Best Semi_Automatic rifle IN MA

What you spend to make a Mini14 comparable to other modern platforms and the issue of non standard magazines (both capacity & dimensions for handling or fitting into pouches), make it a better investment to buy one of the other rifle platforms.

Ruger could easily fix this by offering Magpul design a PC carbine style chassis for the Mini and offering 10 round magazines in the same form factor as the 20 or 30 round magazines to fit standard pouches, but they won't because outside of CA, NY, MA, no one would buy them.

The one in your safe.
Seriously, if you have to ask you need to do your own research and look at so many things in todays market.
Or just shake that magic 8 ball and go in blind! [rofl2]

Lastly 9mm is the best cartridge ever, screw that whole 45 acp thing.
Froglube is like unicorn blood, the Navy Seals use it!

Hi Maura![smile]

Anything else and you might want to learn the secret handshake first.

Tavor X95. Best of the AR-15 and AK-47 designs combined with SBR dimensions, yet no velocity compromise and no NFA baggage.

That’s the impression I’m getting also. Friend of mine bought one and I’ll buy the next I can get my hands on.
Not to go off topic but does anyone known which version exactly are mass compliant the store I go to gets them with the 18” barrel. Ideally I’d want the 16”. Would they be allowed to sell those also (if available at all)? Could I legally convert it later (expensive kit available from IWI)?

Min-14, Mini-30. I was going to go the pre-ban AR route but decided against it, it's not worth the cost and hassle right now. There is still a hunt for the minis but much easier and /safer/ than the AR route.

Hard pass here to both, not now, not ever. Making things worse, they’re overpriced now, and no stanag mags is just one more kick directly in the nuts.

With a low post count from the poster it is reasonable to think that the original post is fishing expedition. But if the poster is legit, the answer to the question, what ever you can afford. You should have started shopping 2 years ago.

sorry - some of us missed the boat. At least I had my LTC for several years. I hear all the horror stories from people waiting in line to get their paperwork processed or even find a class for it. Better late than never.

That’s the impression I’m getting also. Friend of mine bought one and I’ll buy the next I can get my hands on.
Not to go off topic but does anyone known which version exactly are mass compliant the store I go to gets them with the 18” barrel. Ideally I’d want the 16”. Would they be allowed to sell those also (if available at all)? Could I legally convert it later (expensive kit available from IWI)?

With the bullpup design you're already nice and short for CQB, so on one hand you could afford to add 2" for more velocity. But I wanted as short as possible without NFA paperwork, so 16.5" bullpup for me.

I bought my first at Mass Firearms in Hopkinton, 16.5", with pinned/welded brake. But you can find other dealers to sell one with just the stock A2 birdcage, no pin/weld, if you're comfortable legally.

As for all the people griping, "I could buy ___ for the same money as an X95," if that's your only hangup, stop being poor. None of these rifles are unobtainium like a Holland & Holland. Just decide what you want and then budget accordingly. And as @Rocco Mozz notes, two is one and one is none.

The one in your safe.
Seriously, if you have to ask you need to do your own research and look at so many things in todays market.
Or just shake that magic 8 ball and go in blind! [rofl2]

Lastly 9mm is the best cartridge ever, screw that whole 45 acp thing.
Froglube is like unicorn blood, the Navy Seals use it!

Hi Maura![smile]

Anything else and you might want to learn the secret handshake first.

You forgot to invite OP to our First Massachusetts Post-Covid 19 Meet & Greet:
meet and greet.jpg

I'm in NH so some of the technicalities I don't know all the details on but this is what I think:

Practical, available, & cost effective: Mini 14 or Mini 30, about $1000 for the rifle, plan on owning 2 identical models of them eventually, shoot your mini a lot, get to know it well, maybe even upgrade some things. They are more finicky than an AR and some may take tinkering or a trip back to Ruger to square away, but a good one is very reliable. Potentially you can find pre ban mags for these too.

Option 2, spend $2000 to $3000 on something exotic that is still legal in MA or on a fully pre ban AR or lower (ie pre 93 I think?).

Kinda the practical and if money was not a consideration routes there.

Honestly f*** the tavor. The only people that buy those things are the people that either can’t afford to build a preban AR, aren’t comfortable buying a “pre healy AR”, or don’t have the balls to just build a AR in defiance of healys press conference.

There is no way in hell anyone prefers the tavor over a standard AR15.

Hi,

Just wanna here some options about the best recommendation for semi-auto rifles for MA that can be used with a detachable mag. I have a pre-ban and a fixed mag but looking for different options

am I the only one confused here? Does the op have some sort unidentifiable and unknown magazine he is looking to buy a rifle for?

does he want a 22, 9mm, 223, 5.7, 223 or 308? That may be a better starting point to identify..

given the info.. I would vote mini14 as it is always the boobie prize..

Honestly f*** the tavor. The only people that buy those things are the people that either can’t afford to build a preban AR, aren’t comfortable buying a “pre healy AR”, or don’t have the balls to just build a AR in defiance of healys press conference.

Except all those people in free states who can buy either and still get a Tavor/X95.

Maybe they want something else battlefield-proven but with better balance, shorter OAL without compromising barrel length and velocity, simple field strip and cleaning, cleaner-operating piston gas system rather than direct impingement (though some ARs have one), ability to switch L/R configuration...

