• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Production 1911 Readily Available in MA?

So I'm feeling the need to shoot the 1911 in some single stack/CDP again. I've had mixed luck with 1911s, but can't seem to let the idea go...

I own a fantastic Greg Derr gun, which I love and regularly shoot, but won't carry, fill with rain, smash against props, etc, because it'd be like leaving the Mona Lisa in a shooting bay, or putting a Rembrandt under your coat for a trip to the store. So I'm thinking mid-range production rather than custom. Any suggestions?

1. Readily available in MA. I'm not really interested in paying a premium for, say, a Dan Wesson just because of the list.
2. Budget of mid $1000s or so.
3. Has to make weight in both gun games. Switching guide rods and such to make weight is fine.
4. No bull barrels.
5. I'd like it to be reasonably standard design; I hear S&W 1911s run but I'm skeptical that either I or a gunsmith is going to want to touch that weirdo extractor.

Candidates I've considered are the Springfield TRP, Colt Gold Cup and Competion. I've heard newer Colts don't run well, though. Thoughts?

The TRP was my choice, but I did shoot with a guy who had the new GC Trophy and it was very nice. I see TRPs in black for 1200 new though so I'd buy that.

"Weirdo extractor". Do you mean the thick external extractor on the S&W E-series guns? The type of external extractor that is a source of reliability in every modern production pistol? :)

Anyway, I've owned and shot the stainless 5" S&W E-series 1911 and found it to be quite reliable as long as I stay up on recoil spring replacement, lube and feed it quality magazines. Bought it back when I lived in MA, so it's most likely easy enough to acquire. I would avoid the S&Ws that have the thinner extractor as I've heard enough worrying things about it to be leery.

I have had good luck with Springfield and S&W 1911's.

I had a Sig XO 1911 which was very tight, but maybe too tight as it sometimes failed to
fully chamber a round, so I think maybe they use too fine tolerances or the spring had gotten worn or something. I ended up selling that one.

"Weirdo extractor". Do you mean the thick external extractor on the S&W E-series guns? The type of external extractor that is a source of reliability in every modern production pistol? :)

The S&W 1911 extractors work great until they break and you have to send the whole gun to the factory because they won't sell you the simple drop-in part.

The S&W 1911 extractors work great until they break and you have to send the whole gun to the factory because they won't sell you the simple drop-in part.
I believe that is because it is not a drop-in part, despite any claim to the contrary. It's a matter of an assembler grabbing one from the bin, seeing if it fits, grabbing another, etc. until a nice match is found.

I would have suggested getting a Springfield from Dawson that was configured as one of their CRP (competition ready pistol) specials. However, they don't seem to sell them any longer. I have one in 9mm.

FYI if you choose to lower your mainspring weight in the Springfield get a regular firing pin spring and steel firing pin. If you use the stock firing pin (Ti) and spring it won't light WIN primers 100%... ask me how I know...

FYI if you choose to lower your mainspring weight in the Springfield get a regular firing pin spring and steel firing pin. If you use the stock firing pin (Ti) and spring it won't light WIN primers 100%... ask me how I know...
The Ti firing pin is installed to pass the drop test, not enhance the performance of the gun.

FWIW I have a Colt Competition that went to a smith for a reliability service and a few upgrades. ( sights, extractor, feed ramp polish.) Match barrel and a dual recoil spring. I am very happy with it. Very accurate and has been totally reliable.

I picked up a Colt Competition Stainless for ~$950 recently. I only have about 100 rounds through it and am pretty happy so far.

I've owned 3 Smith 1911's, all shooters, and shot one of them a real lot for several years and had exactly zero extractor issues...nor do I know any one who has, or heard of any, or know anyone who's heard of any. Different? Yes, but kind of a non-issue IMHO. Very reliable. Not in the least ammo picky re: SWC's if that's your thing. Good gun IMHO. What are they using for a firing pin safety nowadays? That's an issue with some folks.

I got a Colt in 9mm last winter and shot it a lot. Ejector broke,common problem, local guy replaced it. I'm betting that isn't an issue with the 45's though. Tight chambered, I have to hold the OAL a little short with the bigger bullets. Nice gun. Shoots real good, the bluing looks great, but wears fast if that matters. Would buy again, wouldn't mind having one in 45 if I wasn't going in a different direction pistol wise right now.

Although some folks will roll eyes.... I wouldn't run right past the Ruger either. I've put several thousand through a lightweight 9mm 4 inch in the last two years, and it has not missed one single step. Yup, she's a bit of a rattler, but it shoots fine and is wicked reliable with any ammo I throw at it. So reliable in fact it's actually the one I carry.

Have a TRP and an E Series S&W, both work just fine, I seem to shot the S&W better. Would recommend either though.

Get your favorite flavor and have Greg Derr do a trigger job feed ramp polish and whatever else you need without going nuts?

If just going out of the box, I would go with a new S&W.

If getting it smoothed to your taste, the Springfield.

The way S&W do their triggers now they are some of the best out of the box, on average, without having work done, for a production level 1911. (I could probably add a couple more caveats, but you get the idea)

When the Springfields and Colts first hit MA, I was unimpressed with any of the ones I looked at in the shops. I am sure there are good ones, but the number of horrible triggers, sticking slide locks, rough safeties (the movement, not where you would place your thumb). But if you were going to have them smoothed out, they may be a better start than the S&W.

I run a full custom and haven't really messed with too many production 1911s myself. IMO any production 1911 in that price range needs work for it to be something I would want to carry/shoot a lot.

A buddy of mine on Springfield TR team has a stock S&W 1911 with over 10k rounds on it. Seems like it runs well.

All I did to my Dan Wesson PM9 was change grips, throw on a Dawson magwell, extended slide release, and arched mainspring housing.

Back
Top Bottom