BEST GUNSMITH IN SE MA: Mountings scope and boresighting

I had my scope mounted by a local shop but the reticle is off. One side is higher than the other and I want it corrected before rifle season. Anyone have a go-to guy in MA, south of Boston?

And

71AEA065-CBDF-48BD-BB79-F3ECEDA67BDC.jpeg

I also like the Arisaka leveler kit, but it only really works on AR/carbine style mounts with more room below the optic. They don’t work on most bolt action applications:

I’d also try to get my money back from the shop for them failing to adequately provide the service.

If looking for a gunsmith..............

Search these guys on NES

David Santori, 580 Kelley Blvd (Rt.152) N. Attleboro MA. (401) 726-1310 Have used David a couple times.

Gartman Arms - Rte 1, 570 Washington St, Wrentham, MA 02093 Phone: (508) 384-3791

I had my scope mounted by a local shop but the reticle is off. One side is higher than the other and I want it corrected before rifle season. Anyone have a go-to guy in MA, south of Boston?
Is it off or are you canting the rifle when you hold it.
I seen people go through leveling their rifles/scopes only to lift it up to mount it off hand and have a “crooked” reticle.

Is it off or are you canting the rifle when you hold it.
I seen people go through leveling their rifles/scopes only to lift it up to mount it off hand and have a “crooked” reticle.
No it is off on its own...that was my first thought as well but it's definitely off.I can hit 100 no issues at all but I'm gearing up to go on a midwest hunt in a few weeks and I dont want to be shooting 250+ and be way off.

You can square the scope to the rifle with a straight edge or even a deck of playing cards. This can be used to check it as well. I don't like using the little bubble levels, they are usually off.

A plumb bob could be used to see if you're canting the rifle.

No it is off on its own...that was my first thought as well but it's definitely off.I can hit 100 no issues at all but I'm gearing up to go on a midwest hunt in a few weeks and I dont want to be shooting 250+ and be way off.
Just loosen it and tweak it a bit to you like it.
Are you hunting from a fixed supported location or moving?
Hang a plumb line at 100 yards and line it up to that?

You can square the scope to the rifle with a straight edge or even a deck of playing cards. This can be used to check it as well. I don't like using the little bubble levels, they are usually off.

A plumb bob could be used to see if you're canting the rifle.
I use feeler gauges when there is a flat spot below the scope, but it’s too tight for the Arisaka tool.

But they don’t work so well if you have a rounded receiver below the scope.

For what a smith might charge, I’d buy a couple of levels or a dedicated kit/tool.

If you really want a smith, then you can’t go wrong with Dave Santurri

I use feeler gauges when there is a flat spot below the scope, but it’s too tight for the Arisaka tool.

But they don’t work so well if you have a rounded receiver below the scope.
I have used feeler gauges as well. Doesn't have to be anything in particular. Doesn't have to be exact either, not building the space shuttle. I am assuming that the scope is mounted on a rail.

Op, leveling a scope is super easy and you get the best results doing it yourself. With a set of levels(I prefer fix it sticks), a torque driver in inch pounds, and some loctite you can setup the scope specifically for you.

Everyone’s eyes and length of pull are different. Where you rest your cheek on the stock is also not the same. By doing it yourself you can bring the scope in or out to the perfect distance from your eye. This is something a gunsmith can’t do unless you are literally holding the gun, eye behind the scope while he levels it. He can probably get it close, but never as perfect as you will be able to.

This video explains everything perfectly.

View: https://youtu.be/COoXVpGfXQE

Also most manufacturers will give torque specs for each screw. An example would be Seekins Precision says to torque their scope caps to 20 inch pounds and the rail mounts to between 20 and 25 inch pounds.

Op, leveling a scope is super easy and you get the best results doing it yourself. With a set of levels(I prefer fix it sticks), a torque driver in inch pounds, and some loctite you can setup the scope specifically for you.

Everyone’s eyes and length of pull are different. Where you rest your cheek on the stock is also not the same. By doing it yourself you can bring the scope in or out to the perfect distance from your eye. This is something a gunsmith can’t do unless you are literally holding the gun, eye behind the scope while he levels it. He can probably get it close, but never as perfect as you will be able to.

This video explains everything perfectly.

View: https://youtu.be/COoXVpGfXQE

Also most manufacturers will give torque specs for each screw. An example would be Seekins Precision says to torque their scope caps to 20 inch pounds and the rail mounts to between 20 and 25 inch pounds.

For an Army guy, Cleckner is pretty hot.

Agree with your whole post, but want to emphasize this bit. Particularly if the OP is going to be doing a longer range hunt out west and will need to get comfortable with a good position to maximize accuracy.

Also, that’s a great video tutorial.

Op, if you do end up going the smith route I concur with most of this board, Dave Santurri is one of the best. He has very reasonable prices and quick turnaround times. He is also great at doing the one off odd stuff and has a wealth of knowledge.

His shop can be hard to find, but trust me the address on his website is accurate. It’s just a small back door that can be easy to miss.

03C89784-2CF8-4035-B86E-DD7B5C00BDB9.jpeg

Do it yourself so you can get the eye relief just right.

Put a level on the rail then level the reticle with a plumb line hung far away or near and shine a light through the scope.

Is there anyone other than Santurri in the whole area who will even do basic gunsmith work on rifles (aside from Greg D, though at last check he was focused on handguns)?

A simple basic smith proccedure and your "shop" screwed this up enough for you to actually see a crooked reticle crosshair ?? I guess I don't blame you for wanting another 'smith.

"Yes sir, your mounted scope is GTG !"

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

i would do it myself but with a big hunt coming up i can see why you're eager to have it done by a competent gunsmith. what did the original smith say when you brought it to his attention? did he offer to check it and realign? or leave you hanging.

Carpenter’s level on the bench, bubble level nested on the pic rail, plumb bob hanging freely. Loosen screws just enough you can rotate the optic, get her square, tighten screws. Done.
BTW guyz, if you loosen a properly-torqued machine screw m.n turns,
and then retighten it m.n turns (so that the slot clocks to the same angle),
is it properly torqued?

(Assuming no loctite or anti-seize For Great Simplicity).

Not a trick question. I figure the proper answer is one of:
  1. Uh duh.
  2. Oh noes! Because <insert obscure metal property here>.
I ain't got no inch-pound wrench,
and I wouldn't want to try to shade-tree gunsmith something delicate
with that hack, only to discover that metal fasteners
are like some Don Henley lyric where you can never go back.

Otherwise...

^ This.

I met a guy at the range last week that had a new 6.5 creed and vx6 leupold, he told me couldn’t get it on paper after Kittery mounted the scope so he brought it up again they bore sighted it again and said he should be good at 100, a few shots at 100 he wasn’t on paper. We brought it in to 25 I watched him shoot still not on paper he was 2-3 feet high hitting the top of the berm. I pulled the bolt and put a bag under the butt and saw it was several feet high. Eyeballed it and was 3 inches left one inch low, fixed it was spot on at 25 back to 100 it’s 2 inches left perfect elevation. Turned a few clicks and it was money. People bring guns to shops like this and think it’s good to go when in reality it’s far from it. The dude said he almost didn’t shoot it before his hunt because Kittery said it should be spot on at 100 which seems crazy for a shop to say.

ing up i can see why you're eager to have it done by a competent gunsmith. what did the original smith say when you brought it to his attention? did he offer to check it and realign? or leave you hanging.
I didnt bother bringing it up. I picked up the rifle and brought it home...I noticed it after the pickup and said the hell with it and Ill find someone else. I just want it done correctly and dont have the time to do it myself up until this hunt with everything going on. I just want the peace of mind since I drew a tag that took me a while to get.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this one. I'll be calling Santurri tomorrow to schedule a drop off. Really want that peace of mind going into this hunt that took me long enough ti draw a tag for. Eventually I'll learn to do it myself but don;t need any complications before my trip.

I didnt bother bringing it up. I picked up the rifle and brought it home...I noticed it after the pickup and said the hell with it and Ill find someone else. I just want it done correctly and dont have the time to do it myself up until this hunt with everything going on. I just want the peace of mind since I drew a tag that took me a while to get.
yep, understand. good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Back
Top Bottom