1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Best reverse number lookup?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Moderator, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I've been getting an increased number of spam calls to my cell. My phone has a built in spam blocked through google and it works well, but it doesn't get them all. What do you guys like for revers number searches?

2. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

Used to look up/verify spammers on 800notes.com but the site blocks the VPN I use, so no longer use them. Found this the other day, but only used it a couple times. http://www.whitepages.com/phone-scams-spam

3. robjax

robjax

4. Bernietech

Bernietech NES Member

i use 411.com

bernie

5. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

6. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I'd like to know how to block the damn spam calls on my phone. I seem to get at least one a day. For some reason Android on my phone (Blackberry) doesn't have any number blocking features. The only way to do it - is to add the number to my contacts list - which is just retarded.

7. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    It has become such a PIA that I redid my phone a few months ago.

Every entry in my contacts has a custom ring tone now. If you are someone I know, my phone rings and we have a great conversation.

My default ring tone is silence. I never hear it ring. If it is something important, Igor will answer and you can leave a message. (yes, I have Igor answer with "I'm very sorry, but the Master is not in. He has directed me to take your message.")

Since the spammers almost never leave a message, this works out great. Every so often, I check the call log and I'm amazed at just how many calls come in a few short days. And yes, I've listed on all the do not call lists. Doesn't stop them.

Sad that you have to ignore everything.

And you know the really sad part? If nobody would buy anything from these people, it would stop. As for the real scam artists, the easiest was is to simply tell them I'll call them back at the published office number and HANG UP.

If people didn't buy from an unsolicited call, they would stop.

jek, WBspectrum and tuna like this.
  8. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

Thanks for the info guys.

9. gamma19

gamma19

I don't have any advice for a reverse number lookup site, but what I do is set my phone to "do not disturb" mode and only allow the people on my "favorites" list, such as friends, family, and work, to call. I have it set to come through if a non-listed person calls a second time within three minutes.

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

I just throw it in google and usually find what I need in the first page of results.

11. Cuz

Cuz NES Member

I need to set my phone up like this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I pay $20 per year and use nomorobo for my iphone from the app store

13. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

What's most sad about this is our lawmakers wrote a law that that is totally useless and they do nothing about it.

Seems to be the norm for them.

14. bullseye

bullseye

Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
    You seriously expected it to do something!!!!

Actually, American Eagle Outfitters was spamming folks with texts and got nabbed, agreed out of court to14.5 million dollar settlement, my kid is part of the class action and will get about a 225 dollar check.

15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

No I didn't expect anything from them. That way they don't disappoint me. The Do Not Call Registry was just another "doesn't this make us feel good" measures from the hacks to the people when in fact it was just another roll of toilet paper.

16. Neverknowsbest

Neverknowsbest

I'm an investigator and my favorites are spydialer.com and good old Google.

Spydialer will usually give you a name, the type of phone and if it's spam or not. It will also let you hear their voicemail if it is a cell phone. It's a great tool.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Just be aware that many spoof a callerID, they call multiple times but never from the same number twice.

I had a chimney sweep scammer actually use my home phone number as his CID. I started getting irate calls as to why "I" didn't show up to do the work after they paid, etc. Another reason I ditched the number I had for ~40 yrs and went with an unlisted random number thru Ooma Telo. One time nuisance of notifying all our friends and done. For those that insist on a phone number but have no need to know, I still give out the old, dead number . . . therefore I get ZERO random spammer calls to that number.

18. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

I always thought they only use a number once but I keep getting a chimney cleaner service and a warranty company calling from the same Stoneham number at least once a day. If there is a live person on the other end I will try and troll them as long as possible so they are tied up and not calling other people. It has really helped with the Windows customer service calls from India.

19. TOY539

TOY539 NES Member

This is usually what I do too.

20. kurtb

kurtb NES Member

All I know is that I must have had a f*ckin' great time at all the resorts I have stayed at recently 'cause I don't remember a damn thing...

21. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling

I have it on my home phone for free and the App. for the $20 a year on my cell. Best investment of time and money I have made this year....

22. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling

Why waste the time and effort...looking it up. Let NOMOROBO do the work for you. You can set it up on you cell phone in two ways...It identifies as a NOBOROBO with 1 ring or you can send it after 1 ring to your voice mail just in case. If one gets buy you add it to your calls that got by NOMOROBO

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  23. kiver

kiver

I think I need to go this route. Some jack hole named Thomas must have given my number out to marketers and they just will not stop. I had 18 calls yesterday and three texts. Most look like normal local callers.

I hate people

24. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

Recently, I've been getting more "local" spam calls. Not just calls from random states like I used to see.

25. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

nomorobo is the way to go, BUT you need an IP phone, like comcast or verizon to do it. If you still have a land line, it will not work

26. kiver

kiver

I have not had a landline for years. Does it work well on cell phones?

27. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I've had Nomorobo on my home line for years and love it. I've had it a couple of months on my cell and I'm still adjusting. It takes a ring or two and I'm still picking up too early because it it my business phone. It is certainly worth $20.

28. TZCHRIS

TZCHRIS NES Member

I have a phone number, I want a name? Are any of these sites free? Every site wants $.99 and my credit card!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

29. wahsben

wahsben NES Life Member NES Member

I just check my caller ID if it's someone I know or recognize I'll answer if I'm not sure or don't know I don't answer and see if they leave a message.

30. Greg

Greg

I never answer a call from a number I don't know,if it is important they will leave a message and I will call back.If it's a number that doesn't leave a message,I just Google the number and it will usually say who it is.Then I just block the number,probably have to do this 5 times a week.

Don't want to pay for any apps because I am cheap,and doing this is not a big deal,just part of owning a phone.I really liked the call blocker that came with a 30 day trial from Verizon,I think it was part of caller ID,but,I am cheap and don't get massive spam calls everyday.

drgrant and tazman like this.