Best Single Stage Press for a Beginner

I have a rockchucker - great, but I but only use it for resizing.

For the 45/70 I use a Lee classic, it has 4 stations and can be used as single stage. My 45/70 ammo is over 3" and there is space left, so you can load almost any caliber.

It costs around the same as the rockchucker, but no need to change dies. Go for the lee instead.

When you get better, the Lee can be used as a progressive press.

It takes around 30 seconds to turn the Lee into a single stage press. You just remove a screw and a metal piece in the middle.

You will get tired of a single stage press. The single stage is great for high precision / competition ammo, where you are weighing every powder charge.

You can also check out Lyman, it is made in America using American manufacturers. Their press is cast in the U.S.

This is the LEE I use for 45/70:

SmartSelect_20191207-173611_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
While that may be the lowest point of cost entry fairly sure that would deter me from finding time to do it or would just immediately upgrade.

Leaning towards a Lee kit though just due to cost. Though to be seen if I make a move before or after I get a rifle.
Reloading will either take away from time shooting or absorb time away from other things.
I generally dont do squat between 9pm-12am.
i have a good amount of lee stuff .....
Otherthan the Auto drum the powder drops are on the crap side. The scale is a bit wonky and prone to break. The few I have aquired over the years have proven accurate but all have broken . Never bothered to take lee up on warranty .?
i dont like Lee case trimmers.

I wont discourage lee products. I,have found most of thier stuff to do everyrhing Lee claims to do.
Customer Service has been 100%
Some items I prefer other manufactures.

I usually agree with buy once, cry once. I have both RCBS and Lee equipment - there is no comparison on durability.
However, you will have multiple presses. (how many of us have exactly one gun?)

For a few hundred rounds a month to start - grab the Lee turret (cheapest) or Lee Breech Lock Pro from Titan or FSreloading.

If you were closer I would say to stop by start to finish casting your own projectiles, size & lube, and then load up a box on a RCBS single stage and a Lee progessive.

digital scale $20
Amazon product ASIN B011MZNRP6View: https://smile.amazon.com/Kasstino-Precision-Digital-Milligram-Reloading/dp/B011MZNRP6/

Bullet puller $10
Amazon product ASIN B001B7ZB4QView: https://smile.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-N-EZ-Impact-Reloading/dp/B001B7ZB4Q/

From Titan:
Breech Lock Pro 107.49
Auto Drum 37.49
38/357 Die set 29.89
Shell Plate 18.99
Primer Feed 21.75 (not required but makes life easier)

About $250 for everything but a reloading manual

All single stage pressed are pretty good for a beginner.
figure out how much you want to spend and do it. Don’t not pick too much. We have all bought multiple presses and dies from different manufacturers and all have our opinions. You will form your own too.
to pastera’s point you will buy more presses so don’t worry.
I’m up to 2 Dillon 550s a dillon 450
A Herter’s turret. A rock chucker. A reloader Special. A Lyman tru line turret. Lee loaders. Lyman 310s and a couple MECs.

It happens to all of us.

All single stage pressed are pretty good for a beginner.
figure out how much you want to spend and do it. Don’t not pick too much. We have all bought multiple presses and dies from different manufacturers and all have our opinions. You will form your own too.
to pastera’s point you will buy more presses so don’t worry.
I’m up to 2 Dillon 550s a dillon 450
A Herter’s turret. A rock chucker. A reloader Special. A Lyman tru line turret. Lee loaders. Lyman 310s and a couple MECs.

It happens to all of us.
Then sometimes your presses collect dust , like my MEC loaders , right now its cheaper to buy a box of 12g than load if you have to buy lead shot.
I do have a shot maker also but its a lot of work.

I usually agree with buy once, cry once. I have both RCBS and Lee equipment - there is no comparison on durability.
However, you will have multiple presses. (how many of us have exactly one gun?)

For a few hundred rounds a month to start - grab the Lee turret (cheapest) or Lee Breech Lock Pro from Titan or FSreloading.

If you were closer I would say to stop by start to finish casting your own projectiles, size & lube, and then load up a box on a RCBS single stage and a Lee progessive.

digital scale $20
Amazon product ASIN B011MZNRP6View: https://smile.amazon.com/Kasstino-Precision-Digital-Milligram-Reloading/dp/B011MZNRP6/

Bullet puller $10
Amazon product ASIN B001B7ZB4QView: https://smile.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-N-EZ-Impact-Reloading/dp/B001B7ZB4Q/

From Titan:
Breech Lock Pro 107.49
Auto Drum 37.49
38/357 Die set 29.89
Shell Plate 18.99
Primer Feed 21.75 (not required but makes life easier)

About $250 for everything but a reloading manual
Will keep those sites and that list in mind.

