Best option for controlling safe humidity?

3 hours in the oven at 240 degrees - the ones I have are pretty old and seem to work fine. They have moisture indicators on them, mine never get too high but I still reactivate them a couple times a year just to be safe.

I had no idea that was possible. Thanks - one really can learn something new every day.

Recently just got a liberty safe extreme 60. Came with a peet air dryer but not to crazy about leaving something plugged in inside the safe after seeing reviews about them catching fire. Anyone have any experience using the Boveda 49% 2 way humidity packs for inside a safe? Read the recommendation by the NRA museum is 50% humidity.
the best way to control humidity in a safe is to control the humidity around the safe.
Buy a humidity gauge and hang it in the same room. Are you in your safe often? Do you leave the door open for extended times? Do that less if you do.
I use the cilica packs and VCI products.
Amazon product ASIN B003T1H7IAView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T1H7IA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003T1H7IA&linkCode=as2&tag=1911johnmac-20&linkId=f51eb9a778d10365526a54181885a953

any of the rechargeable moister absorbers will work also

I also have the style that you can plug it in to dry it. You only need to plug it in to dry it.
Amazon product ASIN B000H0XFCSView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFCS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000H0XFCS&linkCode=as2&tag=1911johnmac-20&linkId=925efa793f4db14c209ace78afd4e78a

Interesting so those zerust products leave a coating on the metal so to speak to prevent rust? Didn’t know they made products like that. So that in combination with a golden rod and maybe a silica product if need be you would be all set with metal/wood inside.

IMHO, if you're not controlling humidity in the room that the safe is in, then you're shoveling shit against the tide.
After that, I do like the type that you only plug em in to dry em out kind.
Just my $.02.
I was going to say dehunidify the room. I also have a big dessicant can inside the safe. Forgot the manufacturer, but i put it in the oven to dry it out once a year.

I don't use anything in my safes, but I wipe down every gun with a rag dampened with WD40. Whether I take a gun out for a day of shooting or just long enough to move it out of the way, the last thing that touches the gun is a rag with WD, never my bare hands.
And twice a year or so they all come out and get a patch down the bore with WD and then the entire gun gets it too. Metal, wood, plastic,...whatever.
I'm not sure how well it works long term. I've only been doing it since 1978 so I'll have to wait and see how they hold up. So far not a speck of rust or corrosion.
Let us know when you have conclusive data, lets see, started in '78, so 2028 should do it!

Wiping down your firearms is the best first defense against rust. Also, make sure to put oil on any small serrations, as those don't always get lubricated fully in a standard wipe down.

Interesting so those zerust products leave a coating on the metal so to speak to prevent rust? Didn’t know they made products like that. So that in combination with a golden rod and maybe a silica product if need be you would be all set with metal/wood inside.

This was the first thing that popped up on a Google search, but the ones that I use are from the same company but a little smaller with a different design (I use the Zerust Emitters):

The ones I use come with double-sided tape and I have a couple where the shotguns/rifles are and a couple where the pistols are. Then I have 2-4 more between the various shelves where ammo or parts are. In conjunction with the Golden Rod, the humidity is pretty much nonexistent. When I am home and it’s ok to do so (no guests, kids, etc.), I’ll leave the safe door open when I’m working in the room the safe is in to get fresh airflow into the safe. It’s been working for me (along with regular cleanings - I’m that guy that enjoys cleaning his guns and cleans them frequently, even when not in use).

One important note is that the Zerust pods will yellow papers and effect pictures over time, so all of those items are in a “fireproof” bag in a separate safe within the gun safe to limit direct exposure to the Zerust.

I've had Golden Rods plugged in for over 20 years. I just touch them now and then to make sure they still work. Never thought about unplugging them and won't. They do make other brands of rods these days but I see no need to buy imitations.
Same here. Golden Rod's been plugged into the same outlet since 2009. All I do is feel it once in a while... yup, it's warm.

This was the first thing that popped up on a Google search, but the ones that I use are from the same company but a little smaller with a different design (I use the Zerust Emitters):

The ones I use come with double-sided tape and I have a couple where the shotguns/rifles are and a couple where the pistols are. Then I have 2-4 more between the various shelves where ammo or parts are. In conjunction with the Golden Rod, the humidity is pretty much nonexistent. When I am home and it’s ok to do so (no guests, kids, etc.), I’ll leave the safe door open when I’m working in the room the safe is in to get fresh airflow into the safe. It’s been working for me (along with regular cleanings - I’m that guy that enjoys cleaning his guns and cleans them frequently, even when not in use).

One important note is that the Zerust pods will yellow papers and effect pictures over time, so all of those items are in a “fireproof” bag in a separate safe within the gun safe to limit direct exposure to the Zerust.
i dont think there is any good reason to air out your safe? Unless the air in the safe is damp vs the exterior ?
If your safe has a golden rod and its warmer than the air coming in you will get condensation on your colder metal. You might not see it but it happens.

if you have rifles or handguns you only inspect yearly the VCI storage bags are good also. Along with a rust preventive spray. The stuff i use has a odor to it thats a bit strong. Name escapes me , thats what happens when you have a can of something for 8-10 years or so.

Last edited:
I have a holder run and the pet boot drier in both. I also bought a cheap indoor/ outdoor wether station with an extra transmitter so I have a temp/humidity sensor in each. Temp around 70...humidity from 33 to 50%. Walk out basement. AC vents set to mostly closed but cracked open a bit to take the humidity out.

Since humidity has been covered ...

Coat your guns with a thin layer of Renaissance Wax.

You can find it on Amazon. It is very easy to work with, will not damage any surface, will prevent wood from cracking, and can also be used around the house for furniture and metals.

The wax will help prevent rust and it is better than oil for long term storage.

+1 on MAC1911's suggestion on the rechargable Eva Dry units. I have four and I charge them up weekly during the summer to address humidity.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73MPyMNkB4

They work great and a good deal for 2 here

Amazon product ASIN B00LVN7BM0View: https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier-2-PACK/dp/B00LVN7BM0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6

Costco had them a year or two ago, a lot cheaper than Azn too. I bought 2 double packs and have them in my safes in addition to golden rods.

i dont think there is any good reason to air out your safe? Unless the air in the safe is damp vs the exterior ?
If your safe has a golden rod and its warmer than the air coming in you will get condensation on your colder metal. You might not see it but it happens.

I have a modular safe so it’s not like it’s air-tight to begin with, and I do wipe them down with oil pretty often. Opening the door is an old habit I picked up somewhere along the way.

But you do make a good point.

If you're interested in Zerust products, I suggest going to their website and purchase directly from them. Free shipping over $30, they don't charge tax, and their pricing is way better than Amazon (although mac1911's Amazon link was a purchase direct from Zerust, at just a hair more than Zerust direct pricing).
They have a few sizes of rifle bags, several pistol bags, and their various emitters. I also bought a roll of their tool box drawer liner to try out- I'm having some rust issues with tools in the garage rollaway.
The cost of items seems reasonable, but it was still real easy to go over $30.
Ralph

As of right now with just the peet dryer (waiting on golden rod to come in) my safe sits at 73.3 degrees and 47.7% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom