• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Gun for Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. I have my MSAR E4 bullpup setup with an aimpoint and a flashlight for HD. It is good to have 30 ready to go. It is really ideal for it. I have a G21 that I consider my best choice for pistol HD.

Personally, I keep my AR handy for things that go bump in the night. I like having 25-30 quick follow up shots due to big magazines, low recoil, and semi-auto operation. With a 16" barrel and a short stock, it's also handier than a shotgun.

Not to mention, 5.56 is actually least likely to over-penetrate through traditional building materials while still providing man-killing capabilities.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't think Mas on his worst day could come up with advice as ridiculous as what was posted above.

it makes sense because the original source i heard this from is a follower of mas ayoob. if its really that ridiculous than so be it.

however, be it ridiculous or not, if theres a scumbag in my house, ill still leave the suppressed SBR and nightvision in the safe, and go to the 870 with 00 buck/staggered slugs. nothing at the range you are going to encounter inside a home, is going to put a perp down as hard as a shotgun. all this stuff about rounding corners and slicing the pie in your house in the dark, is interweb operator commando nonsense. you have no idea if the perp is armed or how many of them there are, SWAT teaming your way through the house trying to find him in the dark is a good way to give up your home field advantage and get yourself killed. unless the perp is between you and your family and is a threat to them, your best off waiting in a good choke point and ambushing him when he comes.

it makes sense because the original source i heard this from is a follower of mas ayoob. if its really that ridiculous than so be it.

however, be it ridiculous or not, if theres a scumbag in my house, ill still leave the suppressed SBR and nightvision in the safe, and go to the 870 with 00 buck/staggered slugs. nothing at the range you are going to encounter inside a home, is going to put a perp down as hard as a shotgun. all this stuff about rounding corners and slicing the pie in your house in the dark, is interweb operator commando nonsense. you have no idea if the perp is armed or how many of them there are, SWAT teaming your way through the house trying to find him in the dark is a good way to give up your home field advantage and get yourself killed. unless the perp is between you and your family and is a threat to them, your best off waiting in a good choke point and ambushing him when he comes.

I used to stagger my 12g 00 buck and slugs, but now I just use the pdx-1 ammo and call it good. Best of both worlds imho.

[rolleyes].

And why the 00/slugs staggered?

00 buck is what? something like 9 .33 cal pellets? pretty good chance you will end someones day with that and it will still go through drywall and studs. at short range, birdshot will blow right through drywall as well and is plenty lethal at close range. personally, i keep buckshot, and a couple slugs in my shotgun in case i had to make a little longer of a shot. i live on a farm, so i have to be prepared for anything. for example, the dog gets in a fight with a coyote in the back yard, if you can take a shot, the last thing you want is to be shooting buckshot, a single projectile (slug) would be less likely to kill both your dog along with the yote. in such a scenario you'd be better off with a good .22, but my original point was, if your trying to pick your first, and most versatile, HD weapon, you can not beat a good shotgun. what works for me, may not work for others, just speaking my opinion, doesnt make me qualified or right, i dont know a guy who knows a guy who once knew a navy seal, and i've never been on a nuclear submarine... its just what i use at my own home.

Remington 870 pistol grip 16" barrel buckshot,slug,buckshot,slug,and so on, Hellen keller couldn't miss with this combo!

I'll skip on the pistol grip and the NFA tax stamp. I'll just stick with my Mossberg 500 with a 18 1/2" barrel and regular stock.

Last edited:
00 buck is what? something like 9 .33 cal pellets? pretty good chance you will end someones day with that and it will still go through drywall and studs. at short range, birdshot will blow right through drywall as well and is plenty lethal at close range. personally, i keep buckshot, and a couple slugs in my shotgun in case i had to make a little longer of a shot. i live on a farm, so i have to be prepared for anything. for example, the dog gets in a fight with a coyote in the back yard, if you can take a shot, the last thing you want is to be shooting buckshot, a single projectile (slug) would be less likely to kill both your dog along with the yote. in such a scenario you'd be better off with a good .22, but my original point was, if your trying to pick your first, and most versatile, HD weapon, you can not beat a good shotgun. what works for me, may not work for others, just speaking my opinion, doesnt make me qualified or right, i dont know a guy who knows a guy who once knew a navy seal, and i've never been on a nuclear submarine... its just what i use at my own home.

Can you really keep track of what type of round is in the chamber when the sh&t hits the fan? Good chance you are going to lose track if your mag tube is staggered.

If you are concerned about being able to make a precision shot with a shotgun, keep slugs on a side saddle and perform a slug change-over if you need it. This way, you know exactly what type of round is in the chamber

This may have been mentioned before, but remember, a handgun is what you use to get to your rifle.

Smaller revolvers and autos are harder to shoot than full size.

If you don't plan on carrying and you can choose only one gun I would buy a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel

Can you really keep track of what type of round is in the chamber when the sh&t hits the fan? Good chance you are going to lose track if your mag tube is staggered.

If you are concerned about being able to make a precision shot with a shotgun, keep slugs on a side saddle and perform a slug change-over if you need it. This way, you know exactly what type of round is in the chamber

if you mean SHTF as in civil unrest, no and i dont plan to really, if the SHTF ill have my AR/AK/Whatever like the rest of you. if you mean SHTF as in someone is inside my house and coming up the stairs towards myself and my family, it wont really matter, they'll get a sample of everything in the tube of that shotgun.

i do keep extra rounds in a side saddle, pretty sure they are all 00 buck except for one more slug.

Yep, and what are you going to do, rack out 00 to get to slugs. Never made any sense.

Yep, and what are you going to do, rack out 00 to get to slugs. Never made any sense.

slug first, then buck is how i have it. works well for anything, example the dog fight scenario, you have your single projectile to try to make a hit with if you have to. in a home invasion scenario, hopefully you make a center mass hit with your first slug and its game over, a little orange clean on the rug and your good to go, if you miss, you probably wont with the 00.

People make things way too complicated.

x2, it doesnt matter what you do. its all your personal preference considering your situation, the layout of your house, the area beyond your house that stray bullet may travel to. etc.

So you think you can make an accurate shot with a slug when two dogs are fighting. Good luck with that

i do know a guy who used to know a navy seal so im thinking probably yup[rolleyes]

My profile pic is my home defence ..... a good dog that loves and protects its family .... and I have always stayed true to short barrell s/s 12g scattergun ...... and just happened to stumble across a double defence 12 g..... toss a home invader finder flashlight /laser combo ..lol! ....... good by scumbag and hello gettin to see it happen in the dark .... my old home gun was a cresent arms s/s 12g ..... have many to choose from but a short shotgun is all you could ask for ....

i do know a guy who used to know a navy seal so im thinking probably yup[rolleyes]

Honestly I see someone that has spent more time dreaming up scenarios and coming up with niffy little plans to solve them, but hasn't actually spent the time behind the weapon to know what can and can not be done.

this is my home defense gun

But they need to make it past my security team first

Attachments

• glock.jpg
    glock.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 46
  • ninja.jpg
    ninja.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 60
Honestly I see someone that has spent more time dreaming up scenarios and coming up with niffy little plans to solve them, but hasn't actually spent the time behind the weapon to know what can and can not be done.
In the motorbike world, we call that "seat time" and I agree with yah .... practice makes perfect, so git out there ....

Or...if he wants slugs and buckshot in his shotgun...it's his business. Not like its a "bad" choice either way. Slugs and buck at close range are very effective

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom