• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best MA-compliant Government Frame 1911?

Hi all - brand new to the forum.

I’m in the market for a new 1911 with the 5” barrel/Government Frame. Not planning to carry with it - just home defense and fun at the range.

I have relatively small and fat hands if that matters. I don’t love the grip on the smaller 1911s that I’ve tried.

My budget is $1000-1200 all in. I’m not a first time shooter but this will be the first handgun I’ve owned.

I’m looking for advice specifically around manufacturer/model and also magazines, as I’ve read that several mags can cause problems with 1911s. I’ve also read about problems with the ejector and have seen it referenced on some youtube videos but nothing specific. If anyone has advice around that as well it would be helpful.

Thanks e’rybody!

There's no reason to constrain yourself to mass compliant bs, but if I was "forced" I'd probably end up with some kind of a springfield, I would think they have to have some shit on the list
by now as they added a whole bunch of guns a few years ago and some dealers actually sell them.

Carbon steel , series 70 Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson. You can also fix these things yourself if something breaks or needs tuning.

I have Chip Mcormick 10rd mags for my 1911 and they have never let me down..

I really like the Steel Smith 1911s, sent mine to greg derr for some love. If you budgeted a bit more you could get an STI/SVI 1911.

I really like the Steel Smith 1911s, sent mine to greg derr for some love. If you budgeted a bit more you could get an STI/SVI 1911.
A bit more?

STIs aren't as much, but SVIs start at a bit over $4K. Gotta keep the shop dogs fed.

I'm pretty sure I've seen used SVI's for less than half that. Maybe I'm thinking of STI? Or maybe it was a frame/slide kit.

Probably a STI or some mixmaster gun. Mixmasters really don't count.

STI used to have some affordable guns but they're basically in disarray right now, they have some flukey new name, etc. Pain in the ass company.

They used to make a bunch of awesome single stack guns, too.

Can’t go wrong with anything from Dan Wesson in my opinion.
can you get one in his budget?
For just out of the box use. E series S&W.
i have a few 1911's including an e series. pretty much entry level but one heck of a 1911, i love mine, it was an impulse buy. only gun i ever bought cause i loved it's looks. i'd have no problem buying a newer colt 1911 seres 80 that's in your range. i picked up one on a whim about 6 years ago and think highly of that also.
I have Chip Mcormick...
i'm a loyal chip mccormick/shooting star customer from years ago in my ipsc days. great stuff. i heard he sold the company...to wilson combat???? i think. oddly, wilson and me have been at odds for years, i don't use their stuff.

and there are several boutique makers of 1911's. take a look at them too. but a with a few you'll get sticker shock.

The used market is available as well, for those with patience. My best 1911 is a Randall A131 from about 1985, and that was squarely within the OP's budget.

can you get one in his budget?

i have a few 1911's including an e series. pretty much entry level but one heck of a 1911, i love mine, it was an impulse buy. only gun i ever bought cause i loved it's looks. i'd have no problem buying a newer colt 1911 seres 80 that's in your range. i picked up one on a whim about 6 years ago and think highly of that also.

The E should be in budget, and the E brings a very good stock trigger. Maybe not up to custom levels, but averages better than most out of the box sub $1000 1911s I have tried. When Colt and Springfield hit the stores in MA I had a hard time finding one from either that I felt were worth the price. All sorts of small issues. All fixable or might even break in, but at that point getting the S&W was just easier. They may have gotten better, but I tried Colts with really gritty triggers, slides that would not unlock if you racked the slide, you had to push the lever down and a list of other small things when they first hit shelves.

I'm pretty sure I've seen used SVI's for less than half that. Maybe I'm thinking of STI? Or maybe it was a frame/slide kit.
A used SVI for under $2K is certainly possible, especially if you are not talking about compensated and scoped open guns with a decent supply of pre-ban mags.

STI has had 1911s at various price points over the years, including the STI Trojan - or was it the Spartan? DRGRANT is causing me to doubt my memory as to which it was. While it is a decent enough gun, the Trojan was a Phillippine made cast 1911, not one machined in the US from bar stock like their higher end 1911s and 1911oids. This is not a reason to avoid used STIs, but be sure you know what you are buying and don't automatically assume the used 1911 is their best and finest. I am not aware of any imports or second sourcing of STI wide bodies.

SVI is different, in that there has never been a lower end, import or cast gun sold with their name. Current production is 4340 that is just a bit tougher than 4140, plus there have been several iterations of barrels - conventional stainless, TiN plated stainless, TiN plated stainless with gain twist rifling and most recently 4340 barrels with TiN or some other PVD coating. The slide design changed with the addition of interchangeable breechfaces, and is changing again with a new internal extractor (this design is way cool and is not visible externally like the S&W style pivoting extractor). These are all small details to consider when evaluating a used SVI for purchase.

Last edited:
if you want something that is inexpensive looks gov't why not get a rock island.
on the low end of the price scale, as far as i am concerned, i like mine and i have several other colt gov't staRTING OUT FROM 1914.
LIKE THE WAY IT WORKS AND WON'T BREAK THE BANK.

