Best round for Canada geese

I am just about my wits end. In all my life I have never encountered birds as mean as these Canada geese lately. Yesterday I was at the park with my grandson. I’ve been taking him to the park lately. He loves it and I could use the exercise. Anyway, The park has a small pond and I told my grandson to go stand by the pond so I could take a picture for the bride. The damn geese were a good 4-5 feet away but one of them must have taken offense to my grandson. The damn bird lunged at my grandson and startled him so much he tripped running away. So I march over there to give it a piece of my mind and the damn thing just spreads its wings acting like it doesn’t know it’s place in the animal kingdom. So today I bring my golden retriever Kasey to the park too. We walk back over towards the pond and those same geese are still swimming around by the shore. I tell Kasey to go get em and she takes off like the good girl she is. Most of the geese retreat except one stays and challenges Kasey. I bet it was the same bastard that I dealt with yesterday. Damn thing pecked at poor Kasey’s nose. Now she won’t even go near the pond. I don’t know what else to do. How can I best dispatch these geese?

For firearms I have
Remington 742 in 30.06
Remington 870 in 12 gauge
Smith and Wesson 59 in 9mm
Smith and Wesson 19 in .357
Smith and Wesson 66 in .357
Smith and Wesson 640 in .357
Ruger single six in .357
Ruger Gp100 in .357
Remington R1 in .45
Colt combat elite in .45
Kimber custom 2 in .45

I was also thinking maybe I could use a slingshot. I remember using a slingshot with 00 buckshot when I was a kid but I heard those are illegal in Massachusetts. Are slingshots permitted with a valid LTC? I think slingshot might just be the best option because of noise and concealibility.

They are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and can only be hunted in limited circumstances with tags. Shooting in a public park is a good way to wind up in prison on top of the violation of a federal law.

Swans are MUCH more vicious.

Umbrellas can help shoo them away.

iu

They are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and can only be hunted in limited circumstances with tags. Shooting in a public park is a good way to wind up in prison on top of the violation of a federal law.

What "Tags" are you referring too? There is an open season Geese, Migratory Bird Stamp from the feds (purchased at the Post Office) and the stamp state, (purchased at your Fish and Wildlife agency when you buy your hunting license) and the H.I.P. number also issued by your F&W agency. Oh, If I am not mistaken Early Goose Season is on right now.

What "Tags" are you referring too? There is an open season Geese, Migratory Bird Stamp from the feds (purchased at the Post Office) and the stamp state, (purchased at your Fish and Wildlife agency when you buy your hunting license) and the H.I.P. number also issued by your F&W agency. Oh, If I am not mistaken Early Goose Season is on right now.
It is early Canada Goose in MA, yes. And you're of course correct that there are no tags, just a 15 daily and 45 possession limit right now.

We got permits but could not use firearms due to houses nearby a kids swimming pond full of those rats. We fashoned garrots with a wire loop at one end of a broomstick. We literally walked up slipped the noose around their necks and strangled them. We managed to get about a dozen until they wised up. Years later coyotes came in to the area and cleaned them all out.

I thought you needed a license and to buy from a limited pool of tags good for X number of birds per season because there was a set cap on the number of birds which could be taken in an area total per season due to the MBTA. Mesatchornug is correct.

Stupid government cares more about stupid Canada geese that come over here. Uninvited. And poop all over everything.

Stupid government cares more about stupid Canada geese that come over here. Uninvited. And poop all over everything.
To be fair, when the MBTA was ratified Canada geese were an endangered species. Congress at the time didn't know that the federal government would become so large, unwieldly, and incompetent that treaties like the MBTA wouldn't be revisited for adjustment as bird populations recovered. The late 19th/early 20th century saw significant overhunting of certain species and it was these conservation efforts which saved those populations for future generations.

To be fair, when the MBTA was ratified Canada geese were an endangered species. Congress at the time didn't know that the federal government would become so large, unwieldly, and incompetent that treaties like the MBTA wouldn't be revisited for adjustment as bird populations recovered. The late 19th/early 20th century saw significant overhunting of certain species and it was these conservation efforts which saved those populations for future generations.
Revisions in the 30s, 70s, and 90s. Probably due for another anytime. Of course, we should probably also be careful what we wish for...

I remember using a slingshot with 00 buckshot when I was a kid but I heard those are illegal in Massachusetts. Are slingshots permitted with a valid LTC? I think slingshot might just be the best option because of noise and concealibility.
Slingshots are NOT illegal in Massachusetts and there's no requirements to carry one. Manufacturing or selling one is illegal, unless you're selling it to a club or association holding sling shot competitions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom