Best GLOVES for Handguns - Protection against Failures

CaseHardened

Banned
I've been reading about a lot of severe failures lately. Most, apparently due to Ammo that was too hot for the Handgun.

Now, if I'm firing in a Self-Defense situation, I'm not wearing Goggles or Gloves (or Ear Protection). WTF.

But on the Range I'd like to relax and feel I'm defending my body in a reasonable manner.

Right now I'm looking for some kick-ass gloves. Gloves that may prevent finger loss in the event of KABOOM.

Suggestions for really good Eye and Ear items are also welcome.

I've been reading about a lot of severe failures lately. Most, apparently due to Ammo that was too hot for the Handgun.

Now, if I'm firing in a Self-Defense situation, I'm not wearing Goggles or Gloves (or Ear Protection). WTF.

But on the Range I'd like to relax and feel I'm defending my body in a reasonable manner.

Right now I'm looking for some kick-ass gloves. Gloves that may prevent finger loss in the event of KABOOM.

If you worry about finger loss from shooting a handgun then maybe airsoft would be the way to go.

Welcome by the way

Lol protection against a KB? Sell your guns and take up knitting. Most pistol KBs don't cause serious hand injury anyways, and most of it isnt cutting but blunt trauma, which no glove is going to stop anyways.

Lol protection against a KB? Sell your guns and take up knitting. Most pistol KBs don't cause serious hand injury anyways, and most of it isnt cutting but blunt trauma, which no glove is going to stop anyways.

A baseball catcher's mitt

I think you'll be just fine without gloves. Don't run reloads if you're that worried about it. Stick with factory ammunition.

as far as Eye pro in a self-defense shooting, I'm always walking around with clear ballistic Eye Pro on because I stay ready.

Like others have mentioned, if you are seriously that worried, then this probably isn't the hobby/sport for you. I don't even know where you are hearing about all of these ammo explosions, but are there any you've read about where gloves would have saved the hand? I have very tight fitting mechanics/tactical type gloves which I use only out of necessity when shooting outdoors this time of year, and even then I try not to, but I have some nerve damage from my younger days that really haunts me when my hands get too cold. Gloves remove pretty much any tactile "feel" for the trigger, as well as making loading mags very difficult. Also, at some point early last spring, I was shooting my KSG and had to clear a jamb in the feed mechanism and my glove got ridiculously caught in the mechanism which necessitated ripping through the index finger of the glove to get it free. I was really pissed because it destroyed a nice, brand new pair of gloves AND would have probably gotten me killed if it were a real combat scenario.[angry] YMMV, but NO gloves for me unless frigid temps necessitate their use!

I've been hunting for a very long time - the things I've learned in that time are as follows:
Gloves are the single most difficult thing in the world to find that fit correctly.

Sadly, most glove sets are made over seas where small folks live and have no need for warm weather gloves. The Latex stuff aside, thanks. The thumbs are too long or the palm does not fit and so and so on...

Just no - at all levels

If you ever find a company, make, model that fits enough - please tell

My powerball winnings will go to a individual print glove set making company - gortex, leather, leather gotex - tip to toe - perfect gloves

until then - it's like popcorn - you like 'em all but none of them are quite right.

Shooting with any kind of gloves will lower your ability, and it's likely in any defensive situation you won't be wearing gloves. So keep both of those in mind.

For winter shooting I usually just stick with Mechanix gloves. They are thick enough to block wind and prevent frostbite, but provide decent feel and grip wet and dry. Also they don't cost a fortune to replace when they rip. Wear any gloves shooting regularly and they WILL rip.

There are some very nice high end gloves out there, but they'll set you back $100-$150 per pair and maybe last you one season if you baby them.

I'll just rip them off and grab and go - that mofo will be deader than hell before my hands get so cold I can't feel - wut talkin' bout 'gain Willis? My fingers is froze!

Yeah - prolonged exposure to temps is bad - insulation from the same = sausage fingers - good luck

I wore gloves (bike gloves with no fingers but good palm protection) for a year or two after a kaboom from shooting reloaded ammo I bought. The KB didn't do anything to my hand more than some bruising but gave me a scare. I've since stopped wearing gloves, but I think they're reasonably prudent protective equipment.

Anything with some suede or leather palms will give decent protection.

Don't let these guys get to you. I understand your worried about safety,and your hands. That's why I would go with an acrylic nail polish,hot pink is the best. It will keep you from breaking a nail at the range..

c783185278e9127dd7ed8a12c4871b34.jpg

I have a pair of shooting gloves that are very nice. I don't like gloves of any kind for the most part but these ones are comfortable, probably due to the softness and adjustable wrist strap. I don't use them for handguns but for rifles. Sometimes I'll bring levers to the range and after a while, the throw wears on the back of my hand so these always come along. Not expensive as gloves go and comfortable.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...c_9EDtV5l3vw5BX8rqD5YaAhQt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Truthfully, as someone who has experienced two KBs in about 20+ years, chances are very slim you'll ever have a problem but, everytime you go to the range to shoot, you do exposed yourself to a problem. There are just too many variables that you can't control. You can reduce the chances: Keep your firearms in tip-top condition and only buy factory non-reload ammo or load your own very carefully. Other than that, a mechanical failure in your handgun or rifle or shotgun can occur at any time. A errant round could find its way into your cylinder or magazine. There are a dozen different ways you could have a problem but it is pretty rare.

In my case, I had a bad (overpressured) factory round in a .40 Beretta 96d. Factory round. But when it blew, it did just what it was supposed to do: it dumped the bulk of the explosion straight down through the magwell but, at the same time, peeled back the entire action at the top so that it looked like a can opener had been applied to the top of that very stout handgun. Everything from there went forward, too, not back at me. I was at S&W Tactical Training center when it happened and the R/O shut down the range, ran over to me and literally ripped open my shirt to see if had been injured by shrapnel. Not even a scratch but my hand sure stung. Imagine the worst stinger you can get with a baseball bat and multiply it by two. Gun was ruined but, most importantly, I was fine. I stored it away and when onto another handgun.

I've also had a shotgun fail with FACTORY shells. Long story short, it too handled the round in that gas-gun properly and everything worked as it should. The shotgun was replaced by the ammo company and I used my back up for the long weekend.

So, the more you shoot the more you expose yourself to a problem but just practice everything we all learn at the beginning: Eyes and ears, good equip, no ammo other than factory out of your control, and relax and have fun but be diligent.

Rome

My go-to gloves are standard issue nomex flight gloves. I think a new pair is $20 if you get them at a BX. They are good for shooting or driving in winter, and make great liners for ski gloves since you can still manipulate a smartphone screen with them on. I don't think they will provide much protection from shrapnel but they will provide burn protection.

Back
Top Bottom