• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best MA-compliant Government Frame 1911?

Lol an E series if you get a 1911TA is about $1200 new. Maybe 900-1000 used.

I wouldn't call it entry level. It's a couple notches above it, but it's still in MIM poop land, but a decent gun.

It's not a 400-500 foreign repro 1911 that's for sure.
yep [laugh]
this one is my "e" i got for $793 out the door at 4s several years ago. his latest price in the newer "were open" emails is just north of 800. still a bargain for the money. here's mine. the addition of the esmeralda grips almost pushed it to $900 and seriously, i'd use this out of the box if i were gonna shoot competition again. i thought this was a pretty gun but also has the best factory trigger i've encountered in years, especially in massachusetts.

smith.jpg

OP the Sig Sauer 1911 Emperor Scorpion is right in your price range at $1050.

It is has an external extractor and Sig's non-traditional squared profile slide if that matters to you, it doesn't to me.

It is all stainless steel, with a rail, and comes stock with Siglite night sights.
The nice front strap checkering and excellent Hogue G10 "Piranha" Magwell Grips and main spring housing make it feel glued to your hand.

It feeds everything, I have never had a stoppage, and Sig 1911 magazine are made by Check-Mate Ind. and are GTG.

The gun has good accuracy and is a pleasant shooter (soft push).

I have a good number of guns to select from but this is my choice for a home defense pistol and it is sitting on the table here now.
It is also one of the coolest looking guns I own, so that is a bonus.

There is a "Mass compliant version," and while mine is not, I am going to guess that the only difference is the MA version would have that notch in the breach as a loaded chamber indicator.

I tried to address your questions and hope this helps.

🐯

Lots of stuff available for the price range as listed above.. but what about an older Colt Series 70.

ahhh, external extractors, lol. yeah, don't matter to me any more but in the day, if you busted an internal in a match, you could change it yourself in minutes and be on your way with only 1 lost stage. external...over my pay grade to change in the field. something that doesn't enter the conversation any more unless you're a purest.

I've had great luck with my sig 1911 and it's well within the OPs budget. If you are concerned about extractor issues, the sig and I believe the S&W use an external extractor. Works great but is non-traditional for the 1911 platform.

I've burned through a bunch of 1911s.

S&W makes decent guns that run, but they're not traditional "Series 70s" in style and are not particularly nice. But they do run, generally.

Greg Derr guns are super nice and Greg himself is an artist and an awesome dude. But $1200 isn't going to get you half of a gun from his bench, I assume.

STI made some pretty solid guns, but they don't make single-stacks anymore. They're nice people so I imagine they'd service the older single stacks but they do seem to be trying to leave that business behind. They're even changing their name, although clearly the messaging about this hasn't made it far yet.

Colt makes guns in your price range, and many are nice. However, if you get a bad one, which you might, you're in deep trouble as their service is almost universally regarded as awful.

Springfield makes good guns, most of which are traditional Series 70s, and the high end versions (such as TRPs) are nicer than S&Ws and Colt. Their service is pretty good, and you can just buy them off the shelf. They are right at the top of your price range. The TRP would be my recommendation. The only thing I don't like about these is that they regulate them to hit at the front dot rather than the top of the front blade. So a replacement front site may be in order, taking them slightly above your price range.

I've owned 1911s from all of the sources above. Greg Derr's is the nicest. The TRP rides my holster. The STI rides the safe. The Colt and S&W are gone and I don't miss the Colt.

Here's my thread asking a similar question a while ago.

If you get a 1911 with proprietary parts, find out about spares. For example, the S&W extractor is what I call a semi-fitted part - the assembler may try a few to get one that fits really nicely. The downside of this is that S&W will not sell you a spare extractor; you have to send the gun back to them to have one installed.

Other manufacturers will sell parts, but be sure you have confidence in your single source. The Para-Ord power extractor and SVI extractor in the breechface come to mind - though the later is the first improvement on the traditional extractor that I actually like. I plan on having my SVIs upgraded, but my pilgrimage to the holy land (Gordon, Texas) was delayed by TEOTWAKI, so I may have to send the guns or slide/bbl assemblies down.

SVI still makes single stacks, but they are unfortunately not an exception to the "expect to spend $4k+" rule.

Springfield makes good guns . . . The TRP would be my recommendation. The only thing I don't like about these is that they regulate them to hit at the front dot rather than the top of the front blade.
My experience with a TRP (new in Jan 2019) sights is polar opposite. .45 ACP. Out of the box the point of impact at 15 yards was around 3 inches above the top of the front blade, and beyond 15 yards was increasingly higher. Custom front sight from Trijicon's recommended custom house cured it.

My experience with a TRP (new in Jan 2019) sights is polar opposite. .45 ACP. Out of the box the point of impact at 15 yards was around 3 inches above the top of the front blade, and beyond 15 yards was increasingly higher. Custom front sight from Trijicon's recommended custom house cured it.
My previous post indicates mine was high, too. My mistake.

Springfield regulated it properly when I sent it back for a dead front site capsule.

At the $1200 price point, I would rather have an $800 base gun with $400 of "reliability package" from a qualified 1911 gunsmith compared to any $1200 stock 1911. I realize the difficulty in finding a qualified smith. But for anyone who has this option, it is the way I would go. And for choosing the base gun, I would ask the gunsmith what he prefers to work on.

That's an incredible price for a TRP. I paid $1150 for an E series with rail like 5 years ago at northeast? On rte. 1

For $1,200, look at the Colt Competition (blued or stainless). I have the stainless and absolutely love it. One of my favorite range toys/night stand guns. Mine is a Series 70.

The best 1911 I have ever had is the one in my avatar. It was $1100 from an auction. It turned out to be a Jim Hoag complete package. A former employee who's still in the business told me it was a "A" package which was one step down from his Master model. Not only was it smooth as butter and accurate but it was hard chromed so likely to never wear enough to need servicing. If you don't know any of the old master's works like and Hoag and Swenson it is worth a read in order to know how to identify them. They go for reasonable money if they aren't recognized as I have a second one now and have seen others. These were the smiths who invented most of what we take for granted as features on modern 1911's and were instrumental in establishing practical pistol competition back in the 60's with Jeff Cooper. It is all ancient history now and mostly forgotten which is why their work can be found frequently undervalued if you search.
There is a nice carry piece in the classified's from BEC. It is just above your price asking $1500.

I’m not a first time shooter but this will be the first handgun I’ve owned.

I’m looking for advice specifically around manufacturer/model and also magazines, as I’ve read that several mags can cause problems with 1911s. I’ve also read about problems with the ejector and have seen it referenced on some youtube videos but nothing specific. If anyone has advice around that as well it would be helpful.

I'm not sure if you're still reading this but since not many people have responded to the rest of this;

1. The 1911 is probably not a fantastic first handgun in this day and age. There are examples out there that just don't work right, lots of factory models have things that need to be changed (like sights), and .45 ACP is more expensive and higher recoil than a 9mm. The 1911 basically requires third-party magazines and while a good one doesn't need much maintenance, you probably should give it some. The thumb safety requires at least a bit of practice to add to a draw if you're using it for home defense, and you need a quality holster that protects the trigger and safety if you're storing it loaded.

2. Most 1911s like whatever Wilson is making as their high-end these days (ETMs?) and Tripp Cobra-mags. Some like Checkmate or CMC magazines. I run WIlsons and Tripps; the Tripps for JHPs.

3. The internet shit about extended ejectors is mostly bogus. Just watch what you're doing when ejecting live rounds.

4. Many 1911s have kinda shitty extractors that need maintenance.

My general advice is don't get a low-capacity, old design in .45 ACP as a first handgun. Get it as a second handgun after a plastic gun in 9mm. Lest you think I'm a 1911 hater, I currently carry a full-sized TRP in 45. But it's a gun for people who want to learn all about the platform. If that's not you, get something plastic in 9mm.

I’m enthusiastic about the platform and thing the whole 1911 thing is fascinating, but I’m also not very hand. I mean, I’ve stripped one before to clean it but I’m not someone that is ever gonna machine parts myself and such.

I hear you on the HD thing - most people have been telling me exactly what you did, so that’ll be my first choice but I’m still drawn in by the 1911 platform. All of this info has been very very helpful - thanks all!

I would recommend a 9mm 1911 over a 45 (personal preference)

heresy-burn-the-witch.jpg

🐯

I would recommend a 9mm 1911 over a 45 (personal preference)

I don't know why, but I can never get my head wrapped around a 1911 in any caliber other than .45ACP. I'm sure the 38 Supers and 9mms are fantastic guns, but a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP (or 10mm) is just way out there.

I don't know why, but I can never get my head wrapped around a 1911 in any caliber other than .45ACP. I'm sure the 38 Supers and 9mms are fantastic guns, but a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP (or 10mm) is just way out there.

It's because 9mm 1911s are f***ing dumpster fires. [rofl] Basically 50% of them are broken out of the box and either require buying a bunch of magazines that "it likes" or getting the gun
tuned etc. Especially the cheapo ones. They do shoot nice, when working, though.

I know a Texas Ranger who carries a 9mm 1911 on duty. His SVI single stack 1911 in a yaqui slide style holster says "TX Ranger" much more than a Glock would.

It's because 9mm 1911s are f***ing dumpster fires. [rofl] Basically 50% of them are broken out of the box and either require buying a bunch of magazines that "it likes" or getting the gun
tuned etc. Especially the cheapo ones. They do shoot nice, when working, though.
I've seen plenty of good 1911 9mm that run perfectly. My Trojan, a couple Dan Wesson pm9s, a colt competition, a colt gold cup trophy, and sigs all shot regularly in uspsa and idpa that were reliable.

I agree crap cheap 1911s generally are risky. One Remington drive a guy crazy. But the rock islands seem safe too.

I've seen plenty of good 1911 9mm that run perfectly. My Trojan, a couple Dan Wesson pm9s, a colt competition, a colt gold cup trophy, and sigs all shot regularly in uspsa and idpa that were reliable.
I've never seen a 9m 1911, other than custom competion open division 1911s, running 9mm in USPSA. It doesn't make major in Limited of Single Stack division, so it only makes sense in a 1911 in Open (race gun) division.

Back
Top Bottom