• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best/favorite deer/pig hunting rifle?

Interested in hearing what your favorite hunting rifle is and if you could own one you don't currently have, what would it be?

I'm currently shooting a .300 Savage pump or .270 Winchester but both are heavy for longer push hunts.

My fav is a Browning BAR in 30-06 with a Bushnell scope. Very nice shooter and not too heavy for days of still-hunting.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

New England deer is not usually a long shot. I took my last deer at about 40 yards. Neck shot was all he gave me but it was good enough to drop him in his tracks.

I went on a "canned" Boar hunt in Fairlee, VT many years back and it too was one shot deal.

Both were taken with a 700 in .30-06. 165 grain Winchester Silver tip.

Hope that helps.

Recently, i got a marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. Took a coyote or two with it, and love it. This is my new go-to rifle where rifle hunting is permitted. Plan on taking it out of state soon to hunt, and really open it up!!!

I am using a Marlin .444 lever gun with ghost ring sights and some lighter reloads. I am a big fan of lever guns when hunting, and I could see myself using a .44 mag lever gun, or maybe a custom .500 S&W. There is no way I will take a shot over 100 yards in the woods I hunt, and 50 yards would be a stretch.

Winchester Model 70 Left Hand in .270 Winchester.
Savage Model 99R in .300 Savage.
I would like a double rifle in .458 Express 3", a caliber developed in South Africa.

Winchester Model 70 Left Hand in .270 Winchester.
Savage Model 99R in .300 Savage.
I would like a double rifle in .458 Express 3", a caliber developed in South Africa.

My friend offered me a bolt action .458 with some sweet glass. No way I could spend a day at the range without a lead sled.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Do you have any photos of the lever action? I'm interested in buying one for my hunting trips up New Hampshire. Thanks.

30 30 Winchester 94 for new England hunting! Good brush gun.. have a woods mater 30 - 06 but it almost never leave the safe

Shot my first deer with Marlin 336 lever action 30-30
Shot my last NH deer with Remington Model 700 Left Hand .30-06
Shot most deer with 12 ga. using 00 buckshot Remington 870 Pump or 1187 Supermag

Depends on the hunt. On stand with the option of 300+ yard shots my Browning A-Bolt 2 medallion in 300 win mag. Walking/still hunting a Browning BAR in 30-06 or 308 or a Remington Pump in same calibers.

I've never hunted but I REALLY want a falling block carbine with Lyman peeps . Don't have enough (IE any) experience to decide what cartridge, but something small and versatile. Maybe .44 Magnum with spitzers or 7.62x39. Theres something about single shots that repeaters don't have. The simplicity of putting a cartridge in battery with your hands. Maybe its the smoothness and ease of handling that comes from a lack of magazine or feed system. Or it could be that they look freakin awesome

not trying to hijack this thread, not a hunter, but was wondering why in MA you can only use shotgun for deer. Don't understand the reasoning for this. It isn 't the same in NH, and the woods are pretty much the same considering we border them...

The rifle I hunt in Maine with is a Winchester M70 Supergrade in 30-06. It has a Leupold Vari X III 3x9. Since I started hunting Elk in Montana I bought a lighter (much lighter) Kimber 8400 Montana in .300WSM. It has a Trijicon 3x9 with a mil dot reticle. The Kimber is head and shoulders better than the Winchester as is the Trijicon over the Leupold.

270 for deer is fine hogs too if you hit them right. My place in vt doesnt have super thick woods and there are fields too so its good to have a long distance setup. If i was hunting boars in thick stuff. Marlin lever in 35 rem or 450 marlin.

In mass benelli 12. Everywhere else Vintage savage 99, 300 lever gun. Once you go model 99 youll never go back.

This past season, I hunted with a mossberg 500 12ga with a knoxx stock. It wasn't my first choice, but I shot two deer with it and my 20ga is having some serious issues. [angry] Before next season, I plan to purchase a Savage 20ga bolt action shotgun.

I also just sold my Thompson Omega and plan to get an Encore. [grin]

New England deer is not usually a long shot. I took my last deer at about 40 yards. Neck shot was all he gave me but it was good enough to drop him in his tracks.

I went on a "canned" Boar hunt in Fairlee, VT many years back and it too was one shot deal.

Both were taken with a 700 in .30-06. 165 grain Winchester Silver tip.

Hope that helps.

Oh so you went to Wild Bills Pet and Kill, as we refer to it as....

- - - Updated - - -

WTF!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom