• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best red dot for ar15

You can get the TRS-25 for under $100 with the riser. It's not like the riser is some magical chunk of unicorn horn.

No, but the expensive ones have better ability to hold zero when you take them off. If you are planning to just mount an optic and never take it off again, then you're right, it's probably a waste to buy a higher end mount, at least for a red dot. Scope is obviously a whole other thing.

Regarding red dot brightness, I have two TRS-25's and one is a good 25%-30% brighter than the other one and the one with the new battery is the dimmer one. Weird.

They're inconsistent depending on date of manufacture. Mine was garbage, it was on the rifle for about 30 seconds.

Some of them the dot disappears in the top 1/3 of the optic. You can tell by where the emitter is if it will have this problem. Definitely verify you're getting one without the defect before you buy.

No, but the expensive ones have better ability to hold zero when you take them off. If you are planning to just mount an optic and never take it off again, then you're right, it's probably a waste to buy a higher end mount, at least for a red dot. Scope is obviously a whole other thing.

Well I wasn't referencing QD mounts but yeah, you get what you pay for with those. Perhaps I am assuming too much but if you buy a $100 optic, I wouldn't be moving it around much and expecting it to return to zero every time. If that is what you want to do then you need to shell out some more coin for something design to do just that. I think people have unrealistic expectations for these budget dots sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom