Best reloading manuals for beginner.

Started with the Speer manual when I started in the 70s,as of now Lyman 50h and a pick or the litter from Speer,Hornady or any of the bullet/powder manufacturers.
I'd compare prices for manuals on Amazon they may be cheaper than a brick and mortar outlet.

A reloading class is a great way to get started. But, you will still need a published book of load data.

The two that I use a LOT are the Hornady Book, and the Speer Book. I also make a lot of use of the Lyman book because it has so much cast lead bullet data (do not use jacketed data for loading cast lead bullets)

Try to get more than one book. You'll often see different data for the same cartridge/bullet/powder combinations. Having more than one source of information will help you make better decisions.

And, when you get confused, call the POWDER manufacturer, and ask them for starting and max load data. They have a legal and insurance vested interest in keeping you safe.

BTW, Hello FIXXAH!!!!

I think the book that my father used was from the 70's. Back when he would load in a single stage press using a beam scale. Things have come a LONG way since then. But, the old methods still work. ;)

I still use a beam scale. I don't trust electronic scales.

OP, when I started, I first read a lot and watched a lot of videos. Then I found a NES member that showed me how to reload.

So I got the press, Hornady L-n-L quick change bushings, 223 Remington die set, powder funnel, bullet trays, powder trickler, 2 different brands of powder and 2 different brands of primers. Still need a scale of some sort, tumbler and some other small things. I'm debating whether to use the press onboard primer tool or go with the stand alone RCBS bench tool. I did pick up some Hornady 55gr VMAX boolits so I went ahead and got the Hornady manual as well. Now all I need is to clean up my basement work bench which is currently covered in boat stuff for a boat I didn't launch this year and I should be good to go.

So I got the press, Hornady L-n-L quick change bushings, 223 Remington die set, powder funnel, bullet trays, powder trickler, 2 different brands of powder and 2 different brands of primers. Still need a scale of some sort, tumbler and some other small things. I'm debating whether to use the press onboard primer tool or go with the stand alone RCBS bench tool. I did pick up some Hornady 55gr VMAX boolits so I went ahead and got the Hornady manual as well. Now all I need is to clean up my basement work bench which is currently covered in boat stuff for a boat I didn't launch this year and I should be good to go.
did your press come with this set up? It works well for me , well until the tip broke and I stepped on one of the tubes and bent it. I have not looked into getting new ones as they seem non existent with out calling hornady and I just have not been loading much to bother. It takes a little tweeking to get the primers to feed and the small wire retaining fails often enough you might want to call hornady and get a bag of 10 or so.
I figure if I spent some time I could find some tubes that would work , just super lazy these days
Amazon product ASIN B005KW516QView: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-070905-Auto-Primer-Classic/dp/B005KW516Q

did your press come with this set up? It works well for me , well until the tip broke and I stepped on one of the tubes and bent it. I have not looked into getting new ones as they seem non existent with out calling hornady and I just have not been loading much to bother. It takes a little tweeking to get the primers to feed and the small wire retaining fails often enough you might want to call hornady and get a bag of 10 or so.
I figure if I spent some time I could find some tubes that would work , just super lazy these days
Amazon product ASIN B005KW516QView: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-070905-Auto-Primer-Classic/dp/B005KW516Q
I have an RCBS press. They sell a similar product for their Rock Chucker Supreme called the Auto Prime but just seems overly complicated to prime. And since it STILL requires you to push a lever to feed a primer can it really be called auto?

I use the RCBS bench priming tool for just about all my rifle brass priming. Goes pretty fast...

I have an RCBS press. They sell a similar product for their Rock Chucker Supreme called the Auto Prime but just seems overly complicated to prime. And since it STILL requires you to push a lever to feed a primer can it really be called auto?
yeah I seen that set up, looks easier to just drop a primer in the cup.

Back
Top Bottom