• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Single Stage Press for a Beginner

there's also this one in roughly the same price range (w/my discount)

fyi.. I'd be looking to mainly reload 30-06 for my Garand.

Two things might differ, didn't look too far into the anniversary one.

1) Do they use the same bushings? (Breechlock)

2) slight different peripheral items?

It's the SAME press in both. The Challenger is the cheaper version of that design I think. The "cast" is cast iron and the Challenger is aluminum. Not sure what other material or design elements differ that would impact long term durability.

The press itself was like $75 on Amazon when I looked in December. So the rest of the kit is what you get for the rest of the price, plus you need dies and then all the consumables.

Two things might differ, didn't look too far into the anniversary one.

1) Do they use the same bushings? (Breechlock)

2) slight different peripheral items?

It's the SAME press in both. The Challenger is the cheaper version of that design I think. The "cast" is cast iron and the Challenger is aluminum. Not sure what other material or design elements differ that would impact long term durability.

The press itself was like $75 on Amazon when I looked in December. So the rest of the kit is what you get for the rest of the price, plus you need dies and then all the consumables.

from Reloading Kits - Lee Precision

The Anniversary kit and Breech Lock Challenger Kit will work for both rifle and pistol cartridges. What differntiates these kits is the way you prime. The Anniversary kit is for those who prefer to prime on the press (typically customers reloading handgun cartridges since there is minimal case conditioning required). The Breech Lock Challenger press is for those who prefer to prime off the press using the Auto-Prime XR (typically customers reloading rifle cartridges since cases need to be trimmed).

I have a Hornady LNL single stage and man that thing is robust. I learned to reload on it and it's very simple to use. Only downside is all the bushings add up. Wanted more production and went to a LEE progressive, good little press but the powder thrower is garbage. The Hornady is a great powder thrower. Ended up giving it to my brother when I got a Square deal B from a member here. The LNL classic is a great press to learn on if you get the whole kit.

this deal is not so bad, I dont know anything about this vendor?

I have this press and it was called the classic kit when I bought it. Bushings will add up but you can just use the lock rings and make sure you lock them if needed until you start getting more bushings and rings ?

this kit is ok also. I most likey would have picked this up if it was available, 1st thing I went to buy shortly after getting my kit was the bullet puller AND I still could use a powder drop stand!
Amazon product ASIN B007LV2LO4View: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-085010-Lock-N-Load-Classic-Reloading/dp/B007LV2LO4

Another FYI for beginner reloaders... seems like a good deal...

same thing is at Bass Pro, and if you have a Club Card, you get %5 more off... makes it about $250..

I picked up this today with gift cards I had at Bass Pro. and I get 15% off discount. When the guy brought it out, it also had the sonic cleaner as a package. I also got the Lyman EZ Trimmer. Total for me out the door with tax was $327.

I'll get dies with an Amazon GC I have.. just need to mount it up...

Back
Top Bottom