ETA: On second thought, you're probably right. All these governments adopted the Tavor because they're really just too scared to challenge the wingnut attorney general of Massachusetts. [rofl]

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 2.30.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 2.30.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 2.31.02 PM.png

Last edited:
Just needs a lot of practice, which I know I won't do so Im sticking to AR pattern. I almost bought the Galil ACE but it didn't feel like $2k in the hands.

Years spent using an M-16/M4 and being force fed the manual of arms has the AR like a another appendage. My Tavor requires constant practice for loading/unloading, but I find it more comfortable to shoot given the weight distribution and shorter bullpup configuration and easier to manipulate the charging handle to chamber/clear.

My preference is a Tavor and I’ve had an AR for years.

Last edited:

I have had many ARs over the years. I have sold them all off. I kept my FS2000. And would definitely take a Tavor / aug/ fs2000 over an AR.

What is nice about an AR over anything else is they just generally work well and are so patternized you can afford to own a bunch of them, a zillion mags, and a lifetime of parts. Even in MA other than a lower, which can fail but usually won't, you can stock parts freely.

You can improve on the design absolutely but it is an undeniably great design, ie is nothing to go 1000 rounds failure free and to shoot sub moa, out of an $800 rifle using $9 magazines.

If they weren't constantly threatening our ability to replace (or possibly just repair) these types of rifles, I could totally see owning just a couple "better" $3000 semi auto rifles and a dozen or so mags - you would be well equipped for shooting, protection, SHTF, etc..

Given the constant attacks with no end in sight, I think the best thing in a free state is to start with AR's and build up enough supply to keep what you really like owning going forever basically.

A Ruger 1022 is a semi automatic with a detachable magazine. What do you want to use it for? Is a .22 big enough?
Thank you; I came here to complain about the lack of 10/22 love.

Ours is named "Tick-Licker".

You forgot to invite OP to our First Massachusetts Post-Covid 19 Meet & Greet:
View attachment 403164
seG3j6k46wfEFaek5gyy7tz_ocFH7VujRe3_qtP2UBbD417qbcoxMU4jeQvBMdvVnbKUmA6tSk13_3mEBf0kk4ouc_s1IGBPRq-0HLriV1S7Mmrw3aPNGQ

Hi,

Just wanna here some options about the best recommendation for semi-auto rifles for MA that can be used with a detachable mag. I have a pre-ban and a fixed mag but looking for different options

The best semi-auto in MA is the same as the best semi auto anywhere else. You can LEGALLY get pretty much anything here that you can get anywhere else. You just have to pay.

Surely you can’t be serious. Unless there’s a gun called RDB from someone other than Kel-Tec.
Have you tried one? I hear a lot of people say "Because Kel Tec" but not a lot of direct fail experience. I'm literally asking for people that really have experience to convince me otherwise, because while I haven't had mine long, I love it.

Have you tried one? I hear a lot of people say "Because Kel Tec" but not a lot of direct fail experience. I'm literally asking for people that really have experience to convince me otherwise, because while I haven't had mine long, I love it.

Then I’m happy for you and have no desire to make you dissatisfied with your purchase. No, I don’t have direct experience of failure in the Kel-Tec for the same reason I have none with a Ford Pinto: reputation told me there were more reliable options. I hope your experience stays positive after the honeymoon phase ends.

Then I’m happy for you and have no desire to make you dissatisfied with your purchase. No, I don’t have direct experience of failure in the Kel-Tec for the same reason I have none with a Ford Pinto: reputation told me there were more reliable options. I hope your experience stays positive after the honeymoon phase ends.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass about it, I just keep hearing people say they wouldn't own one, yet a google search of reviews I only found one where someone had mechanical failure once in a class. I have not heard from a single owner that had real issues. It's got the best rifle trigger I've ever shot, its accurate, light, easy to maneuver, and yeah it's plastic, but so is a Glock. The tavor I tried felt downright clumsy in comparison. Because Kel Tec is like people that crap on hi points, yet the carbines are more reliable than a hungry goat.

That sounds about right. And it’s why I just bought an X95. I’m not comfortable building something and potentially break stupid laws in the process. I’m not comfortable spending a lot of money on something old that I don’t have enough knowledge yet to fix and maintain.
Tavor fit the bill. And the design actually makes a lot of sense to me as somebody who started looking into this without bias.

That sounds about right. And it’s why I just bought an X95. I’m not comfortable building something and potentially break stupid laws in the process. I’m not comfortable spending a lot of money on something old that I don’t have enough knowledge yet to fix and maintain.
Tavor fit the bill. And the design actually makes a lot of sense to me as somebody who started looking into this without bias.

yeah, i may have dismissed the tavor too harshly earlier but it seems that a lot of people that own a tavor in MA settled for it because they didnt know or care enough to obtain an AR

It’s kind of fun to see how this post, with no additional input from the OP, has morphed into a debate about the merits of the Tavor vs a standard AR platform. I do own both and prefer the AR, but if you actually were concerned about CQB (I’m not but the Israelis are) you would be hard pressed to beat the Tavor.

Back
Top Bottom