• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best sights for speed shooting

Not sure if I am in the right area, but for all you pistol shooters, I have a question.

What are some of the better Sights for speed shooting, specifically steel shooting. I have been accustomed to the standard Glock "U" sights and they haven't failed me yet. I am consistently pulling in mid to high 3's on smoke n hope with my G17 and a Blackhawk CQB holster, but am hoping a new set of sights might push me closer to low 3's on a consistent basis.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of guys like the Taran Tactical fiber optic sights. I have them on my G34, they took some getting used to and I'm not the best pistol shooter in the world but I like them. I use trijicons HDs on my CC guns but I think the tarans are better for quick shooting in daylight.

I like the Hi-Viz red fiber optic front sight with the adjustable Glock rear sight. I've tried a fiber optic rear, and I don't like them compared to one with two white dots or the white "U".

Sights are very personal, so expect to get a range of answers.

A wider than normal rear notch, along with a narrower than normal front post will still allow accurate shot placement, but allow much faster sight acquisition. A fiber optic front is easier to pickup in most lighting conditions. Plain black rear can help bring your focus to the front sight.

These things work for most people. You will have to experiment with what works for you.

A wider than normal rear notch, along with a narrower than normal front post will still allow accurate shot placement, but allow much faster sight acquisition. A fiber optic front is easier to pickup in most lighting conditions. Plain black rear can help bring your focus to the front sight.

This.

Narrow red fiber up front, plain black rear sight with a wide notch. For me, green is just too bright -- it "blooms" in my vision, so I can't see the top of the front sight when I need to for an difficult shot.

I use 10-8 Performance sights for my Glocks.

This.

Narrow red fiber up front, plain black rear sight with a wide notch. For me, green is just too bright -- it "blooms" in my vision, so I can't see the top of the front sight when I need to for an difficult shot.

I use 10-8 Performance sights for my Glocks.
I find my brain picks up red better than green. Other people swear by green. YMMV.

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE SIGHTS.

These look really interesting to me. I think I may put these on a Glock if I ever get one.

http://www.speedsights.com/

Oh God no.

First, nothing on the rear sight. Nothing at all. You want to focus on the front sight, not the rear. Anything on the rear sight, anything at all, will attract your attention, and slow down sight acquisition.

Second, to get precise elevation, you want flat tops to the front and rear sights, so that you can line them up. Those silly diamonds only give you the points of the sights to align. The result is that you will string your shots vertically.

Oh God no.

First, nothing on the rear sight. Nothing at all. You want to focus on the front sight, not the rear. Anything on the rear sight, anything at all, will attract your attention, and slow down sight acquisition.

Second, to get precise elevation, you want flat tops to the front and rear sights, so that you can line them up. Those silly diamonds only give you the points of the sights to align. The result is that you will string your shots vertically.

pew-pew! that's the sound of me getting shot down.

I agree on the blank rears for speed. on both my full size and compact carry gun I have the Ameriglo pro-glo orange/green front sight. It says orange but it looks more red to me, but either way, It's bright as f*ck in any kind of light, and if there is no light, it has the tritium middle. My buddy had the pro-glo green/green and it wasn't as obvious, so he switched it out for the orange asap. For the rear I run a I.C.E. training claw, cuz I'm just so tacticool [smile] but with this set up I showed up to one of the NES indoor steel shoots, just having had the sights put on that day, never even shot or sighted in, and only missed one gong on my first round. I love this set up, sight acquisition is so ridiculously easy. link to rears: http://icestore.us/I-C-E-CLAW-Pistol-Accessories/
attachment.php

Attachments

• GL212ORC copy.jpg
    GL212ORC copy.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 161
sorry for the bad cell phone pic, but i run the ameriglo sights as well, and i like it due to the fact they are night sights too
6b93702733cab551e4e857a4b41049e0.jpg

I have green fiber optics on all my shotguns. I had a hard time picking up the red when hunting or shooting clays. The green works better for me.

On my pistols I started with white dots. A change to green fo front was a slight improvement. Tried a red fo front and there was a much larger improvement. Next step is to black out the rear white dots.

On my rifles, I could barely see the black or green and went to a red front. Was more consistent for me, as I run red dots on my rifles, so having red buis was better.

Not sure if I am in the right area, but for all you pistol shooters, I have a question.

What are some of the better Sights for speed shooting, specifically steel shooting. I have been accustomed to the standard Glock "U" sights and they haven't failed me yet. I am consistently pulling in mid to high 3's on smoke n hope with my G17 and a Blackhawk CQB holster, but am hoping a new set of sights might push me closer to low 3's on a consistent basis.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

What are your draw and transitions times? While better sights never hurt, a little free dry firing might get you there quicker

My draw averages anywhere from 1.15 to 1.5 usually, my all time fastest is .99 but I haven't been able to replicate that. I am using my plainclothes(im a cop) duty holster which I suspect might be slowing me down, but I want to train with what I use.

So if you have a 1.5s draw, .3 transition, .6 transition, .3...at this point you are at 2.7s and transitioning to the last target. 1s to the last target and you are at 3.7... lots of time lost in transitions and draw.

Interesting, I've never really factored in transitions. Thanks for the advice guys!

Dryfire practice will also help your times. With familiarity, you can be staging the trigger as you get your sight alignment. Stu from Cloverleaf pointed this out to me and it made a noticeable difference in my time to first shot.

These things work for most people. You will have to experiment with what works for you.

This is what I did, was a large improvement over the glock sights. I have the thin fiber front and the adjustable blacked out rear from Dawson Precision. Love it.

I have a set of race cut Heine slant pros from Custom Glock Racing that I like very much. I just went to CGR's website to see if they still made them, it appears that they have gone tits up. Too bad, they used to offer a lot of nice Glock stuff that nobody else did.

So based on everyones suggestions, I tried the 10-8 rear black sight and a thin fiber optic front sight. I wasnt a big fan of installing the fiber optic rod myself, but I got it done.

Holy shit!!! What a difference, I don't know how I used the stock sight for so long. I cant wait to put it to the test at steel challenges this spring
Thanks!

Have green fiber optic front sight with combat black rear sight on my m&p. Have found that the combo makes for fast acquisition and decent accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom