• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best semi-auto .308

MMF

Hope this isn't a repeat i tried to look for a similar thread, I'm looking for a semi auto .308, want to know your theories on best bang for my buck. What do you think?

I would look for a well made metric pattern FAL, as it’s one of the longest serving, most successful .308 rifles, in the world.
I think it offers a number of advantages over other reasonably available options; most notably the HK91 (and its clones), the M1A, and the AR platform rifles chambered in .308.

1. Better ergonomics: Charging handle on the side of the receiver beats the HK91. Selector switch can be manipulated without changing grip position, unlike the HK91. It has a bolt hold open device, unlike HK91. I personally prefer a pistol grip for comfort of carry, I like the way it feels when holding it in a firing position, so I prefer it over the M1A. I'd love to get an M-110 (as Climbnsink suggested) because I love the AR platform above all others, but I don't think they're available in Mass, and in terms of bang for your buck, I don't think you'll have many bucks left after buying one.

2. Price: While an original Belgian FAL will cost quite a bit, I recently picked up a great Entreprise FAL for 650.00. You can't touch a M1A for under a grand, and a genuine HK will cost you double that and more. As stated, I love the AR platform, but getting one in .308 is likely to be expensive, unless you can build it yourself.

3. Magazine availability: FAL and HK mags are readily available, and pretty cheap. GI M1A mags are very expensive. If you can get an M-110 or more likely an Armalite in .308, you'll be challenged to find extra mags, and even then you'll be limited to 10 rounders, as I don't think any were made pre-94.

Just my thoughts, I’m sure others will disagree.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't a repeat i tried to look for a similar thread, I'm looking for a semi auto .308, want to know your theories on best bang for my buck. What do you think?

Are we talking battle rifle or hunting rifle?

Get a FAL clone, the mags are way cheaper and much easier to find...AR-10 platform is very expensive but well worth in my eyes..especially when it comes down to finding mags..if you can find 20 rounders they will cost you $80+ each. especially around this panic time.

i know this because i own both a DSA stg58 FAL and an Armalite AR-10.

and i think the pre-ban FAL mags ran me $15-20 a piece which i found on gunbroker!(one of the best places to find pre-ban anything)

and the pre-ban gen1 armalite 20 round mags were a hefty $70-80 a pop. (search on gunbroker they pop up all the time) ..but be ready to bid your paycheck away!

if your looking to do any hunting get the AR-10 you can always slap a 5 round mag and go hunting with it. its lighter and a little more accurate then the FAL (my ar-10 is an h-bar) & allows flexiblity of changing your upper with a wide variety of possiblities.

if you get a DPMS AR-10 you will be very limited with mags if you live in MA..because youll need to buy thier mags which are postban, because the reciever is designed differently. if you want pre-ban 20 rounders , you would have to get the original vietnam era waffle armalite ar-10 mags, that cost some where around $100 each or more. i believe those will fit according to the DPMS site FAQ.

Last edited:
Bang for the buck? .308? I don't think a thread with those two things can go by without a mention of the Saiga .308. AK reliable, better than average AK accuracy, reasonable priced. The only downside is that stock they have a strange trigger, but if you like to tinker, they are easy enough to convert to a really nice .308 AK. 16 Inch barrel will blow your hair out of your eyes when fired, with a pretty healthy kick, but otherwise I think they are great.

Last edited:
I have both a FAL copy (Australian) and an HK91. I like them both but prefer the HK91. Like Franco said, there are plenty high cap mags out there and pretty short money, comparatively. I think a lot of it just comes down to how the rifle feels in your hands. If you like the HK 91 you can also find copies of that for a lot less than the 91. I was at Zero Hour last week and they had a copy of each.

I'd put a g3 and fal as neck and neck. Both are great. They are different enough to be pretty much a matter of personal preference imo. I definitely think there is a lot less recoil on a g3 type. If you are going to do a lot of shooting, the g3 is a lot more fun for an all day shooter.

Thats right madball! bushmaster originally made the BAR-8, which then sold the rights to RRA..it takes inexpensive FAL mags.

youd need to find one without a flash suppressor.. or have them permanently attach a muzzlebrake or compensator, or have a bare end.

Last edited:
If your in a build your own 308 AR kind of mood, CMMG is gearing up to sell 308 lowers that fit DPMS 308 uppers and use G3 mags. Not shipping them yet, though. I'm on the pre-order list, so we'll see when they get down their production list to them.

I hate having to base rifle choices on legislatively induced mag availability. Thanks for nothing, PRofMA. [frown]

What about the RRA LAR-8? They take FAL and L1A1 mags and have 3 different configurations. That's my next rifle.

I don't know anything about the LAR-8 (track record, reliability, etc.) It does seem to solve the hi cap mag issue associated with .308's using proprietary mags. However, you are looking at about 1,200.00 for the rifle. Does that get you more bang for the buck than a 650.00 FAL?

