• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best scope for the money

hey guys, I am very new to the gun community. I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to the best scopes for the money for A S&W M&P15T. I def dont want to break the bank considering how expensive everything is to get started in my new obsession. Looking to spend $250 or less, hopefully less! But dont really know what to look for or even where to begin. Like i said I am new and only go to the range for recreational target shooting. Thanks in advance for all the info and help. Also, I was told today (my first time at the range shooting my AR) that I was using the wrong ammo, Tulammo .223 55 gr steel case. Was told american AR's take better to brass because of the tight tolerances. Anyone have recommendations for better or correct ammo. Thanks again folks. love this forum

I subscribe to the buy once cry once philosophy. Don't cheap out on the glass. You'll only end up buying twice.

i have a number of inexpensive scopes that served me well over the years. i could have gotten lucky, four times in the row, but i'm thinking not. there are definitely some descent inexpensive brands out there and the statement that if you buy cheap you'll have to buy again is not 100% clear cut thing.

Also, I was told today (my first time at the range shooting my AR) that I was using the wrong ammo, Tulammo .223 55 gr steel case. Was told american AR's take better to brass because of the tight tolerances. Anyone have recommendations for better or correct ammo.

[rofl]

also you can check out this very helpful article on scoping your new AR: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/budget-optics-for-the-ar-15/

Last edited:
Got a Sig Tec Scope at Patriot Arms in Ipswich, to replace a Primary Arms Red dot. This Sig Tec is 3X maginifier built in. Was the Best $170.00 I spent, and it was easy to get zero in at 100 yards. See Jack at Patriot Arms, Great Shop, and Honest Guy, Good Luck

If the ammo works, then it is fine.

Do you know how much (if any) magnification you are looking for? A lot of guys run red dots or holographic sights on AR's with no magnification. I have a couple of Primary Arms red dots on two of my ARs, and they have been very good for under $100 each.

I haven't put any magnified scopes on any of my 'tactical' type rifles, but I have a Leopold VX-1 on a hunting rifle, which was around $200ish and is a very nice scope.

Welcome to the forum! First things first: GO GREEN! The members forums are WELL worth the price of admission.

Now, on to business: the optic you choose will be dependent your uses. How much, if any, magnification do you need? You mentioned target shooting; is this static position or move 'n shoot? Each application may require a different optic, so plan and purchase accordingly. I purchased an AIMPOINT T-1 MICRO for my M&P and I am happy with it, though it does not offer any magnification.

As far as the steel vs. brass jacketed...not a lick of difference unless you plan on shooting 10,000 rounds of each type through two separate barrels for comparison purposes. Assuming your M&P15T is a 5.56 model (I have a new M&P15 too, and I have no reason to assume yours is different), the 5.56 is essentially a ***slightly*** bigger, high-test version of the same .223 you're currently shooting.

What are you going to do with it?

'tactical' shooting (inside 100 yards)?

Distance/target shooting?

I love my Nikon M-223. The P223 is more reasonably priced.

If you're looking for a budget dot scope, check out the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot. I do not have one, but in researching purchases, these seem to rate very well for the money.

You guys are awesome. The target shooting as of now is static position. My M&P 15T is the 5.56 version and obviously came with iron sights, but seeing as how I am new to all of this i don't use them that well. I assume the more I Shoot the more comfortable and hopefully more accurate I will become. As far as the magnification goes i don't know what I need if any, just looking around but I cant tell my ass from my elbow as far as most of this stuff is concerned. I understand you get what you pay for, but seeing as how I am not on seal team six I don't feel the need to buy a $600 scope. Would red dot sights be a better option? I am looking for better aim assistance
I asked about the ammo because a rando at the range mentioned that american AR's shoot better with brass. I had two jams, but I only had steel jacketed ammo, so i can't say brass shot any better. The range officer also hinted that brass would be better for my particular rifle. The two jams happened when I had the factory ten round mag in, I switched to my pre-ban thirty and it shot flawlessly. So maybe it was the mag, I dunno, just figured I'd throw it out there.....Thanks again everyone you guys could not be more helpful

If you're steel is sticking there are two things to try, first is installing a BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit. This solves a lot of these issues.

The second is to ream your chamber to ensure it is within spec, but this is unlikely to be the problem.

