot very well that night.

Cross-X said:
Chris really does have just the right touch when running matches or practices.

He keeps it fun, challenging, and safe.

I can't wait to do it again. The whole group is awesome. I was really impressed at how you guys handled newbies. I felt right at home and eveybody was super friendly. It really was an awesome time. :D

I actually first met Chris several years ago, long before I ever shot with him.

I jotted his name down in my book because I knew he was a special guy. A couple years later, we met again at Riverside IDPA.

Go figure!

I've learned that shooters, with VERY few exceptions, are some of the finest people on the face of the earth. People who are relaxed and confident with guns just seem to have a good handle of themselves and their place in the world.

I've learned that I can always improve - and I don't have to be a master at a skill to teach the basics to another. And, that in working with others I can actually improve my own understanding by seeing from another viewpoint.

I've learned that it isn't a good idea to borrow Jon Green's 1911 and shoot better than he does. Especially when you finish up with a squib stuck in the barrel. (^_^)

I've learned that when you want to do something so much that you do it all yourself, you can end up so burned out making it a great time for everyone else that you never enjoy it. Ask for help - you'd be amazed at the quality of people who step up.

I've learned that even in a fairly small club, politics exists and it Sucks.

I've learned that the best advice I was ever given was "Make it up as you go along". So many times that is the proper course of action. It is certainly a close companion that states "Any well designed battle plan lasts only as long as the first shot". The best leaders are the ones who can make the "make it up" part seem as if they expected it all along. I hope I can one day do the same.

I've learned that no matter how many people I plan to attend our events, I get more. (^_^)

I've learned that no matter what, family is the most important thing, and most people will excuse you for it.

And lastly, running the IDPA program has given me a great sense of accomplishment in that I stepped out into something completely new, and have succeeded beyond my wildest hopes. To this day I still walk around and ask people if they are having a good time. I am still in some denial that I actually made it work. The personal satisfaction of seeing a dream fulfilled is an amazing thing. And it is the simplest of achievements that I treasure so much. I can not tell you the emotional high of watching people leave an event with a smile on their face.

Many folks who join IDPA soon realize that they need, really need:

-- A better holster, one that will permit safe reholstering one-handed

-- A gunbelt to support the better holster

-- A couple more mags

-- More practice!

Yea, I learned that with Retro IDPA.

I needed a good cartridge belt, and better holsters. But I'm waiting on the good molded holsters until the new law goes though and I can get me some Italian Colt clones...

And well, we don't use the mags, but I can see that in IDPA.

And if it was closer to me, then I would think about trying it. But I don't know too many that have it close to me out here. And being that I really like the CAS, I don't have the time for another hobby....yet.

I would like to get out sometime and try it. It's just finding the time. Ross invited me out during the week, but I would never make it there on time to shoot by 7.

I've learned that I should bring no expectations to a given shot, just take each one as it comes. I often do better on the oddball shots than the "easy" ones. On the simple shots I'm already thinking past the it to the next one. Bad idea. I've muffed whole strings of easy shots because I treated them as too easy to miss.

I've learned that I can pull the trigger pretty briskly without disturbing sight alignment. There's no need to eeeease it back. Just a smooth, swift pull.

I've learned that I really need to work on close targets. At the range, the closest I can ordinarily shoot is 11 yards. On the 2-5 yard targets I alternate between waiting for too good of a sight picture and rushing the shot too much.

I've learned that my pistol, mags, and holster work reliably (knocking on wood).

Cross-X said:
LenS said:
Cross-X said:
But Jon is not a member of this board -- yet!

And why not? [twisted]

Maybe because you haven't invited him yet!

Hmm, I think that I did invite both Jon and Jim . . . along with a lot of other folks when we started this forum.

You see Jon and work with him training, I thus nominate you to strong-arm him into joining us here! [twisted]

Darius,

Moderators do not get promoted! We are always going to remain as Majors!

Due to that fact, Derek had to make Lynne a Moderator or else Lynne would have outranked him and been a General by now! [twisted] [twisted] <gd&rvvf>

Back
Top Bottom