• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Single Stage Press for a Beginner

I am looking at reloading, and would want something that could handle being used for either pistol or rifle.

Right now the only calibers I would reload for would be .38 spl or .357 mag, but looking to get a rifle down the line which would also need to work.

My initial thought was to pick one of the ones listed on the O/D frame list from What equipment do I need to start reloading? - MassReloading.com and search where I could get a good price. However, I decided I might as well first solicit advice in case more experienced people might suggest one over the other independent of price.

Looking to keep things as affordable as possible, but only at a quality and value level which will actually serve the purpose.

Though its hard to know the future, I would not anticipate loading large batches but rather just a couple boxes here and there.

Any advice appreciated.

The Rockchucker or a Lee Classic Cast are good single stage presses. However, you may want to consider a Lee Classic Turret Press. You can easily remove the index rod that moves the turret and use it as a single stage. Then down the road when you decide to pick up the production a bit, you can slide the index rod back in place and use the turret capabilities. I currently use the turret press for several pistol calibers and for loading 30-06, .303B and Arisaka rifle rounds. With the turret you can have your caliber specific dies in place so that you don't have to keep adjusting them in the single stage. The turrets are pretty cheap and offer a quick caliber change.

Look for an RCBS Rockchucker, new or used, either way will suit your purposes just fine and will last longer than a life time.

Good to know. Anything to keep in mind if buying used?

Lee and RCBS presses - and kits - are very affordable
RCBS dies are great for the money too, and their customer service is fantastic

Good to know!

I'm spoiled because I learned to reload on a Lee Classic Turret by Jim F. @ Mass. Reloading. Made it so easy to learn and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Lee, it can be used in single stage without the indexing rod or in full 4 step loading with it in. Simple easy and far from expensive.

I'm spoiled because I learned to reload on a Lee Classic Turret by Jim F. @ Mass. Reloading. Made it so easy to learn and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Lee, it can be used in single stage without the indexing rod or in full 4 step loading with it in. Simple easy and far from expensive.

Is that good for rifle rounds?

Based on his list I wasn't sure if it was as rigid as the O/D frame options.

That one is certainly an attractive price.

Eddie Coyle's reloading class sells the actual gear you will use to produce ammo that will be ready for use as soon as you walk to tour range. Well worth the price and the knowledge can't be beat.

Good to know. Anything to keep in mind if buying used?

Good to know!
Buying used, rcbs rock chucker, hornady 007 , lyman ... O style presses are pretty stout and other than rust are hard pressed to be worn out.
Used gear is not turning up as much as it used to be 10 years ago for single stage presses. 10 years ago you could find a few rock chuckers or turret presses on the club pin board every few months for cheap. Not so much these days.

I load low volume pistol on a lee pro 1000.
9mm, 38spl, 45 acp , 30 carbine and 223

Then most everything else is on a Hornady 007 with the hornady lockNload bushings.
My dies run the color spectrum

Unless you are re-forming cases you really don't need to worry about ultimate strength in the press.
Yes, a high end press will last forever compared to a cheap Lee - but a Lee press will save you $0.50-0.75/round for the more expensive rifle ammo and that pays for a better press fast.

Once you get a really good press, use the cheap press for the dirty, ghetto job of decapping

Is that good for rifle rounds?

Based on his list I wasn't sure if it was as rigid as the O/D frame options.

That one is certainly an attractive price.
That is what I described previously. The turret does most rifle calibers. I have used it in both single stage and with the turret without issue.

Dillon offers a basic "manual" version of their 550. You can use it as kind of a turret press to get started, and add the parts to make it into a progressive as you go. I'd probably want to get the the primer tube right from the get go though.
Kinda like buying a big enough safe right up front...if you load pistol ammo, your more likely than not going to end with a progressive anyway.
I will say though that the 'Ol Rockchucker that got me started is still bolted down the other end of the bench, and still sees some good use from time to time.

The RCBS Rock Chucker set will be perfect for 38/357 & onto rifles..... that's what I started on & still use .... make your mistakes one at a time instead of mass produced with a progressive ;)
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit
get the Lyman book to read first lotsa good info: Lyman Reloading Handbook: 50th Edition Reloading Manual Hardcover

nowadays it seems like reloading is less about cheap ammo & more about accurate ammo to suit your gun & special bullet loadings that are unavailable or wicked expensive in factory ammo

If money is the issue Lee makes decent equipment,I started with the Lee whack a mole kit slow but taught the basics.
From there RCBS Rockchucker,Dillon 450,550 and now 2 650s. I have 2 single stage presses,the above Rockchucker and a Redding Big Boss II,those I use for small lots and case forming.

Forester co-ax. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time.

P

Chyeah breh, G19 or GTFO.

How are they at full length resizing? Do you need to use case lube or is the copious amount of fan boys creaming their pants enough already?

If money is the issue Lee makes decent equipment,I started with the Lee whack a mole kit slow but taught the basics.
From there RCBS Rockchucker,Dillon 450,550 and now 2 650s. I have 2 single stage presses,the above Rockchucker and a Redding Big Boss II,those I use for small lots and case forming.

Good to know. Cost is definitely a concern as I don't want to over invest before I know how much I will be using stuff, just want to keep it quality enough that it will not quickly break or not meet needs for a rifle cartridge.

Forester co-ax. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time.

What is the advantage of a press like this over others that are less than $200?

