• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Striker-Fired Handgun and Why?

Another vote for the P7, followed by the VP9 from a trigger point of view. Glock is a great workhorse and I have Many of them. But the trigger is far from great.

So if you are asking for a utility gun, G19. Range toy, P7, general target/range gin, VP9.

I own all three and Glock is my go to for most everything. Simple, reliable, easy to fix/work on/upgrade. Not the sexiest or even my favorite. But it does the job.

Coming from a guy that has been shooting the 1911 for a long time, I will say that the trigger on my 1990’s Glock 19 is pretty nice for a not-1911 gun. Even before I did the 25cent job on it, it was crisp and with zero grittiness. I believe it’s due to the fact that the gun was so worn in when I got it that it’s smooth-as-silk trigger probably got that way through thousands upon thousands of trigger pulls. All parts are original. I’ve shot newer Glocks with standard disconnectors/springs that were horrible compared to my old G19.

Glock. Because Glock.

If you don't care for Glocks, suck it up and buy a Glock.

Also new CZs are for gun hipsters.

My p09 that I picked up for 300 bucks with night sights never shot was not a hipster purchase. It's just an amazing gun that I'm stoked some idiot parted with for that cheap

G19, G17, G21
P320
Canik TP9SF
maybe M&P 2.0 although i go back and forth on it

for those who are so enthusastic about the gen 5 glocks, checkout the frame thickness along the right side of the frame under the totally unnecessary right sided slide stop. yeah it's about 4 microns thick. no thank you.

for the gen 5, all glock had to do was remove the finger grooves and put steel sights on the damn thing. that's it. two things. and in stead they went various directions of retarded.

Short answer: Depends on what you like and how you shoot it.
Finally VP9. On paper this should be a great gun. But I cant every get excited about it and I shoot it poorly. Grip is great, trigger good, sights good. Meh. Also I really dislike the trigger guard mag release.

I have been meaning to pick up an M&P but will probably wait for a M&P 2.0. I was hoping the FN 509 would be a winner, but so far it seems like a dud. The Walther PPQ seems like a contender, but the ergos being so similar to the VP9 has always turned me off in spite of the wicked trigger.

For some reason I shoot my VP9 poorly too. A little baffled why. But, the VP9 feels great in hand and ideal size for me for what it's worth. I also have a Ruger SR9C that I shoot much more accurate than my VP9.

I like my m&p 9 with the apex trigger job. I have the vp9 also sometimes the trigger guard bothers me other times no. the canik is nice that feels a little cheap with the polymer handle and no back strap options but for 299.00 it is pretty good. but I am hung up on my 1911s love those hands down.

Based only on what we have at home,
Sig P320 is the one I shoot the best. Love the trigger. Full size and the subcompact kit.
HK VP40 is not nearly as snappy as other 40's I have rented.
My wife's VP9 is fun to shoot too. She has compromised wrists and loves the way it handles. Very accurate.
Her Walther CCP is fun. Fixed barrel makes it as accurate, or more so, as full size floating barrel. Also felt recoil on par with a full size.
FNS9/9C. I like them. Carrying the 9C while my Sig is back to the "upgrade." But both are more sensitive to precise finger placement. I have a tendency to push down and right when I get a little lazy.

I have a hard time understanding why people like the VP9 so much, except for the fact that it is readily accessible in the people's republic. I really find it underwhelming and think it is worth the effort to track down better options.

The grip ergos are probably the biggest selling point but everything else is not so great:
-OK trigger, but spongy and long reset.
-Stupid mag release paddles that requires training and because it is different from like 95% of other semi pistols.
-Expensive magazines
-Action sounds like worn out mattress.
-Dinky right sight ambi slide release (although it actually works)
-Open firing pin channel indicator just begging to be filled with junk, which is also redundant because there is a loaded chamber indicator on the extractor
-Grip texture that is not very grippy.
-Night sights that are meh (no high viability outline)
-Little cocking wings that add bulk and are known to snap off.
-Less than stellar reliability reputation
-Overpriced

For the price, I would want a better package. Out of the box I would still take another G19, P10c, or a p320 any day.
I really need to pick up an M&P one of these days to form a better opinion about it, but based on it's features and the depth of the aftermarket, I would have probably gone for one of those over a VP9 if I rewound the tape.
Honestly, the only reason I am holding on the VP is to get one of those snap on faux compensators and pretend I am John Wick, but really I should just get a P30L. :D

My son is a big Glock fan. I'm not. I don't care for the grip angle. I like the Shield .45. It's reliable, controllable, easily concealed and extremely accurate.

my opinion is all striker fired handguns are pretty good. It just boils down to what is comfortable for you. I love glocks but the 320 didn't fit right in my hand. Loved the VP9 but after half a day of shooting because of my grip it hurt my hand.

The striker fire platform is reliable and most major brands make good pistols. So for me...it comes down to ergonomics.

Glocks aren’t perfect, but the Glock 19 is a pretty darn good overall package. Replace the plastic sights, add an extended slide stop and a 3.5 lb connector.

The steyr m9 is, in my opinion one of the most underrated pistols on the market.
It had reliability issues in the beginning, but it seems Steyr has worked them out.
Watch the reviews on commietube, very positive, and arguably the best trigger out of all the striker guns.

Hudson H9 is really the only striker fire that I thought was a great gun. None of the others I thought were great, some were ok, but nothing I would spend money on.

Glock in terms of longevity, simplicity and LEGO parts available. That is what makes it the best.

Other have better triggers, better accuracy, cheaper, etc. but for an all around package Glock and specifically, G19 is it. Then there is preban mags available as well.

Hudson H9 is really the only striker fire that I thought was a great gun. None of the others I thought were great, some were ok, but nothing I would spend money on.

Is it really worth the $5-600 premium over the others that are well worth their own price?

Is it really worth the $5-600 premium over the others that are well worth their own price?

The one I was shooting was worked over some, but I was shooting it back to back with a Tanfo Stock II that was heavily worked over and the Hudson was a better gun. The extremely low bore axis and low recoil assembly made it a very flat gun to shoot.

Is the extra cost worth it, I think so. Its a very easy gun to shoot well. All the other striker fire guns I have shot, which is most of them, there always seemed to be something that taking my attention away from the shooting. Bad triggers, bad ergos, weird designs. This is the only striker gun that matches the 1911 and in some cases, it is better

The one I was shooting was worked over some, but I was shooting it back to back with a Tanfo Stock II that was heavily worked over and the Hudson was a better gun. The extremely low bore axis and low recoil assembly made it a very flat gun to shoot.

Is the extra cost worth it, I think so. Its a very easy gun to shoot well. All the other striker fire guns I have shot, which is most of them, there always seemed to be something that taking my attention away from the shooting. Bad triggers, bad ergos, weird designs. This is the only striker gun that matches the 1911 and in some cases, it is better

Well I'm not sure the purpose of the striker fired pistols is to match, or be like a 1911. Of course people carry and use 1911s for self defense, but for the most part i think people are looking for something well rounded. The common striker fired pistols do what they are intended very well, it's a matter of which one works for you in the end, you don't give wrong with any of them really.
Isn't the Hudson heavy?

I recently acquired a Canik 9mm handgun. The "Special Forces" edtion and the "Target" edition. I started with the target version and was blown away by the standard trigger. So I bought the other for CCW purposes.

Very competitive price and a great value IMHO. And the best striker fired trigger I've used.

Well I'm not sure the purpose of the striker fired pistols is to match, or be like a 1911. Of course people carry and use 1911s for self defense, but for the most part i think people are looking for something well rounded. The common striker fired pistols do what they are intended very well, it's a matter of which one works for you in the end, you don't give wrong with any of them really.
Isn't the Hudson heavy?

The H9 weighs 34oz, so its no light weight.
The purpose of the Hudson was to combine the excellent shootibility of the 1911 with a striker fire gun. Let be honest here, the easiest guns to shoot well in real calibers is a 1911 style gun. The fact that the 1911 dominates the competition world ( action and bullseye) out side of .22 is undeniable.
Well rounded gun are fine, especially for carry guns. Pick what you need and what you are willing to compromise on. But for the best shooting striker gun, I'd say its definitely the Hudson .

I've been a Glock fan for years, both in regular range shooting and competition, but I am starting to think the P320 X5 is the best striker fired gun on the market.

The H9 weighs 34oz, so its no light weight.
The purpose of the Hudson was to combine the excellent shootibility of the 1911 with a striker fire gun. Let be honest here, the easiest guns to shoot well in real calibers is a 1911 style gun. The fact that the 1911 dominates the competition world ( action and bullseye) out side of .22 is undeniable.
Well rounded gun are fine, especially for carry guns. Pick what you need and what you are willing to compromise on. But for the best shooting striker gun, I'd say its definitely the Hudson .

Well I'm guessing the 1911 doiminates competitions for its ability to be customized and fine tuned for more accuracy and much trigger feel. Obviously platic strikers have a limitation for competition, But I think for this thread it's what is better overall self defensive carry/home. The Hudson maybe great to shoot, but for an alternative to a g19 or something of that nature, I'm guessing no.

But I think for this thread it's what is better overall self defensive carry/home. The Hudson maybe great to shoot, but for an alternative to a g19 or something of that nature, I'm guessing no.

No one mentioned it was just about self defense carry or home only requirement. So with that in mind. Carry where weight matters, the G19 is lighter, although it looks like Hudson will make a lighter version that is 2 oz heavier than the G19. Reliability is very important, and with hudson it is way to early to say and my sample of 1 is meaningless. But the Gen 4 G19 certainly had its problem, the only gun that I saw eject a case to the left was Gen 4 G19. So that leaves actually shooting the gun, and that is not even close.

You should really try shooting one

Tough to beat this one. Not really a fair comparison though since all the effort to cock it is separate from the trigger pull. View attachment 230741

Miss my P7M8, but it went to a good home. Only downside of those guns is after about 48 rounds... you're "done" and that sucker needs to sit on the bench for 20 minutes with the slide open to cool off. Sometimes it was tough to make it through the 6th magazine.

If they still made them and they weren't rape priced I'd buy two of them.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom