Best Ma compliant 1911?

The shops in my area don't have much for a 1911 selection. Any body recommend a MA COMPLIANT 1911 I could order? Can I get a Dan Wesson, or Springfield trp, what's the best 1911 I can get in my state for 1200-1600$$

Normally I would say one of the S&W 1911s, but it seems over the last few years their quality control has gone way downhill. I'd be very leary about buying a S&W 1911 or anything out of their performance shop today.

If you are willing to spend the money for a "best" gun. You can afford to spend a small premium for a non-approved gun.

Greg Derr can build you a swell gun with your own receiver. It will probably cost $3000 and it will be a gem.

For less money you can buy a Les Baer or Dan Wesson even with the MA premium. It won't be as nice as something Greg makes for you. But it will still be a very very nice gun.

I tried to sell my Les Baer Premier II on this site for $1800 a couple of years ago and got no takers. So the market isn't as strong as many may think.

I guess my point is that if you want a nice 1911, don't limit yourself to MA approved guns. You may find a face to face deal on a Wilson or Nighthawk or something really great.

Don

Part of the problem selling a 1911 for $1800 is one someonme jumps into that price range they are not looking for a deal, but exactly what they want.

I've seen one Les Baer advertised advertised as forged which split the frame on a case head rupture. Metallurgical analysis showed steel consistent eith 1141 hot rolled plate steel with no evidence of forging (as shown my 200x migrographic analysis after nital etch). I've seen another that was ordered as a 40 caliber with compensator (even said 40 cal right on the slide) which had a 45ACP comp hole and 45ACP slide. Yes, really. The owner eventually had iti changed to a 45 - just by putting in a new barrel/extractor/ejector. So, I consider anything from Baer "unsuitable".

I thinik SVI (www.sviguns.com) is at the top of the heap for custom production guns (each one is built to customer order), but they start at about $3K. Each one is produced under the supervision of a wandering pack of canines.

i'm very happy w the Sig 1911. well built gun. well over 4k rounds no malfunctions. shoots any ammo. any mag. can't say that about other 1911's I've owned (and sold them all except the Rock Island and the Sig).

wouldn't buy any new S&W's even if they were half off. their current production firearms belong in a dumpster.

Normally I would say one of the S&W 1911s, but it seems over the last few years their quality control has gone way downhill. I'd be very leary about buying a S&W 1911 or anything out of their performance shop today.
can you explain in more detail please.....[grin]

i'm very happy w the Sig 1911. well built gun. well over 4k rounds no malfunctions. shoots any ammo. any mag. can't say that about other 1911's I've owned (and sold them all except the Rock Island and the Sig).

wouldn't buy any new S&W's even if they were half off. their current production firearms belong in a dumpster.

+1 for Sig. I have a TTT and Love it.

can you explain in more detail please.....[grin]

I have personal knowledge/experience with 4 or 5 new guns purchased from their performance center and all of them had to go back for quality control or performance issues. These were 1911s and revolvers.

I am a big fan of S&W revolvers and own many, but it will be a while before I'm ready to buy a new one from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have personal knowledge/experience with 4 or 5 new guns purchased from their performance center and all of them had to go back for quality control or performance issues. These were 1911s and revolvers.

I am a big fan of S&W revolvers and own many, but it will be a while before I'm ready to buy a new one from them again.

count me in here too. my faith in S&W's current quality is zero.

I have a few Pro series S&W 1911s from around 2010. The quality has been excellent, and one is for sale in the classifieds now if you're interested /ShamelessPlug

But more seriously, they were my carry guns for years, so if you can find a used one from that time period you should be good to go.

count me in here too. my faith in S&W's current quality is zero

guys, not trying to pick a fight here, just looking for something specific. [grin]

i bought 2 e series 1911's, what?... 4 - 41/2 years now. the full size 1911 is a brilliant gun. regular production line gun, fit, finish, and function, it can compete with any sub 1000 dollar 1911 pistol out there. never fired my other one, the 1911sc. just an impulse buy at the time. but cosmetically, nothing wrong with it.

but, i'm looking at a couple of custom shop revolvers as well as a 1911 now. just wondering is all, not calling anyone out here, that is not my intention. [grin]

MA "list" pertains to dealer transfers, not personal transfers or ownership. If you are going to spend that much, get what you want!

For the money I love my SR1911. Shoots better and a better trigger than my Sig XO. Glad I passed on an E-Series and got the Ruger for a lot less.

Performance Center guns aren't what they were in the 90s. Back then it was truly a custom shop.

Now, it seems it exists just to fluff guns a bit to get extra margin.

The best MA approved 1911 would probably be the STI target master

The problem with the Target master is that its too damn long to fit the USPSA box.

In a conversation with a MA STI retailer, we discussed what it takes for a gun to be on the 'target roster'. If STI made a one page pamphlet advertisement promoting all of their models as being competitive in USPSA/IDPA/Steel challenge, that would be enough to get all of their models on the roster.

In a conversation with a MA STI retailer, we discussed what it takes for a gun to be on the 'target roster'. If STI made a one page pamphlet advertisement promoting all of their models as being competitive in USPSA/IDPA/Steel challenge, that would be enough to get all of their models on the roster.
It also takes a proper presentation (best if done by skilled counsel, but not a necessity) and application to the GCAB (gun control advisory board).

It is NOT enough to prove the gun is useful for competition. The manufacturer must demonstrate and certify that the gun was marketed exclusively for formal target shooting competition. One ad that the gun is "both practical and tactical" targeting defensive use as well can result in a rejected application, or a manufactuer's legal counsel unable to certify the "exclusive" part of the requirement.

It is my understanding that the GCAB requests copies of ALL ads from the past 3 years for a firearm under application.

It is cognizance as to the import of these little details that can mean the difference between inclusion on the roster and a rejection letter.

Last edited:
Nothing to compare it to since it's the only one I've owned so far but, I'm perfectly happy with my Ruger 1911.

For the money I love my SR1911. Shoots better and a better trigger than my Sig XO. Glad I passed on an E-Series and got the Ruger for a lot less.

Good to hear. Just picked up my first 1911 (Ruger SR1911 Full Size) at the Marlboro gun show. Haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet.

Passed on the S&W E-Series as well. Nice-looking firearm, but would have cost me an extra $150 or so.

I'd buy a Ruger (seriously) then take it to Greg Derr and put a 1000 dollars worth of customization in the gun. That way you get something unique to yourself.

Otherwise look for a used Wilson Combat or similar but seriously you can get a very nice 1911 by purchasing a stock gun and having it customized.

I'd buy a Ruger (seriously) then take it to Greg Derr and put a 1000 dollars worth of customization in the gun. That way you get something unique to yourself.

Otherwise look for a used Wilson Combat or similar but seriously you can get a very nice 1911 by purchasing a stock gun and having it customized.

This is good advice.

I would seriously consult Greg before buying a ruger and dumping 1000$ more into it. I want to say Greg can guide you into spending 1600-2000$ better?

This is good advice if you want a great shooting gun and plan to keep it.

Its terrible advice if you are the kind of guy who flips guns after a couple of years since you will only get a fraction of what you spend with Gregg back in a sale.

In my humble opinion, the best guns to buy, from both a performance and an investment perspective are used guns in good condition from medium to high end makers. Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Springfield Custom Shop.

These all perform great and if you buy them right, used, can be sold for as much or more than you paid for them when its time to sell.

But then again, if you are a "gun hoarder" who never sells anything, having a gun customized by Greg gets you exactly what you want, not what the product manager thought would sell.

In my humble opinion, the best guns to buy, from both a performance and an investment perspective are used guns in good condition from medium to high end makers. Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Springfield Custom Shop.
I disagree with Les Baer as "high end", though he is a known brand. Dan Wesson and Springfield custom are not high end either. High end is more along the lines of Wilson or Nighthawk.

The pointy part of the pyramid is SVI (www.sviguns.com). Incredible attention to detail, and it is a well known name. (Would you be interested in a Hammond or Kempton gun from AZ)

Regardless of money, what's your intended purpose for the 1911? Collection? Range toy? Home defense? You might be just as happy with something not so expensive. I bought a Remington R1 used but mint from a fellow NESer. It shoots as well as my 1st Gen Colt Delta Elite. Not as cool, but quite accurate at 25 yards and I won't cry if it gets a little worn. Goes bang every time I shoot it. I'd really like to do a side by side accuracy comparison at 25 yards between the R1 and something high end like a STI.

14 shots offhand at 28 yards, $500 gun:

R1 target 28 yds.jpg

If you want something very cool, the R1 ain't all that; but it can shoot.

Back
Top Bottom