• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best round for Canada geese

I looked over your list of firearms. Unfortunately you simply.dont have enough firepower. If I were you I would find a rifle chambered for .577 Nitro Express. That should be just enough to get the job done.
We took pictures of a lone goose at a refuge today.
And then The Bride opined that it didn't seem to be moving much.

Yep, decoy. [shocked]

The answer is snow tires.
Drive into the park with a 5 gal can of gas. Leave the motor running. Fuel the car with the gas can. All the geese within a 50ft radius should just drop dead because its the most dangerous thing anyone can do!!!!!!

I call them welfare geese. Since people feed them they no longer feel the need to fly south for the winter. Not good for their genetics I’m sure. They also poop about a half a pound a day each. The local golf courses are always fighting with the geese. There’s a local park near me with hundreds of welfare geese. If any of them get close to you they can’t hurt you. Even if they bite your finger they don’t break the skin. Grab them by the neck and give a little squeeze. They tend to avoid you after that.

I am just about my wits end. In all my life I have never encountered birds as mean as these Canada geese lately. Yesterday I was at the park with my grandson. I’ve been taking him to the park lately. He loves it and I could use the exercise. Anyway, The park has a small pond and I told my grandson to go stand by the pond so I could take a picture for the bride. The damn geese were a good 4-5 feet away but one of them must have taken offense to my grandson. The damn bird lunged at my grandson and startled him so much he tripped running away. So I march over there to give it a piece of my mind and the damn thing just spreads its wings acting like it doesn’t know it’s place in the animal kingdom. So today I bring my golden retriever Kasey to the park too. We walk back over towards the pond and those same geese are still swimming around by the shore. I tell Kasey to go get em and she takes off like the good girl she is. Most of the geese retreat except one stays and challenges Kasey. I bet it was the same bastard that I dealt with yesterday. Damn thing pecked at poor Kasey’s nose. Now she won’t even go near the pond. I don’t know what else to do. How can I best dispatch these geese?

For firearms I have
Remington 742 in 30.06
Remington 870 in 12 gauge
Smith and Wesson 59 in 9mm
Smith and Wesson 19 in .357
Smith and Wesson 66 in .357
Smith and Wesson 640 in .357
Ruger single six in .357
Ruger Gp100 in .357
Remington R1 in .45
Colt combat elite in .45
Kimber custom 2 in .45

I was also thinking maybe I could use a slingshot. I remember using a slingshot with 00 buckshot when I was a kid but I heard those are illegal in Massachusetts. Are slingshots permitted with a valid LTC? I think slingshot might just be the best option because of noise and concealibility.
Sling shots are legal as far as I know. I only recall seeing “slung shot” in the MGL which is like a black jack/ monkey fist type thing.

I'm loving that people in this thread are referring to the ornithological subject as 'Canada' geese rather than 'Canadian' geese.

Also...

View: https://youtu.be/zUi5xKQXG6I

While I say Canada geese, the ones that stick around my home town I refer to not as Taunton geese but Tauntonian geese. ;)

There were a pile of them in a farm field yesterday afternoon. Probably 100 or so Canada's and what I swore were 2 snow geese. ???? They were too white to be seagulls - plus too big. And too small to be a swan or something. Strange to see 2 snow's in the middle of a pile of Canada.

Slingshots are NOT illegal in Massachusetts and there's no requirements to carry one. Manufacturing or selling one is illegal, unless you're selling it to a club or association holding sling shot competitions.
A little Off Thread but I tried to buy replacement slingshot bands on line...Would/could not ship to Ma. !

Back
Top Bottom