• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best method of concealment?

I'm a huge fan of the 1911, however I have yet to find a way to effectively conceal it on my person.

Being 5'8" and 165#, I'm not particularly big, so wearing a big shirt when carrying it on a belt doesn't work.

Thanks,
-Mike

Just like the real estate mantra: Location, location, location; a good concealment setup is all about the holster. The slim profile of the 1911 should mean that it is not a difficult firearm to conceal despite its size. So this may boil down to the holster you are using and the belt that you are using, if you dont short yourself on those two you really shouldnt have any issues other than your style of dress, for which you can cater you method of carry.

What is your current set up?

I'm not sure what it is called, but I have this vest made by Kramer which works great. I'm 99% sure I got it from Sportsman's Guide, but I can't seem to find it on their website anymore.

01-02-08_1057.jpg

What you need is a GOOD inside the waistband holster with a 15 to 20 degree cant and a VERY GOOD belt.

1911s are very slim and hide a lot eaiser than double stack pistols.

What works for me is a Sidearmor (www.sidearmor.com) IWB holster with a 15 degree cant, and a 1 3/4" polymer lined Wilderness belt (www.thewilderness.com). If I were you I'd order a few different cants and see what works for you. Sidearmor offers 5, 15, and 20 degree cants. Placement around 3:30 - 4:00 is what I find most comfortable.

Hiding under just a t-shirt is very doable with this setup.

The other advantage of concealing a 1911 over other pistol designs is the single stack magazine. It is very easy to hide single stack magazines on your belt. I always carry 2 spare mags on my left side at 3:00 in Sidearmor 1911 magazine carriers. I can carry and effectively conceal 5 or more.

I'm not sure what it is called, but I have this vest made by Kramer which works great. I'm 99% sure I got it from Sportsman's Guide, but I can't seem to find it on their website anymore.

01-02-08_1057.jpg

I don't think that holster shirt contraption is going to hold up to well to a full size 1911.

That's my full size 1911 in there right now.

It's stretched a bit over the years, but not enough to cause any problems.

I have a Milt Sparks Axiom holster and a 1 1/2 inch Beltman gun belt. It lets me carry a 45 pretty well, and I'm 5'3".

The cant of the holster needs to be just right for me, to get the grip tucked in against my waist, and tight under my "Lats".

With a loose, long, dark colored pullover, or an untucked, heavy, flannel shirt over a T-Shirt,...you'd be surprised what you can carry.

You need to try on several TOP QUALITY holsters with a good gun belt.

I don't carry my full size 45 often, but when I do the Axiom works great. Some people really like the Milt Sparks Versa Max, for Inside waistband carry.

Others like the Com Tech Kydex holster.

The belt has SOOOOOO much to do with it. Invest in good carry gear.

Even then, you might find the big 45 too much to carry, and go to pocket carry with a good Smith J frame. I find that most effective.

I have to advise against the Comp-Tac C-Tac for a 1911. I found the sweatshield to be to small and set at a funny angle. It dug into my sides. The belt loop design they use doesn't latch onto a belt well enough to securely stablize a full size pistol. That holster design would work better for smalller and lighter guns.

HopHead: +1. The C-Tac is great for a walther PPK but sucks in a big way for the 1911.

I use a MiltSparks VM2, and a 1.25" BeltMan belt to carry my 1911, comfortable all day.

You will end up dressing around a 1911, if you can't/wont do that get a S&W J-Frame.

AE

IMO the only way to fly is to experiment. What works for one
guy/body type won't work for another, etc. There isn't really
a "best"- "Best" is a moving target. Some of the best solutions
out there are "Homebrewed" also. (eg, altered clothing, holsters
attached to back supports, etc).

-Mike

Thank you all for your advice, I didn't expect this many responses and I appreciate it.

Currently I have no setup, when in SD I carry a simple Kel-tec .32. I've tried to carry my brother's 1911s before with his hip holster, but it just sticks out way too far.

Kimber, does the shirt make it difficult to draw? I was thinking of something similar, or maybe one the would tuck nicely under my armpit, but I'd also like ease of draw.

Thank you,
-Mike

Kimber, does the shirt make it difficult to draw? I was thinking of something similar, or maybe one the would tuck nicely under my armpit, but I'd also like ease of draw.

Thank you,
-Mike

Yes, it is slower than a holster just because you have to go through your outershirt to get to the gun. I only use it when I'm wearing a button up shirt to the office or zipper front around town.

I have to advise against the Comp-Tac C-Tac for a 1911. I found the sweatshield to be to small and set at a funny angle. It dug into my sides. The belt loop design they use doesn't latch onto a belt well enough to securely stablize a full size pistol. That holster design would work better for smalller and lighter guns.

I find that my CTAC works well for my commander-sized 1911, but you have to get it in the right spot. With a sweatshirt over it, no one's the wiser.

I'm sitting here right now with my Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac C-Tac. It's about the same size as my old 1911 Commander, but with a slightly wider grip. I usually have to check to verify that I have it on. I wear it with a good belt and never have encountered any problem in stabilizing it. I'd suspect that the real culprit is the belt.

Ken

A Glock 19 is hardly the same size and weight as a 1911, but perhaps stablize is the wrong choice of words. The C-TAC holster shifts position on the belt because it uses clips instead of real belt loops. The clips are a poor design for a full size pistol. I think if you used a holster with real belt loops you'd see a significant difference.

A bigger problem with a 1911 and a C-TAC is the design of the sweatshield. It has an odd shape and is very uncomfortable.

I'm 5'9" and 185. If I can conceal a 4" K frame revolver (which is as long as a 5" 1911, just as heavy, and quite a bit wider) with either an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck) or OWB (FIST #9) with nothing more than a loose, untucked shirt, sweatshirt, or sportcoat, you can hide a 1911.

I also have a hard time believing that a CTAC will not support a full size gun. My Supertuck uses Comp-Tac clips and they have never worked loose from my belt when wearing a fully loaded (40 ounces) Model 65.

The C-TAC holster shifts position on the belt because it uses clips instead of real belt loops. The clips are a poor design for a full size pistol.

I see. And I still disagree. Again, while I don't carry my K frame in a CTAC, I carry it in an IWB holster that uses CTAC clips. With both Cordura and leather belts, I have never experienced any shifting in any direction. The clips grip the belt so tightly that once on, I cannot slide the belt around.

And a S&W Model 65 with a 4" barrel is definitely a full size gun in length and weight.

I carry my G29 @ SOB using a CTAC, I have the left handed rig as its more comfortable for me to draw overhand than underhand. I find it the only way I can conceal while wearing tighter shirts and jeans. I find my spare mag prints more than my pistol does. OWB carry is even do-able with a slim 1911 as long as you have a good holster that rides high and tucks in tight.

On a side note I'm starting to feel like Batman with all the stuff I have for my CCW setup. I have my G29 in a CTAC, G20 mag w/ A&G sleeve in a Fobus, Surefire C3 w/ P91 lamp clipped to belt, and a Gerber multi-tool. I'm gonna be picking up a Comp Tac flashlight/mag holder combo soon though.

Back
Top Bottom