Live a little and have Greg Derr build you what you want.

I was looking at these - they look ridiculously expensive (and amazing). Do you buy a stock 1911 and he modifies it or does he handle everything start to finish?

I don’t think I need a showpiece like some of his work - just want something as reliable as possible that doesn’t require any machining or that sort of thing. I’m comfortable taking one apart and keeping it well maintained - particularly the short rod models that seem easier to dissemble.

I was looking at these - they look ridiculously expensive (and amazing). Do you buy a stock 1911 and he modifies it or does he handle everything start to finish?

Either or. He has some pistols and will build what you want on them or you can bring him what you have and work out a plan on what will be done to it.

I don’t think I need a showpiece like some of his work - just want something as reliable as possible that doesn’t require any machining or that sort of thing. I’m comfortable taking one apart and keeping it well maintained - particularly the short rod models that seem easier to dissemble.

You can also look in the classifieds. There is a BEC .45 listed there that looks really nice.

Bob

I’ve had good luck with my 2 Sig 1911’s.

Shot my carry scorpion in a idpa match last Sat.

I do like the Dan Wesson’s also.

A used SVI for under $2K is certainly possible, especially if you are not talking about compensated and scoped open guns with a decent supply of pre-ban mags.

STI has had 1911s at various price points over the years, including the STI Trojan. While it is a decent enough gun, the Trojan was a Phillippine made cast 1911, not one machined in the US from bar stock like their higher end 1911s and 1911oids. This is not a reason to avoid used STIs, but be sure you know what you are buying and don't automatically assume the used 1911 is their best and finest. I am not aware of any imports or second sourcing of STI wide bodies.

SVI is different, in that there has never been a lower end, import or cast gun sold with their name. Current production is 4340 that is just a bit tougher than 4140, plus there have been several iterations of barrels - conventional stainless, TiN plated stainless, TiN plated stainless with gain twist rifling and most recently 4340 barrels with TiN or some other PVD coating. The slide design changed with the addition of interchangeable breechfaces, and is changing again with a new internal extractor (this design is way cool and is not visible externally like the S&W style pivoting extractor). These are all small details to consider when evaluating a used SVI for purchase.

This is great info, thanks!

Even though the e-series is "entry level" whatever that even means. It's got a checkered front strap, serrated slide top and rear of slide as well as night sights. Not sure what more you could really want. It's even got "fancy" slide serrations which look good and work. Comes in full size and commander and with or without a rail as well.

Even though the e-series is "entry level" whatever that even means. It's got a checkered front strap, serrated slide top and rear of slide as well as night sights. Not sure what more you could really want. It's even got "fancy" slide serrations which look good and work. Comes in full size and commander and with or without a rail as well.

Comes in a version with a bobbed mainspring housing, too. If you want it.

I owned one for several years and I never thought of it as "entry level." It does everything you need it to. When I hear entry level, I think AO or R1.

was referring to the dan wesson. e series is an 800 dollar entry level pistol.

Lol an E series if you get a 1911TA is about $1200 new. Maybe 900-1000 used.

I wouldn't call it entry level. It's a couple notches above it, but it's still in MIM poop land, but a decent gun.

It's not a 400-500 foreign repro 1911 that's for sure.

STI has had 1911s at various price points over the years, including the STI Trojan. While it is a decent enough gun, the Trojan was a Phillippine made cast 1911, not one machined in the US from bar stock like their higher end 1911s and 1911oids. This is not a reason to avoid used STIs, but be sure you know what you are buying and don't automatically assume the used 1911 is their best and finest. I am not aware of any imports or second sourcing of STI wide bodies.

I thought that was the Spartan, not the Trojan. The Trojan cost considerably more than a spartan did. For all I know they could both have both been import frames, though.

-Mike

i'm a loyal chip mccormick/shooting star customer from years ago in my ipsc days. great stuff. i heard he sold the company...to wilson combat???? i think. oddly, wilson and me have been at odds for years, i don't use their stuff.

Well, now they are one in the same, at least as far as a company goes.

CMC is good, but if you or your gun doesn't like Wilsons, something is probably wrong with either. CMC is great for the money but it ain't a wilson 47D, ETM, etc.

Wilson might be a prick about IDPA rules but they make good magazines. [rofl]

-Mike

I thought that was the Spartan, not the Trojan. The Trojan cost considerably more than a spartan did. For all I know they could both have both been import frames, though.

-Mike
It is quite possible you are correct. I haven't exactly spent the night at the STI factory.

CMC is good, but if you or your gun doesn't like Wilsons, something is probably wrong with either.
when i was shooting competition, the mags i had problems with were wilson. this was so long ago, like when they put out the then new 8 round mags. never investigated why they wouldn't reliably work, just went mccormick 100%. did you notice i didn't trash wilson and scream boycott? just said we were at odds. still have a ton of wilsons around.

wilson use to run great sales on mccormick/shooting star stuff over the years at least once a year. it's where i'd stock up on my mccormicks for short money.

Back
Top Bottom