Best Electronic Hearing Protectors-Priced <$200

3M/Peltor finally came out with a pair that had bluetooth. Unfortunately, they also have only 22dB noise reduction. Maybe with the active impulse reduction they would be OK, but I'm not willing to spend the $300+ dollars to find out. What I have now works fine. I'd like to have the bluetooth but it isn't imperative.

I've been using the Howard Leight ones for a couple years. No issues, work as I would expect. Excellent value for $50. Whatever you go with, for long gun use consider how they are going to fit between your head and the stock.

The peltors i bought were a steal and came with the gel. I didnt think id like them, but there is no better seal or comfort available

mtnmn-mercantile is where i got mine be sure to best offer lowball.. there are many competitive seller with them listed, be patient and look around. If you get a radio version, i can and will send you the parts or modify it to work qith consumer radios..

They arent cheap compaired to $40-50 throw aways, yet if you shoot not having them or something similar is foolish.atleast untill we can get suppressors

Now that 3M/Peltor has come out with the tactical 300/500 models, the Tactical Sport model 974510, has been discounted quite a bit. The were in the $150 range, and they are a fine set of muffs, and you can also get the gel pads for them. I've seen them lately anywhere from $80-$95, which is a great price. Here's a link to a good deal on the Peltor muffs, with over 300 reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...3-992f-4bde-81b0-de270e0ead5a&pf_rd_i=desktop

Also, Howard Leigh by Honeywell has just released the Impact Sport "Bolt" model, which is a newly designed model, which used dynamic compression as apposed to the clipping design previously used. Optics Planet has just started taking orders for them at around $85, which is a good price, although I've only read reviews, and not tested them personally. Here's a review of the Bolt model muffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqmNjYqKh6E

Hope these 2 choices might help someone save some money.

Last edited:
This is odd that the Sport Bolts have been out for a year and I've never seen them nor read a review of them. I wonder what's up?
Optics planet has them on extended backorder, with an unknown ETA, and they've dropped the price from $85 to $77. They must be having problems with the design, with over a year gone by since they introduced them. I got the 3M/Peltor tactical sport for about $65, and added a set of gel seals from eBay at about $45, and the combination is incredible.

I am a new shooter who is trying to make a decision on what ear protectors to buy. I have pretty good hearing and would like to keep it that way. However, after reading the thread and looking at some other stuff I found online, I'm more confused, not less. What, if anything, does the NRR number actually mean? Multiple sources say that gunfire can be more than 150 decibels, where 85 is considered "maximum safe" and prolonged exposure to >100dB will probably damage your ears. That suggests that completely avoiding hearing damage will require an effective noise level reduction of 40 or 50 dB. But the highest NRR rating I can find anywhere is 33. Is it even possible to find ear protectors that will give 100% protection - no hearing damage at all? Or do I have to just accept that shooting WILL damage my ears, and the best I can hope for is to reduce the damage by a bit?

I am a new shooter who is trying to make a decision on what ear protectors to buy. I have pretty good hearing and would like to keep it that way. However, after reading the thread and looking at some other stuff I found online, I'm more confused, not less. What, if anything, does the NRR number actually mean? Multiple sources say that gunfire can be more than 150 decibels, where 85 is considered "maximum safe" and prolonged exposure to >100dB will probably damage your ears. That suggests that completely avoiding hearing damage will require an effective noise level reduction of 40 or 50 dB. But the highest NRR rating I can find anywhere is 33. Is it even possible to find ear protectors that will give 100% protection - no hearing damage at all? Or do I have to just accept that shooting WILL damage my ears, and the best I can hope for is to reduce the damage by a bit?
If you're surrounded by constant levels that's where the potential damage is more likely to occur.
a 22dB reduction is a lot mathematically since dB is in an exponential scale. My head sets have had typically 22dB ratings and I've yet to walk away with ringing in my ears while wearing them and I take great care to make sure I don't damage my ears. Unless of course I'm in my car and cranking the radio because I'm stupid.
However, while shooting if the ear muffs you buy aren't enough for you, you could always double up and get those ear plugs in addition to the muffs. Your call but I find that to be over kill.

If you're surrounded by constant levels that's where the potential damage is more likely to occur.
a 22dB reduction is a lot mathematically since dB is in an exponential scale. My head sets have had typically 22dB ratings and I've yet to walk away with ringing in my ears while wearing them and I take great care to make sure I don't damage my ears.

Ahh, OK. I had forgotten (if I ever knew it) that dB is an exponential scale.

Your headsets - are they the electronic type? If so, do you know whether the 22 NRR applies only to the physical muffs? Or does it include the effect of the electronic filtering?

Ahh, OK. I had forgotten (if I ever knew it) that dB is an exponential scale.

Your headsets - are they the electronic type? If so, do you know whether the 22 NRR applies only to the physical muffs? Or does it include the effect of the electronic filtering?

The electronic filtering does not, in any way, reduce the noise experienced by your ears. The electronic muffs are not noise canceling. The only noise reduction comes from the passive insulation. The electronics consist of external microphones and internal speakers. The internal speakers play the audio picked up by the microphones. The clever electronic part is to stop the speakers from playing the audio of the gun shots. Basically, the amplifier turns off when it detects the beginning of the sound of a gunshot.

Also note that the 22 dB noise reduction is the best that the earmuffs can do, and that it was measured on a dummy. The dummy doesn’t have hair, a beard, or glasses, each of which can reduce the effectiveness of the seal of the muffs around the ear.

Personally, I find 22 dB to not be enough for me. YMMV.

Also, Howard Leight by Honeywell has just released the Impact Sport "Bolt" model, which is a newly designed model, which used dynamic compression as apposed to the clipping design previously used. Optics Planet has just started taking orders for them at around $85, which is a good price, although I've only read reviews, and not tested them personally. Here's a review of the Bolt model muffs:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqmNjYqKh6E

These have been out for almost two years. Very happy with the latest version "bolt". They recently came out with new colors. I would recommend them for the price paid at the link. Good quality muffs you can wear all day.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...port-bolt-electronic-earmuffs-prod119791.aspx

Last edited:
NRR 22 for the Bolt and NRR 23 for the Walker's. Good idea to double up if you wear these shooting indoors or maybe most of the time.

Peltor Sport Tactical 500 Electronic Hearing Protector, Bluetooth Wireless Ear Protection, NRR 26 dB, Ideal for Shooting and Hunting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W56YRWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6LUaAbB4JJCW9

then get the gel cup replacements

3M Peltor Camelback Gel Sealing Rings HY80, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHVXKVA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5MUaAb09RHV13

I know this is an old post, but the hearing protection discussion comes up often and products are continuing to evolve.

I ended up recently going with the above Peltors Sport Tatical 500 and did indeed add the Gel Sealing rings. I absolutely love them. The only draw back I would mention is the top band is more of a stiff plastic that could annoy some people. I ended up putting on a hearing muff wrap that resolved that. And yes, I purchased a product and then added "options" to fit me. Just like guns (for that matter everything in life) there is no "universal" fit. YMMV

Midway is having a sale on the Walker's Ultimate Digital Quad Connect Electronic Earmuffs with Bluetooth (NRR 26dB) Gray for $79.99

Walker's Ultimate Digital Quad Connect Electronic Earmuffs Bluetooth

Much better than the common "everyone has them" Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Classic Green (R-01526)which are around $53 on Amazon.

I've used the Howard Leight's for years. Many times,especially indoors, had to double up with foam ear plugs. Replaced them with the Peltor's and leave the Howard Leight's as my "nightstand" ears (are we the only ones who keep eye's and ear's on our nightstands?)

The Walker product line was on my list when looking to change out the Howard Leight's, but I ended up going with the Peltor's.

Jay

23 dB is not enough noise reduction for me. I want 33 dB from the muffs and I still use plugs underneath the muffs. Hearing loss sucks.

When shooting indoors. Please consider using plugs and muffs!

You don't want partial hearing loss (like I have after 3 decades of shooting)

The last 10+ years I have doubled up indoors. I wish I started 30 years ago!

Even with my Peltor 500's, I still use foam ear plugs to double up protection. I plan on adding Walker's Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 25dB) Pair to my "hearing protection" solution. My birthday is coming up soon....hint hint hint Mrs. a73elkyss. [smile]

FYI. I have moderate to severe hearing loss combined with tinnitus and use Oticon OPN hearing aids. Not an inexpensive solution by any stretch. The reason I mention this is that hearing loss is a one way trip. You "cheap out" early in life, you pay much more later on. That is unless you like always saying "huh?", "what did you say?", "excuse me, what did you say?" in all conversations. [angry]

Anyone familiar with the Hocks Noise Breakers Electronic Plugs? Custom molded, similar to what you’d get at a gun show or similar event, but have 4 programmable modes and average attenuation rate of 32-34db. I learned of these from an audiologist I saw this past week, and she said her husband uses them (avid hunter), as do several other shooters she knows.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone familiar with the Hocks Noise Breakers Electronic Plugs? Custom molded, similar to what you’d get at a gun show or similar event, but have 4 programmable modes and average attenuation rate of 32-34db. I learned of these from an audiologist I saw this past week, and she said her husband uses them (avid hunter), as do several other shooters she knows.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a link or price?

Do you have a link or price?

Here’s the link to the general product:

Hocks Hearing Healthcare Products - Home

You’ll note that there aren’t prices and the options on the brochure are limited, but that’s not the case. They’re a small, US based company that apparently does outstanding work, according to my audiologist.

She said they make two types of electronic plugs - one being linear, the other being digital. The linear plugs are either on or off. The digital plugs have 4 programmable modes. Both are battery operated, and both are incorporated into custom molded ear plugs - like the ones you can get at gun shows/tournaments where a “putty” of some sort is injected into the ear.

She quoted me a cost of $400 for the pair. Very steep, I know, but I’ve always had the best hearing in my family growing up, and the best hearing with my family now. She’s going to give me 30 days with them, and if I don’t like them, she’ll pull those filters out, for a fee, and replace them with something else, also for a fee.

I recently purchased a pair of your basic “gun show” plugs from someone active in this community, and they are quite poor. I can mow the lawn and have decent protection (they lose form in heat while in-ear), but they’re not really effective while shooting 4 to 6 to 8 rounds of skeet. The filter for voices is almost nonexistent. I’d reach out to the vendor, but based on my previous experience when having them made, I don’t need the aggravation or bullshit.

$400 for custom in ear electronic plugs is actually on the cheap side.

I’m highly interested, so looking for more info on ordering, but don’t see any mention of the electronic version on their site.

You have to look for an audiologist. Mine is affiliated with MEEI. I’ll pass along more info when I get it early next week. Feel free to PM your email addy if you’d like to.

Back
Top Bottom