When you say the comparison on durability what does that mean?

Is it a question of volume or how much stress it would take from hard use?

I guess if the turret press only costs a bit over $110 then I can cycle it out if it breaks years down the line or just loses some rigidity. However if it's something that's likely to break sooner than that I might regret not going with the rcbs which looks to be on sale for only about another $20.

The Lee press is aluminum - it will last a lifetime if cared for properly.
The RCBS is cast iron - it will last several generations if cared for properly (my RCBS Jr II is my Dad's from my childhood and shows no signs of giving up)

If the RCBS kit you are talking about is this one Rock Chucker Kit - then you are still going to need dies (but no manual so a wash) and it is a single stage whereas the Lee is a semi-progressive (you need to insert primers so it's not just pulling a handle and inserting a bullet)

EDIT:: used RCBS presses can be had cheap from EBAY

Or just saw this (about $10 savings over individual parts)

Last edited:
The Lee press is aluminum - it will last a lifetime if cared for properly.
The RCBS is cast iron - it will last several generations if cared for properly (my RCBS Jr II is my Dad's from my childhood and shows no signs of giving up)

If the RCBS kit you are talking about is this one Rock Chucker Kit - then you are still going to need dies (but no manual so a wash) and it is a single stage whereas the Lee is a semi-progressive (you need to insert primers so it's not just pulling a handle and inserting a bullet)

EDIT:: used RCBS presses can be had cheap from EBAY

Or just saw this (about $10 savings over individual parts)
its really hard to tell someone what to get.
1st get some cash together. After hanging out with a old timer reloading on his gear I did what he said.
Dont spend any more money on shooting save up $1000 and come back and we can talk.
So with his advice we sorted out what I wanted to reload for and how many rounds.
His basement was a rainbow of colors and presses spanning 100 years . I did most of my learning there on a huge Pacific Turret that looked like a cast Iron boat steering wheel.
Anyway we sorted out dies
I started with 8 die sets. Pistol and low volume rifle went lee. Others varied between hornady/RCBS
Then some basic tools
PUller, dial caliper, case prep tools.
Then a press. I found my press on ebay few days before xmas s much cheaper than previous weeks.

When buying kits you need to value out the remaining items needed.

I bought this kit several years ago. I think its discontinued?
Amazon product ASIN B000PD9YTUView: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-85003-Classic-Reloading-Press/dp/B000PD9YTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWQmD5iZc6jCY130nIaWqNdGtehHiL-6VH0hNWvzddVmUnytIdfD7CBoCncgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=345572846876&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9002050&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7787799874972145712&hvtargid=kwd-669789460719&hydadcr=9714_9896909&keywords=hornady+lock-n-load+classic+kit&qid=1575813224&sr=8-3

IDK I think knowing what I,know now If I,where to buy a kit I would get this.

My take on the lee pro 1000

Looking at the lee 4000 it looks tight to get the bullet in . Pro 1000 does not leave much room either.

Have fun...oh and if you do get into reloading sooner or later you end up with the WtF did I buy that for box/draw/shelf

don't save pennies on your first single stage press, it's gonna be a tool you'll keep a lifetime even if you get serious with the reloading and move to progressive equipment. my first ss press was a rcbs rockchucker jr. and 40+ years later it's still bolted to my bench going strong...not saying get rcbs, but i'm sure glad i didn't get the cheap ass lee to start with. you need to sit down with one or two friends that reload and discuss your options quietly and sanely. it's hard to make an informed decision with 30 people screaming at you "get this" "get that one." and you know nothing about the things to begin with.

don't save pennies on your first single stage press, it's gonna be a tool you'll keep a lifetime even if you get serious with the reloading and move to progressive equipment. my first ss press was a rcbs rockchucker jr. and 40+ years later it's still bolted to my bench going strong...not saying get rcbs, but i'm sure glad i didn't get the cheap ass lee to start with. you need to sit down with one or two friends that reload and discuss your options quietly and sanely. it's hard to make an informed decision with 30 people screaming at you "get this" "get that one." and you know nothing about the things to begin with.

By the cheap ass Lee do you mean some of the ones others have recommended?

Trying to get a feel for the relative strength of things, which can be hard to tell over the internet. I could probably get a rock chucker used for similar price off eBay but have to factor in unknowns and broken components. TBH I do like the look and reputation of it just not clear if the cost difference would make me consider pushing back starting to buy things up to start.

Forester co-ax. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time.

If I was going to disagree I would say buy a Harrell’s press. As far as .38/.357, it’s the same dies. Just keep in mind, you will need a lot more than just a press. Gauges, scales, calipers, tumbler, and deburring tool for the top of my head are necessary for starters.

By the cheap ass Lee do you mean some of the ones others have recommended?

Trying to get a feel for the relative strength of things, which can be hard to tell over the internet. I could probably get a rock chucker used for similar price off eBay but have to factor in unknowns and broken components. TBH I do like the look and reputation of it just not clear if the cost difference would make me consider pushing back starting to buy things up to start.
If your looking for strength in a lee press Breach lock Classic Cast is about it. Lee had a few problems with ram arm linkage breaking but i have not seen much of that in several years.

If I was going to disagree I would say buy a Harrell’s press. As far as .38/.357, it’s the same dies. Just keep in mind, you will need a lot more than just a press. Gauges, scales, calipers, tumbler, and deburring tool for the top of my head are necessary for starters.

38/357 - use your cylinder as a gauge.

Tumbler - nice but can clean in a bucket with
Dish soap. Yes this can leave water in the primer pocket but drying again after decapping is free.

Calipers - Harbor Freight calipers for $10 are the same ones sold for $30+ by reloading companies. I did forget to add calipers to my list.

Deburring tool/trimmer - not certain these are needed for 38/357.

I am looking at reloading, and would want something that could handle being used for either pistol or rifle.

Right now the only calibers I would reload for would be .38 spl or .357 mag, but looking to get a rifle down the line which would also need to work.

My initial thought was to pick one of the ones listed on the O/D frame list from What equipment do I need to start reloading? - MassReloading.com and search where I could get a good price. However, I decided I might as well first solicit advice in case more experienced people might suggest one over the other independent of price.

Looking to keep things as affordable as possible, but only at a quality and value level which will actually serve the purpose.

Though its hard to know the future, I would not anticipate loading large batches but rather just a couple boxes here and there.

Any advice appreciated.

So based off your 1st post, lets go right down the line-
.38 and .357 are a good start to learn on. .38 the better of the 2. Not a whole lot of prep work needed. Anything straight walled is pretty fool proof.

Whats the biggest rifle round you can see yourself doing? Some of the less expensive single stages don't have the room for the longer rifle rounds.

Keeping things as affordable as possible is like trying to dress a 3 yr old. Eventually you're going to amass a lot of different stuff. Powders, primers, bullet heads, case prep stuff, case cleaners/ shakers, primer pocket swagers, It never ends.

I did not anticipate reloading large batches either, but found myself killing a weekend knocking out a thousand or so rounds because I had other stuff to do, but still needed to reload, so keep that in mind. If you have a wife and kids and a fairly busy schedule, plan on doing bulk stages at once and plan way ahead.

If cost is a factor (it always is) then go with least expensive options out there. The want to sell/ trade section is a good place to start. So is the want to buy.
You can always upgrade.
I do keep a single stage for de-priming, but thats about all the use I have for it these days. The ram is starting to flop around, so theres that.

Unfortunately, theres no "one and all cure all" press. Precision rifle is going to require different equipment than "plinking rounds", and the same can be said for bulk loading for "game day" (which I am guilty of).

As neutral as I'm trying to stay out of the red vs. blue. vs green debate, looking back I should have bought a 550 and one of these- SOLO Single Stage Press Conversion Kit
Not "because its blue", but honestly has one of the better priming systems out there. I used to hand prime a lot because other systems were to finicky or just flat out didn't work. Extra tool heads (and powder measures), while not a necessity, are an enormous time saver.
I have no idea how many "rounds per hour" it can do and I'm not going to pretend to know. What it lists on the website and whats realistic are two different things.

As much as I'd like to go fully automated, I just can't justify it.

Another vote for the Lee "Classic Cast" turret. It is not an aluminum frame (the turrets themselves are aluminum). Bear in mind that Lee makes a bunch of presses with similar names and some of them are made of aluminum. Don't get those.

The turrets are cheap. I've got probably a dozen with dies all set up and ready to go that can be changed in seconds, and another with miscellaneous dies like a universal decapper (I wet tumble to clean brass, so I deprime before cleaning). The way Lee ejects the spend primer through the ram and into a tube is nice.

The cylindrical three-die boxes will hold a four-hole turret with all dies assembled if you put it in upside down.

If you shoot a great deal then perhaps the Dillon would be worth it, but it comes at a hefty premium, and die heads are expensive too.

The Lee scale included with the kit is accurate, but "fiddly" to use as it is small, doesn't have a leveler, and has a funky "align the white lines" sighting arrangement. It's in storage. I got a RCBS beam scale and also a small electronic scale (around 24 bucks).

Besides the scale, the only other thing I don't really care for is the Lee on-the-press priming system. Beyond that, I think it is the best value and most versatile press for most.

No idea if this is a good price CoAX press on sale

I started out years ago with a Lee Anniversary kit. Had everything but the dial caliper and reloading components. Back then it was maybe $100 shipped. I built a little work bench out of scrap 2x4's and plywood and I was off to the races.

As I loaded ammo, I found tools from other manufacturers that I liked better than the Lee. I liked the RCBS de-burring tool better than the Lee, then I liked Imperial wax better than the Lee case lube.....Point is, the Lee equipment performed as intended and did everything I needed it to. I cant say I would have made better ammo, or more accurate ammo if I had gotten the more expensive green, orange, blue or whatever press. I was making ammo with an initial expense of maybe $130.

What I like and value in equipment may not align with what you like in equipment. Doesn't make any of our choices wrong, its just that we have our own likes and dislikes.

Fast forward to now, I run Dillon equipment for sheer volume and customer support. If I ever have a concern about any piece of my machine, a call to Dillon usually yields me a new part, or an upgraded component shipped right to my door, free of charge. I like that.

I still use a lot of Lee equipment as well. I prefer their dies. They work great and the adjustments are very user friendly/easy. I use the Lee classic cast turret press as a single stage, just remove the indexing rod. This is for my low production calibers I don't shoot a ton off. I have a toolhead with usually two calibers per tool head on opposing sides, say .223 size die across from a .223 seating die, and in the other two holes, a 7TCU size die and across from it the seating die. Perhaps 15-20 calibers I load for are set up this way with the exception of when I use a 4 die set for low volume, like say 45 Colt.

This is economical for me because I'm not going to spend the money on a toolhead set-up for my Dillon in 45-70 when I shoot maybe 100rds a year of it. But, I have a toolhead set up for my Dillon in .223 for bulk FMJ plinking loads, and also one set up in .223 for me Lee press that is dedicated to my TC Contender pistol in .223.

It can be as simple and affordable as you'd like, or as complex and expensive as you can imagine. Don't discount the Lee equipment. It works. Just don't be a gorilla with the aluminum components and it'll last you years. My aluminum press lasted me 10yrs when I gifted it to a buddy who was getting into reloading. He's still using it to this day.

if you are looking to getting into reloading, and are in need of a single stage press, I wholeheartedly recommend taking @EddieCoyle 's intro to reloading class. Included in the price of the class he now runs, you get taught the basics of reloading, and leave with a single stage press and some other gear, but most importantly competent knowledge. Ill try to find a link to one of his ads. Jim is top notch. I took his class years ago, and while at the time it didn't come with a press, I bought the setup used in class and have been very happy ever since. best of luck. go slow, be safe, and methodical. it can be a lot of fun, and the ammo you make will be more accurate and consistent than anything you will buy that isn't stupid expensive.

And your selection is?
I use a LEE classic for BP reloads. I turned it into a single stage.

I have a rockchucker I used to use for reloading and now it only does sizing.

I usually only reload 100 - 120 or so rounds at a time. That is enough to last me 3hrs at the range shooting and wiping.

I'm looking at a few guns in .38, when I buy them, I will get a big boy progressive, like a 750 or a LNL.

I use a LEE classic for BP reloads. I turned it into a single stage.

I have a rockchucker I used to use for reloading and now it only does sizing.

I usually only reload 100 - 120 or so rounds at a time. That is enough to last me 3hrs at the range shooting and wiping.

I'm looking at a few guns in .38, when I buy them, I will get a big boy progressive, like a 750 or a LNL.
Go Dillon! Drink the blue kool aid!

I think you should just buy it. The longer you wait the more time you’re losing out on loading your own ammo, getting experience and figuring out what will fit your needs.
that’s a fine beginner press and it will probably serve you the rest of your loading career even if it’s just relegated to one dedicated operation some day.
most of us have presses like that.

Back
Top Bottom