• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best slug shot guns

I'm with others here on the versatility of a shotgun. Get an 870 or an 11-87 and just change barrels. I don't like the idea of a bolt action slug gun. The entire point of a shotgun is for it to be versatile, quick to handle and enable quick follow up shots. A bolt slug gun takes away all the properties that make a shotgun a shotgun.

Tree stand hunting the NEF. On the move, (spot n stock etc) the savage 220. The NEF is a tack driver but heavy.

I'm with others here on the versatility of a shotgun. Get an 870 or an 11-87 and just change barrels. I don't like the idea of a bolt action slug gun. The entire point of a shotgun is for it to be versatile, quick to handle and enable quick follow up shots. A bolt slug gun takes away all the properties that make a shotgun a shotgun.

Using slugs or sabots takes away all properties that make a shotgun a shotgun.

This dude seems to have a good one YouTube: VIDEO: BrothersKeepers111: H&R 20 Gauge Rifled Slug Shooting Personaly when I deer hunted I had a 870 drilled and tapped for a scope .And it wore a 1.5x Luepold ( early 80's model deigned for dangerous game ) . Can't recall all the details but it shot well enough out to 100 yds . I have seen guys at the range with Browning , Savage , and Mossy bolt action slug guns and they shot very well at 100 yds . It's just like any gun . Go check out differant models pick one you like and buy it . If after a season or two you don't like it buy another .
As for allot of guys saying you don't need a scope . You cant see past 50 yards . It was explained to me years ago buy my mentor " It isn't about distance . It's about being able to slip a shot between two trees , seeing a limb in the way that you may not see without a optic . Remember any big game animal is not always going to give you a pefect broadside shot .

Till you factor in human error that arises with buck fever and sooner or later you will be wishing for another shot....

So don't take the shot, as a hunter it is unethical to take a shot you are not certain of, all my deer have dropped with one shot. I have been with hunters that required multiple shots to take a deer and most of the meat was ruined

So don't take the shot, as a hunter it is unethical to take a shot you are not certain of, all my deer have dropped with one shot. I have been with hunters that required multiple shots to take a deer and most of the meat was ruined

Thats great if your sitting and waiting for the deer to come to you and if you are experienced in killing deer like you and I are. But totally unrealistic for a new person to the sport or if you are a moving hunter. More times than not when still hunting the shot you get is at a moving animal, often a fast moving deer, and those shots are a lot easier to miss. And dont give me the BS answer that you should not shoot at moving animals, that is part of the game. A single shot weapon is a great tool for stand hunting, but not so ideal for stillhunting or drives.

Till you factor in human error that arises with buck fever and sooner or later you will be wishing for another shot....

Most of my time is spent wishing for the first shot! I find myself looking at deer that are either too small or at not in a good shooting position. I will not take a shot that I am unable to make. I always keep a follow up round ready, which I can load almost as fast as someone with a pump/bolt shotgun. This all comes down to what you the shooter are more comfortable with carrying. My uncle had 6 different deer guns, while I have 2. I'll take accuracy over capacity any day of the week.

Thats great if your sitting and waiting for the deer to come to you and if you are experienced in killing deer like you and I are. But totally unrealistic for a new person to the sport or if you are a moving hunter. More times than not when still hunting the shot you get is at a moving animal, often a fast moving deer, and those shots are a lot easier to miss. And dont give me the BS answer that you should not shoot at moving animals, that is part of the game. A single shot weapon is a great tool for stand hunting, but not so ideal for stillhunting or drives.
I have never taken a deer from a stand, my first was on a running deer at 200 yards with open sights, if you know your gun and your capabilities then running shots are not out of the question, replacing capability with capacity should not be encouraged IMHO

I have never taken a deer from a stand, my first was on a running deer at 200 yards with open sights, if you know your gun and your capabilities then running shots are not out of the question, replacing capability with capacity should not be encouraged IMHO

What I was trying to say is sometimes having the capability for a quick follow up shot is an excellent ethical decision. We are not talking street sweeper capacity here spraying every tree with lead. I use a five shot pump.

I can hit a running deer with the best of em too. But in the woods shit happens. Funny how trees or branches you just dont see can jump up in your way. If it hasnt happened to you, then you are full of shit. Quit being an elitist douch who thinks every one who doesnt hunt like you is wrong. But then what else should we expect from half the people on this site.....

What I was trying to say is sometimes having the capability for a quick follow up shot is an excellent ethical decision. We are not talking street sweeper capacity here spraying every tree with lead. I use a five shot pump.

I can hit a running deer with the best of em too. But in the woods shit happens. Funny how trees or branches you just dont see can jump up in your way. If it hasnt happened to you, then you are full of shit. Quit being an elitist douch who thinks every one who doesnt hunt like you is wrong. But then what else should we expect from half the people on this site.....

I am not being an elitist douche, what I am saying is you don't have to shoot at every deer you see, if you hit it it will go down. if you don't well that second follow up shot can probably miss too, know your gun, wait for your shot and get a clean kill, shoot quick and miss because you go in with the mentality of if it's brown it's down is wrong. I hunt with an 870, took my first deer with a Winchester model 94 I have them both loaded to capacity. Yes it is nice to have the option of a quick follow up shot but you are not hunting dangerous game in NE that requires filling it with lead.

I have a Remington 870 with a hastings barrel, I shoot lightfields 2-3/4 slugs

kicks like a mule but get consistent 2-3" groups off bags at 100 yrds, scary accurate!!

any gun you like that you can get a hastings barrel for is a great slug gun just my opinion...

I'be been using a Mossberg 500 for a few years now with a rifled barrel. I absolutely love that gun and works great with Hornady SST sabots. Bass Pro has some good deals once in a while and also on the Remington 870.

Find something that fits you with good sights and light enough to drag through the woods.

I have a cheap Winchester pump smooth bore that I have been using for decades and it has dropped many deer over the years. I am comfortable out to 100 yards which is plenty for me. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope and a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 shotgun scope sits on it. Every year I take it to the range and every year it is still dead on.

A smooth bore barrel is much lighter than a rifled barrel to lug around all day.
The foster slugs I shoot are much cheaper than the rifled slugs.
I probably have less than $200.00 into the complete rig and don't worry about weather or dings. It's a meat getter which is what I want.

Don't get me wrong I take care of it and there isn't a spec of rust on it but it's a hunting gun and gets used as such.

If I was looking for a rifled slug gun I would look at the Savage that others have suggested or see if I could find an H&R slug gun in 20 gauge and top it with a decent piece of glass.

The type of hunting you do will determine what is best for you.

Good luck this season.

Bob

Have a 20 ga 11-87 canti rifled barrel Shoots a below average group at 75 yds with sabots. Also have a TC encore 20 ga with 26 inch rifle slug barrel that shoots the best group ive ever seen at 100 yards with a shotgun. Both have the same type of nikon scope. I hunt with the encore and the rem is s backup.

Ive heard the savage 220 is a tackdriver from several people. I would go there first if I was in the market

I don't know if there's a point in commenting on a 4 year old thread but here goes. I bought a Beneli M2 with slug and 26" barrel for ducks and geese however I should have saved the $500 on the slug barrel and bought a 220. One of my buddy's has one that I lust over. I had previously hunted with a hand me down 16ga smooth bore Ithaca mod 37 that my dad gave to me. It has been retired as it means too much to me. It will be my son's when he is of age. I bought the Beneli as a "do all" gun and it will it's just a little heavier than I am looking for. I also wasn't happy with the slug selection available for the 16g. I am now thinking of selling the slug barrel to fund part of a 220.

I don't have a dedicated deer gun, I use whatever I feel like using.
In the past couple years, I've used:

Rem 870 Wingmaster from 1968 with a 4x scope - I don't really like using this gun - the nice handling is wrecked by the scope, and it is in really nice shape so I don't want to ding it up too bad - wrong attitude on a gun, but this one has sentimental value to me.
Browing A5 Sweet 16 - this is one of my favorite repeaters, beat to crap and bought used, it makes me realize just how sweet the 16 is.
Savage 520 Pump - shortened into a "Whippet" by shortening the barrel and buttstock - it breaks down into two 20" sections and is a good backup gun to pack.
20ga SxS - This makes me feel like I'm hunting in Africa with an expensive double rifle.
H&R 16ga Topper - I like this - it's still a 16ga, but I like the quick handling of a single shot.
Iver Johnson 12ga break open - This is my spare gun. Nice to carry, but better to keep in case something goes wrong with the gun I planned on using. In 12ga because my friends are animals who don't use 16s.

All of these guns are loaded with either buck or Remington "Sluggers" because they're cheap and hit hard. None of these are rifled, none have adjustable sights and all hit a paper plate at 75 yards.

I don't see the square root of crap while deer hunting, so I don't feel handicapped by the single shot - in fact, I could have the same luck carrying a slingshot.

I totally get having a dedicated slug gun for deer.

I have owned a bunch, and shot a lot of others (25 years in a deer camp with 10 hunters).

First, sights, scope or otherwise need to be on the barrel of any shotgun of any switch barrel gun. Cantelever is great invention.

Hands down the most accurate guns day in and day out were savage bolt guns. They just were and are. (never owned one, but shot a lot of them) Decent triggers

Ithaca deer slayer (II) with fixed barrel. Probably second most accurate set up, BUT the triggers are terrible. You need very good trigger control for a hard trigger. You can do spring upgrade, which improves it, but still you need to pay attention. My left handed son loves mine.

Remington 1100 - with rifled cantilevered barrel, and 2x scope a deadly set up for woods. I have done a lot of trailing of wounded deer for others guys (I enjoy and good at it) and this is my set up. Fast and accurate. Still 1100 has a long soft spongy trigger (its a shotgun). MANY years a go I sent my 1100 trigger assembly to TIMNEY trigger and they worked it over. More like a rifle trigger now, and that 1100 receiver retired from traditional shotgun work.

I hunt rifle country of north adirondaks now, but if I were to go back to slug hunting, I would go with a 20 gauge savage bolt gun.

On all the above, try different brands and types of slugs (sabot or not) to see what your gun likes.

One tip, if a you shake a slug and it rattles, it won't be accurate. I found in Winchester and Federal that maybe one in 10 or 20 will rattle, and will blow your group to hell. i short them all by rattle test.

Back
Top Bottom