• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best stock trigger on an AR-15?

I installed an Anderson ss LPK and found it gritty. I polished it up and installed JP springs. For the cheap money spent it is smooth. crisp and clean. I love it.

For what its worth. The JP "yellow" hammer spring is competition only. It is reduced power and has had some real world problems lighting off some mil-spec ammo.

I second this recommendation. I have Rock River 2 stage in my AR's and love them.

Making a decision on an AR based on the stock trigger kind of a rookie mistake.

You can get an excellent 2 stage trigger from Rock River arms for $80. Its far superior to any single stage mil spec trigger, even the enhanced ones.

dcmdon said:
Why don't you want the A frame style sight post?

Because they come with a non-free-floated standard handguards.

That's not true at all. You can put a free float tube on any AR. The presence of an A frame type sight just means the handguard can't be as long.

Here is the reality. If you intend to shoot the gun with the sights primarily, then get one with an A Frame type front sight. If you don't, then don't.
The key is that the front sight be attached to the barrel so that handguard deflection when using a sling or bipod doesn't change the point of impact.

Pelican - go buy yourself a S&W M&P Sport for $600 and be done with it. If you decide you really love it, you can spend $80 on a better trigger. At that point, with the right ammo you will have a 1 MOA gun.

And as a Smith and Wesson, its covered by their lifetime service policy. they even pay shipping both ways if there is ever a problem.

Don

True.

Buy any AR you like, at any price point. I do recommend that the rifle have a fore end that free floats the barrel, however. I highly recommend Windham out of Maine- check out their story. Changing triggers is not much more complicated than making something with Legos. Put a Geissele or Timney trigger in it and viola- you will have your 'Wow!' trigger. Sure, there are decent triggers for under $100 but for that 'wow' trigger you'll spend a little over $200. Later you can install a match barrel and have a sub-MOA AR, as long as you are using accurate loads.

WMD Guns - NiB-X coated is a good option. You can get the entire LPK from them, or just the trigger/hammer/sear. By no means is it a light target trigger, but it breaks very clean with no grittyness.

Nothing compares to a Rock River Arms match or varmin triggers in the value department.

The varmint trigger in particular is comparable to the $150ish Geissele triggers. Neither of which compare to the $250ish Geissele triggers.

The Timneys are nice, very fast. But expensive and the standard trigger uses a reduced power hammer spring. I was having trouble with a Timney lighting off some brass european ammo. They said the fix was to send it back to them and they would install a stiffer hammer spring from their .308 trigger. They made it right. But Geissele and Rock River both use standard weight hammer springs. So you get a good whack on the primer without any extra effort.

If you are leaning towards the Timney because its single stage is better for 3 gun style fast shooting, give some thought to the Geissele 3 gun trigger. Its great.

Finally, I'd never spend money for some high bling tweak of the milspec trigger. Even if its smooth, its still creepy and the single stage means that it is heavier than it needs to be.

RRA triggers are a dime a dozen on gunbroker for about $80.

Trigger Kits

Back
Top Bottom