I don't know anything about the LAR-8 (track record, reliability, etc.) It does seem to solve the hi cap mag issue associated with .308's using proprietary mags. However, you are looking at about 1,200.00 for the rifle. Does that get you more bang for the buck than a 650.00 FAL?

Nope. FALs are a nice rifle, and priced below the 308 ARs. Good mag availability and ergonomics, lots of parts out there. I like mine a lot.

Hopefully, RRA has resolved the reliability issues Bushmaster had with the BAR-8. I don't think they've been out long enough to see, but time will tell. I'm building off the CMMG G3 receiver for no better reason than I want to - I'm sure this rifle will, in the end, cost more than it's worth. [wink]

The "best"... FAL, M-14, and G3... which of the three is the best is personal preference but I give it to the FAL 1st, the M-14 2nd, & the G3 3rd.

The RRA's that take FAL mags are JUNK.

I love the AR platform, but the .308's, as a whole, can have reliability issues... then there's the magazine issue.

I have an AR10, FAL, and M1A. Of the three, I greatly prefer the M1A. Yes, it is expensive. But it has the best sights, best trigger, and best balance. In my experience, the M1A is also the most reliable.

I have an AR10, FAL, and M1A. Of the three, I greatly prefer the M1A. Yes, it is expensive. But it has the best sights, best trigger, and best balance. In my experience, the M1A is also the most reliable.

Same here. I own, or have owned all three and prefer the M14 platform.

M1A/M14

Reliable, accurate does not need TLC to operate and maintain (IOW, it can take abuse.) It's a system that was developed in the old days is still being used today, it's proven. [wink]

IMO it's the best platform for the .308, many combat forces are still using M14's 50 some odd years after it was developed, that should say something.

Oh Yeah, It's American Made. (mostly)

BTW pistol grips can be added.

Last edited:
I own several of the FN 308's (aka FN 5063) and the HK 41 (predisesor to the HK91) rifles.

I love them all but the FAL's are hands down my favorite.

I have 5 of them now, Almost time to buy a larger safe or maybe a safe just for the FN's and one for the HK's.

Obligatory pics.
Rifles3Van.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking of getting an AR in .308 - anybody have any suggestions as to what the best way to go is?

AR-10?

CMMG lower with a DPMS upper?

One of Fulton Armory's Titan's?

others?

I read a while back that Cobb Mfg. was bought out by Bushmaster - and Cobb actually had been producing an AR in 30.06. I would love to get my hands on one of these - because 30.06 is still cheap from CMP now. It doesn't appear that Bushmaster has come out with their own version yet though.

I have been thinking of getting an AR in .308 - anybody have any suggestions as to what the best way to go is?

AR-10?

CMMG lower with a DPMS upper?

One of Fulton Armory's Titan's?

others?

I read a while back that Cobb Mfg. was bought out by Bushmaster - and Cobb actually had been producing an AR in 30.06. I would love to get my hands on one of these - because 30.06 is still cheap from CMP now. It doesn't appear that Bushmaster has come out with their own version yet though.

How much are you looking to spend?

Do you want availability to standard ("high capacity") 20rd mags?

The DPMS LR-308's have been getting better reviews than the Armalites recently.

There are no solid reviews yet on the CMMG .308 lowers that accept G3 mags.

The Noveske is AR-10 based, modified M-14 mags, high quality and expensive...
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=55

LMT is coming out with a piston driven AR upper in .308, a KAC/DPMS style lower.

Do you want availability to standard ("high capacity") 20rd mags?

There are no solid reviews yet on the CMMG .308 lowers that accept G3 mags.

The Noveske is AR-10 based, modified M-14 mags, high quality and expensive...
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=55

LMT is coming out with a piston driven AR upper in .308, a KAC/DPMS style lower.

Thanks - I will have to check those out.

The Noveske is a bit more spendy than I was hoping for.

FAL or M14 FAL made by DS arms is great. I have both rifles and love them both. Saigas are not all that accurate. I had one and sold it. Its a good rifle but is no match for a FAL or M14 when it comes to accuracy. IMO

The usual MA 'assault rifle' stuff - it's a detachable mag semi auto with a pistol grip, so no bayonet lug or removable flash hider. Permanently attached muzzle brake is okay. Any post 1994 magazine that holds more than 10 is illegal.

I want to toot the horn of my DPMS LR308. I have a Rem 700 PSS in .308 with a Springfield 3Gen 3-10x scope, Mark 4 bases/rings. A real nice rig. It doesn't shoot as well as my LR308 with a $300 Leupold VXII 3-9x on it. With my LR308 and some OCD-level reloads, I can put 5 rounds into a single ragged hole at 100m.

Get the 20 round mags while you still can.

Back
Top Bottom