• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best place to get optics

carny2k

NES Member
I'm looking to try and find a holosun 507k green dot optic for my p365xl but im new to them and wanted to find a decent place to but from

It's a 300$ optic at most places, not seeing much difference in price anywhere, nor in stock either. Find one in stock and go for it.

Ok wasn't sure if there was a preferred place. Ive found a few red dots in stock but I cant even find green dots out of stock

I'm very curious in green dots. Hope you find one so I can hear how you like it.

The color perceiving cones in everyone's eyes are slightly different, so I wouldn't go by another person's take on this preference. However, I'd say that green is generally superior in low/dim light where red can sometimes wash out if the ambient light color ends up on the warmer spectrum. But on the other end, green is supposed to wash out in broad sunlight for the exact same reason (ambient light getting closer to dot spectrum). Haven't had a chance to test that being in MA with only an indoor range, but I'm sure there's some truth to that. I like how quickly I could pick up green indoors, but did notice that on a pistol, my green night sights then became a distraction having three green irons dots and then another green dot for the sight. Everyone is going to have a difference preference though because everyone sees slightly differently.

The only real question is: Are red-green color blind people out of dot options?

Optics Planet is competitive... they will beat most places pricing, and if you qualify for any industry pricing MIL/LEO they are generally the cheapest in my experience

And then they get you the Optics bucks and keep you hooked. I’ve bought plenty from them, just don’t expect a quick turnaround, especially now.

The color perceiving cones in everyone's eyes are slightly different, so I wouldn't go by another person's take on this preference. However, I'd say that green is generally superior in low/dim light where red can sometimes wash out if the ambient light color ends up on the warmer spectrum. But on the other end, green is supposed to wash out in broad sunlight for the exact same reason (ambient light getting closer to dot spectrum). Haven't had a chance to test that being in MA with only an indoor range, but I'm sure there's some truth to that. I like how quickly I could pick up green indoors, but did notice that on a pistol, my green night sights then became a distraction having three green irons dots and then another green dot for the sight. Everyone is going to have a difference preference though because everyone sees slightly differently.

thanks for the write up. I read recently that people with astigmatism sometimes can have issues with dots especially red dots which unfortunately is true for me. its not terrible but I'd like to try a green. I have heard green can help with this. I recently got a p365xl with the romeo 0 and while i like the optic I'd like to try the green and if it helps I'll more than likely sell the romeo0.

thanks for the write up. I read recently that people with astigmatism sometimes can have issues with dots especially red dots which unfortunately is true for me. its not terrible but I'd like to try a green. I have heard green can help with this. I recently got a p365xl with the romeo 0 and while i like the optic I'd like to try the green and if it helps I'll more than likely sell the romeo0.

I have a minor astigmatism. I get fuzzy starbursts, not clean round dots. It didn't change at all from red to green. In fact, the green has so much more contrast in lower light that I felt it was worse.

I'm looking to try and find a holosun 507k green dot optic for my p365xl but im new to them and wanted to find a decent place to but from
My last three optics purchases
Spotting Scope , And 2 rifle scopes where from a On line Camera Shop and a “bird watchers” supply store.

I check for optics stuff in this order, Ebay, Amazon, Optics Planet, then wherever. If you find that shop who got stuck with 6 or the guy on Ebay who just didn't like it, the deals can be sweet and Ebay/PayPal backs you up if BS ensues.. next often Amazon sellers beat all the gun oriented places and similarly you can't beat Amazon policies.. last OP beats everyone in the gun industry on price, plus make sure you use a 5% coupon or a $15 off to sweeten the pot BUT make sure its in stock and expect a 2 week wait even then (probably comes sooner but that is an expectation to prevent anxiety over it).. OP does allow backorder and you can cancel an order online up until its in shipping process, so if nobody has em and you want to get in line for when they do that's a good option as well.

But what people are best equipped to see the yellow tracking dot on color printer output?

They just buy brown-dot scopes.

I have a minor astigmatism. I get fuzzy starbursts, not clean round dots. It didn't change at all from red to green. In fact, the green has so much more contrast in lower light that I felt it was worse.
I've grown a tad farsighted and was somehow surprised that
my CVS cheaters make my reflex sight(s) blurry.

Shared in anticipation of an explanation.
(Possibly including "@AHM's gonna die").

But what people are best equipped to see the yellow tracking dot on color printer output?
PDVD_141.BMP

I've grown a tad farsighted and was somehow surprised that
my CVS cheaters make my reflex sight(s) blurry.

I wasn't sure if I had a slight astigmatism at first, as my eyesight is actually pretty good for a 40 something. But I confirmed it doing the phone test. Photo of the scope picture is a perfect red dot (or green on that one). Just my eyes seeing the starburst. Only way I can get around it is with rifle BUIS looking through a peep. That doesn't help me with my pistol though. Also read polarized glasses might work for those with relatively minor fuzzy starburst issues.

I wasn't sure if I had a slight astigmatism at first, as my eyesight is actually pretty good for a 40 something. But I confirmed it doing the phone test. Photo of the scope picture is a perfect red dot (or green on that one). Just my eyes seeing the starburst. Only way I can get around it is with rifle BUIS looking through a peep. That doesn't help me with my pistol though. Also read polarized glasses might work for those with relatively minor fuzzy starburst issues.
Maybe I should add I meant that,
if I just don't wear corrective lenses,
I'm good to go.
Maybe I shouldn't add that; I dunno.

Maybe I should add I meant that,
if I just don't wear corrective lenses,
I'm good to go.
Maybe I shouldn't add that; I dunno.

Got it. That's possible, as cheaters aren't often top end glass. Might get a weird refraction from them.

This actually made me think of something I hadn't thought of before. I think I'm going to try to buy a sheet of A5 polarizing film and cut out a few circles and squares for my red dots to see if that helps. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $10. I'm thinking it might help, but could also make the sight picture darker. We'll see...

I have astigmatism in both eyes, still pull off a 25/20 in one and 20/20 in the other at 43 yo, but generally red dots for me and iron sights for that matter (have a hard time keeping focus with some fuzzy stuff going on especially when tired or with sun glistening) are short distance optics - I am perfectly effective but my groups suck because I can only see to like 4 MOA looking through the sights or due to the starburst.

So I favor etched optics usually on a carbine, give me a 2.5x or even a 1x etched like a spitfire.. however I will say someone here had me shooting his trijicon red dots and for whatever reason I see significantly less burst compared to my Sig dots - why I can't fathom but seems to matter for me.

I have astigmatism in both eyes, still pull off a 25/20 in one and 20/20 in the other at 43 yo, but generally red dots for me and iron sights for that matter (have a hard time keeping focus with some fuzzy stuff going on especially when tired or with sun glistening) are short distance optics - I am perfectly effective but my groups suck because I can only see to like 4 MOA looking through the sights or due to the starburst.

So I favor etched optics usually on a carbine, give me a 2.5x or even a 1x etched like a spitfire.. however I will say someone here had me shooting his trijicon red dots and for whatever reason I see significantly less burst compared to my Sig dots - why I can't fathom but seems to matter for me.

For me, I'm the one in the middle. But if I look through a peep sight with a small aperture, it looks like the one on the far left as it should.

ATIBAL-SIGHTS-RED-DOT-ASTIGMATISM-CHART.jpg

For me, I'm the one in the middle. But if I look through a peep sight with a small aperture, it looks like the one on the far left as it should.

ATIBAL-SIGHTS-RED-DOT-ASTIGMATISM-CHART.jpg

Ya that middle is me as well but at times its a cross between middle and to the right of it. I think I can deduce the middle but it makes poor groups.

You are right on the peep too, what I run into is the afternoon sun glistening around the edges of the sight kinda like the starburst dot - if I step back and take a minute, go back and concentrate hard but not too long, I can make a good group, if I keep at it and try to go too long my eyes bugout and things just disentagrate into a shotgun pattern.

are you sure the 507k comes in green?
HE507C-GR V2 thats the green dot that shows on holosun website.

I know nothing of this company

Prices on Holosun optics are about the same everywhere, so shop where you have a coupon or discount code. My last one came from Midway with a $50 Store gift certificate. The one before that from optics planet because I had a $15 off coupon. Before that from Amazon, and first was from Brownells because at the time, they actually had it in stock. Keep in mind that Brownells has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee on anything you buy there.

Back
Top Bottom