Get ahead of the curve...Dillon 550. Each station is a "single stage press" that you control manually. Load as manually or progressive as your comfort and skill level dictate.

When its time to get more advanced or crank out more rounds...you already have the right press. One and done.

I'm not saying the Rockchucker is bad; it's a great single-stage press. The Co-Ax is better. I don't have any LEE stuff anymore.

The brochure for Forster can say it better than I can:

No need to complicate the reloading process, the Forster Co-Ax Press keeps it simple while still delivering famous Forster precision. The Forster Co-Ax Loading Press comes with several unique features that help make it truly one of a kind. The Co-Ax features Snap-in and snap-out die changing. You can actually change from sizer die to seater die in two seconds! A positive spent primer catcher system which passes all spent primers and dirty carbon through a tube and into a container. That helps keep all working parts free of dirt and abrasives. Dual floating guide rods to help ensure perfect alignment.
  • Three times the mechanical advantage of an ordinary “C” press.
  • Delivers perfect alignment of the die and the case because the shell holder jaws are designed to float with the die.
  • Ambidextrous design, no frame support or swinging primer arms to interfere or cause obstructions.
  • Unique top priming device ensures primers will be seated straight
  • Supplied with “S” jaws. Holds rims from .343” to .422” and .468” to .562”

Lets ask some questions before we get into the fan boy Red vs Blue vs Green debates. How many cases do you expect to load per month couple hundred, couple thousand, tens of thousands? The cost of equipment vs the cost of buying a few hundred every month won't actually save you anything. Buy the time you buy the reloading equipment, the cases and primers and bullets, find some powder that works for each load ( and if you have it shipped pay the Hazmat fees), ( AND i know it's a long term invetsment but it's all part of the overall cost/round made.)it's all part of the investment into reloading. I do couple thousand a month and buy all my stock when I can find a deal on here or on Gunbroker or at my clubs. I think I could save some money and time if I only used Target Sports USA, but I like reloading and it gives me some quiet time in the shop. I have most of the winter off so time isn't an issue. All the things added up you have to ask yourself was the investment worth it? or should I just do the shop and drop online, and maybe an occasional trip to a local retailer. Another thing are you loading as a competitive shooter that needs maximum accuracy or is it just range food for a few weekend days a month that your going to shoot at paper or metal, that isn't 1-2 moa accurate.

Last edited:
Get ahead of the curve...Dillon 550. Each station is a "single stage press" that you control manually. Load as manually or progressive as your comfort and skill level dictate.

When its time to get more advanced or crank out more rounds...you already have the right press. One and done.
Or just get a progressive.

Lets ask some questions before we get into the fan boy Red vs Blue vs Green debates. How many cases do you expect to load per month couple hundred, couple thousand, tens of thousands? The cost of equipment vs the cost of buying a few hundred every month won't actually save you anything. Buy the time you buy the reloading equipment, the cases and primers and bullets, find some powder that works for each load ( and if you have it shipped pay the Hazmat fees), ( AND i know it's a long term invetsment but it's all part of the overall cost/round made.)it's all part of the investment into reloading. I do couple thousand a month and buy all my stock when I can find a deal on here or on Gunbroker or at my clubs. I think I could save some money and time if I only used Target Sports USA, but I like reloading and it gives me some quiet time in the shop. I have most of the winter off so time isn't an issue. All the things added up you have to ask yourself was the investment worth it? or should I just do the shop and drop online, and maybe an occasional trip to a local retailer. Another thing are you loading as a competitive shooter that needs maximum accuracy or is it just range food for a few weekend days a month that your going to shoot at paper or metal, that isn't 1-2 moa accurate.

I would say probably a couple hundred. Not thousands.

Not really competitive at the moment.

While the initial stage is a bit of an investment it's also buying another task/hobby which isn't the worst thing sometimes.

How are they at full length resizing? Do you need to use case lube or is the copious amount of fan boys creaming their pants enough already?

Good to know. Cost is definitely a concern as I don't want to over invest before I know how much I will be using stuff, just want to keep it quality enough that it will not quickly break or not meet needs for a rifle cartridge.

If you just want to try reloading pick up a Lee Loader in 38spl, local shop 100 primers and 1lb of powder and 100 bullets. Its only gets easier from there. If after you run out of primers you feel its not for you can toss the loader in a ShTF box.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vPMhVwIg0

I would say probably a couple hundred. Not thousands.

Not really competitive at the moment.

While the initial stage is a bit of an investment it's also buying another task/hobby which isn't the worst thing sometimes.
when your loading low volume for fun you dont need expensive equipment. I was able to use a For ster coaxial press and it is NICE.
Although at aprox just $350 for the press and the need to get more tooling up front its a tough nut to swallow.
You can find some deals on kits.
Not saying this is good or best but this does give a good amount of stuff you need up front.

Plus you can get 500 bullet rebate. The bullet choices are limited but i would get the 38cal 110 grain XTP's.
The bullets are not a huge draw for me but its a thought.

If you just want to try reloading pick up a Lee Loader in 38spl, local shop 100 primers and 1lb of powder and 100 bullets. Its only gets easier from there. If after you run out of primers you feel its not for you can toss the loader in a ShTF box.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vPMhVwIg0

While that may be the lowest point of cost entry fairly sure that would deter me from finding time to do it or would just immediately upgrade.

Leaning towards a Lee kit though just due to cost. Though to be seen if I make a move before or after I get a rifle.

Back
Top Bottom