I've shot a lot of Wolf and Tula .223 and the issue with people's rifles is normally a cycling one, not an ejection one. So you're far down the road to success.

I have expensive and economic scopes. If you have a specific need for a specific rifle spend all you can. if you just need to put some glass on a gun go as cheap as you can. Night and daytime are considerations. I have a $150 leupold scope on an AR-10 build that works great in daylight. As said above know what to do if your scope fails.

As mentioned, first figure out what you want it for. Maybe try a few and see what you like. I have unmagnified red dots, 1-4x illuminated scopes and 2-8x on various ARs.

Spending a day shooting out to 50 yards or so, the simple red dot is fast and fun. Shooting at 100 to 200 yards give or take and I set 1-4 to 3x and have something quick, but with a better view. Over 300 and I really need more magnification and will move to about 6x.

After you decide where you do most of you shooting, look for what is in that class that you like. There are some good ones out there in your price range, but if you can save up to the $400 and look for sales or second hand you can get some nicer stuff.

i have a number of inexpensive scopes that served me well over the years. i could have gotten lucky, four times in the row, but i'm thinking not. there are definitely some descent inexpensive brands out there and the statement that if you buy cheap you'll have to buy again is not 100% clear cut thing.

I can make use of the scope I got for free on my Remington 597 when I bought it too. Sure - if its a sunny day, nice and bright, and I'm not shooting beyond 100 yards - I guess it does the job - when it holds zero - which isn't all the time - or the mount doesn't comes lose. I also have a nice Simmons scope - which gives an exceptionally blurry image at 100+ yards - and won't hold zero under the recoil of my punishing uber powerful 30-06. There was also my Tasco which fogged up when humidity was above 70ish percent.

I learned my lesson the expensive way. I'm all set with cheap ass glass.... Just my experience. I'm in the Leupold camp now. There is also US Optics, NightForce, etc. but I've got a mortgage to pay - and its not on my rifle's glass. The Leupolds tend to be a little lighter too - which is something I think is under appreciated.

Last edited:
I have friends who are quite happy with Leatherwood Hi-Lux. I saved up for Leupolds and have been very happy. The new Leupold Mark AR scopes are nice, and some are very reasonably priced. The VX-R and VX-3 are also very good. For Reddots, the Aimpoint PRO can be found for under $400 with some searching.

While I do have some $200 scopes that work well enough, I have an equaly number that won't hold a zero or have other issues. One thing I will say is even if you go for a less expensive scope, go for one with a real brand name and not just a knock off of a more expensive scope.

I did it gradually and simple...

Bought a crappy chinese clone of an Aimpoint with a canted forward mount. Loved it. $99.00

It died the first summer of shooting. But I learned that I wanted a real Aimpoint. The wife found one used for Xmas but left me without a mount , so I used the chinese clone's... used 4MOA Aimpoint ? 350 ? i dunno.

Then they invented the Flip to Side mounts for a magnifier. I bought just the mount from LaRue ... $125. But it came with a hat and a bottle opener and some rib spices .. and a few stickers , too.

and a clone magnifier from Primary Arms ( who sell high end clones cheap ) ... $89

But it wasn't compatible with the LaRue mount.

A year later ... I bought a different newer Primary Arms 3x magnifier ... $ 100 -ish.

( and a heavy barrelled A2 upper , then a stripped a4 upper and learned to change barrel/uppers. )

Then I bought an Aimpoint PRO with a 2MOA dot. ... $400ish

And assembled the ...everything ... 9 different ways until I ended up a flat top heavy barreled 20 inch AR15 with a new 2MOA Aimpoint , flip to side 3x magnifier and a magpul flip up " iron" sights. (another $50)

Simple. it only took 3 years. I have a spare upper 16" with a 4 MOA in reserve , and so many spare parts I am about to go get another lower to build a whole 'nother goddamn AR15.

Burris AR 332 is a great prism sight for around $300. It has 3x magnification. You can even use it if the batteries are dead.

Sent while wearing nothing but my tiny red wrestling tights.

I have put on a couple of Nikon Prostaff scopes on my equipment. I have been very happy with the performance vs cost aspect. I don't believe I have spent more than $250 on any of the 3 or 4 I have bought. they can be a little large, but I am not using them to run-n-gun. For that AR I have a Vortex red dot which I am very very happy with.

Back
Top Bottom