Best Semi_Automatic rifle IN MA

The battle in question had M4’s failing after 30 minutes of the battle. Soldiers interviewed had said 6 mags in 30 minutes, which was around the “sustained fire” average. Thinner barrel is a problem. DI is a problem. Mags can be a problem. The army has had all the evidence and research for years and even had a plan to upgrade M4 uppers to piston uppers, but cost continued to be an issue.

Got nothing against the AR and love mine, but anyone who thinks it’s a superior platform to any of a number of alternatives we can purchase, including the SCAR, Tavor, AK, CZ, and Beretta is crazy. Add in any number of piston uppers and it gets even crazier. A DI upper has two things going for it over a piston upper: cheaper and lighter. Those are two attributes that are low on my list of qualities for a carbine... even as a civilian.
I think the issue is the M4 was never intended for sustained fire mag dumps.
The US Military/Gov is not always interested in the best it just has to be USGI , my dad always said GI stands for GoodInuff.
For the most part the army/gov likes to take a vood design and mess it up. The history of the M16 cant be a better example.
I have and have had ARs i do not "clean" and run cheap shit ammo through and go 2000 rounds easy with out issues.

The battle in question had M4’s failing after 30 minutes of the battle. Soldiers interviewed had said 6 mags in 30 minutes, which was around the “sustained fire” average. Thinner barrel is a problem. DI is a problem. Mags can be a problem. The army has had all the evidence and research for years and even had a plan to upgrade M4 uppers to piston uppers, but cost continued to be an issue.

Got nothing against the AR and love mine, but anyone who thinks it’s a superior platform to any of a number of alternatives we can purchase, including the SCAR, Tavor, AK, CZ, and Beretta is crazy. Add in any number of piston uppers and it gets even crazier. A DI upper has two things going for it over a piston upper: cheaper and lighter. Those are two attributes that are low on my list of qualities for a carbine... even as a civilian.

View: https://youtu.be/BSizVpfqFtw?t=132

Why the hell would anybody own a fixed mag AR? It's like owning a Corvette with a governor.

Rifle? Probably. Pistol???? Well, now you've created a mASSachusetts uni-ma-corn that has advantages.

And at the range - do you really need to load 30 bullerts at a time quickly? Ever???? Heck, I rarely load more than 5 in a mag for range sessions. Any more incites wasting.

So I'm down to a pistol-length carbean with a 10rd capacity. Great first-weapon for home defense. "No it isn't, it's stupid, you need more rounds than that!" I present to you Exhibit B - the pump or semi-auto shotgun. Capacity - 5-8rds. Time consuming to reload.

Am I REALLY worried about home invasions?? No. I wanted a fun range toy. And it is fun. And it could serve a nice defensive purpose.

But. . . . a fixed mag rifle in mASS???? Not seeing it. But some do build them.

That's my point, though. I hear people say exactly that, but not WHY they wouldn't trust the RDB for "real work". Again, not trying to say RDB is superior, just trying to find real reasons why people think it might not be, other than "kel tec". Is construction or design inferior? Plastic parts don't bother me, I've owned Glocks. With the mag well accessory, rapid magazine changes aren't difficult, faster than an AK for me anyway. I don't know, just looking for reasons why I shouldn't trust mine for "real work" and not finding any. Hell, the design fits me so well at this point I'd consider trading my M1A for an RFB.
Because I have high end ARs that have better triggers, lighter, much more accurate, feel better in hand over the plastic rdb, are much faster to reload, no risk of dropping mags by accident, and can shoot them much faster accurately. I can keep going if you want lol.
I really like my RDB but its just not the best tool I have in the toolbox. If it is yours then rock on and no reason not to use it as mine has also been plenty reliable at plinking at the range.

That's my point, though. I hear people say exactly that, but not WHY they wouldn't trust the RDB for "real work". Again, not trying to say RDB is superior, just trying to find real reasons why people think it might not be, other than "kel tec". Is construction or design inferior? Plastic parts don't bother me, I've owned Glocks. With the mag well accessory, rapid magazine changes aren't difficult, faster than an AK for me anyway. I don't know, just looking for reasons why I shouldn't trust mine for "real work" and not finding any. Hell, the design fits me so well at this point I'd consider trading my M1A for an RFB.

I was dinging .mil above because I think they are behind the curve with the M4A1 as compared to Russia, Israel and others. Having said that, for me it's a balancing act of is the weapon in use with .mil somewhere, is it a proven battlefield design, and does it get improved on in the private sector. One strength of the AR platform is that they can take the .mil standard and improve on it... dramatically. Most piston uppers have done that, but almost every component in the AR has been improved in some way, some adopted by the .mil, others not. In the case of the Tavor, IDF has proven their worth and decided it was the platform. Keltec doesn't have any .mil customers and their designs are proprietary. Their designs, while innovative, don't carry the same weight for me because they haven't been through the ringer of combat/combat readiness. As a range/plinking rifle, nothing wrong, but for me to trust my life to a weapon platform, it needs to be tested in the real world.

I was dinging .mil above because I think they are behind the curve with the M4A1 as compared to Russia, Israel and others. Having said that, for me it's a balancing act of is the weapon in use with .mil somewhere, is it a proven battlefield design, and does it get improved on in the private sector. One strength of the AR platform is that they can take the .mil standard and improve on it... dramatically. Most piston uppers have done that, but almost every component in the AR has been improved in some way, some adopted by the .mil, others not. In the case of the Tavor, IDF has proven their worth and decided it was the platform. Keltec doesn't have any .mil customers and their designs are proprietary. Their designs, while innovative, don't carry the same weight for me because they haven't been through the ringer of combat/combat readiness. As a range/plinking rifle, nothing wrong, but for me to trust my life to a weapon platform, it needs to be tested in the real world.
understandable, but that doesn't mean that it isn't good because a military somewhere doesn't use it. How many fantastic pistols aren't used by LE agencies somewhere? But yes, I get what you are saying. I'll keep using mine until something goes wrong. I have no idea why people claim they accidentally drop magazines, my mag release requires pressure to work it.

I don't like this thread.... Y'all are making me want to buy a new rifle. And that would be irresponsible of me right now.

I have 2 ARs.... My first was a Stag. My second an LMT. Same platform, very different guns. Also have 2 M&P .22s.... Bought em for kids but they're pretty fun, and cheap to run.

I'm currently enamored of the CZ Bren carbine.... Don't know why. Never shot one. Just want one. Appears to be Healy-legal but no idea if you can actually find one.

Also interested in SCARs.

I don't like this thread.... Y'all are making me want to buy a new rifle. And that would be irresponsible of me right now.

I have 2 ARs.... My first was a Stag. My second an LMT. Same platform, very different guns. Also have 2 M&P .22s.... Bought em for kids but they're pretty fun, and cheap to run.

I'm currently enamored of the CZ Bren carbine.... Don't know why. Never shot one. Just want one. Appears to be Healy-legal but no idea if you can actually find one.

Also interested in SCARs.

Check out D&L Shooting in Warwick, RI. They always have a good inventory of CZ’s including Brens and will transfer to a local gunsmith in Atleboro for Massifying. I’m considering a Bren or a SCAR-L next and will likely psurchase it from them.

Back
Top Bottom