• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Place to Learn About Knife Brands

RyanMc

NES Member
I’ve been clicking all over BladeHQ, but don’t think I can tell which brands are good quality and which are worth the money. I’m looking for a website or YouTube channel to do my research. Any suggestions?

P.S, I have a bunch of inexpensive blades. Looking for a higher quality EDC.

Ah, I see I found the discerning crowd.

My non-shooting interests are Scout leader, hiker, and fisherman.

Folding preferred. I lived through the 1980s so no need for butteryfly or throwing knives!

Price pretty much tracks with quality. How much you need, want, willing to spend is all on you. Figure out your price then buy something. If you don't know what you like there are cheap options to try out brands. IE Byrd knives are Spyderco's cheap brand, I have one and like it well enough.

Great place to start is BladeForums...

BladeForums.com

Step 1) Decide on a purpose for your knife. (camping/survival/bushcraft/defense/utility/custom)
Step 2) Decide on a price range, and then seek out the knife makers who fit into steps 1 & 2.
Step 3) Research the shit out of your options... here/youtube/google and everyone forgets books and magazines.
Step 4) Always try to buy the BEST knife you can afford for its intended use. That doesn't always mean the Most Expensive either...
Step 5) Narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 knives... then try and put each one of them in your hand.
Step 6) Hold it...Feel it...Love it?...BUY IT!

Lastly: Sometimes a knife that seemed "PERFECT" at first... looses its attraction.
No Worries! Sell it and repeat Steps 1 thru 6... [smile]

Life is Short... "BMK"...

Buy Many Knives.

Last edited:
The Usual Suspect Network was always a good one. Lots of tactical stuff but tons of sub forums and just about any type of knife both production and custom being discussed.

Damned Gay Manatees...

Does he still run the place? 15 or something years ago I tried resetting my password and reached out to him for help with it and he basically told me to eff off. So could not even tell you when I was last there. Vampire Gerbil was still around then, that I remember. He died a while after I left. After that I helped moderate the Badlands forums for a while, that was fun.

Does he still run the place? 15 or something years ago I tried resetting my password and reached out to him for help with it and he basically told me to eff off. So could not even tell you when I was last there. Vampire Gerbil was still around then, that I remember. He died a while after I left. After that I helped moderate the Badlands forums for a while, that was fun.
I don't peruse it that much anymore, and when I do it is with a very selective Search String...

It's funny how forums morph over time.

Tell me more, my friend. Not sure what you mean!!

Traditional:
31bbqwvrINL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Modern:
SP81GPLE2.jpg

Given your listed interests outside of firearms, maybe a Leatherman multi-tool or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife would suit you?

I don't peruse it that much anymore, and when I do it is with a very selective Search String...

It's funny how forums morph over time.

Knife forums was good for a while too, Mike Stewart of Bark River Knives used to post a lot of details about new steels and heat treating. He was porting on Jerzey Devil forum until that blew up.

Traditional:
31bbqwvrINL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Modern:
SP81GPLE2.jpg

Given your listed interests outside of firearms, maybe a Leatherman multi-tool or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife would suit you?

Perfect visual explanation. Thank you!!

I have an old Gerber multitool that’s great for everything but cutting. I find them awkward when trying to do easy cuts. And with Scouts, I’m always using my cheap folder for something.

Thanks again!!

Perfect visual explanation. Thank you!!

I have an old Gerber multitool that’s great for everything but cutting. I find them awkward when trying to do easy cuts. And with Scouts, I’m always using my cheap folder for something.

Thanks again!!
Yes. Thanks @golden chicken for the clarity. I have my eye on this one. Still if you prefer made in USA then there’s a bunch to choose from. This one is a cross between old and new. B211B817-67AB-466E-9470-167DD0F0DA49.jpeg

Who were these people on Bladeforums? I was there for years in the traditional section mostly. They were a decent crowd.

Who were these people on Bladeforums? I was there for years in the traditional section mostly. They were a decent crowd.
Spark ran the forum. VG was a big fixture there back then. As was Paracelsus and few others.

I left after the blow up with Strider Knives. They started Badlands about the same time USN started.

I sometimes think about searching for old posts over there just to see when I left.

For scout stuff, the multi-tool in your pack and a modern folder clipped in your pocket or on a belt will cover you for a lot of needs.

I tend not to pay a lot for folders because I've lost a few knives.
I't s less painful to lose a $50 or less knife than a $100+ knife.

Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom