Best Electronic Hearing Protectors-Priced <$200

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006968YM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I bought 2 of these and they work phenomenal. You can hear everything you normally can hear, and when a sudden increase in decibels occurs (eg. a gunshot) it mutes the sound. So you can talk to the guy next to you while shooting. This is worth every penny of the $189. The review I just gave is vague and silly, but I do not know the best way to put it. These are the best hearing protectors IMO, and I have tried a ton.

Those are the ones I wear. Don't work well with rifle/shotgun for me, but awesome for pistol, instructing or RO'g.

I'm looking for my first pair of electronic hearing protection. I wanted NR33, but the prices for those are far outside my budget. Last time my hearing was tested, it was very good and I want to keep it that way. Ever since I got back into shooting, I've been using the muffs I got in the Service and I can probably do better than those. Len and ColdDayInHell, I'm going to pick those muffs up. Hopefully, I can get them to work with my long guns.

I bought a set of Pro Ears Magnum muffs about a year ago and couldn't be happier. They list for a lot more than $200 but can be had for just over that amount. NRR rating of 33 with a seamles electronic damping system that is virtually undetectable. With the volume properly adjusted it seems as if you are not wearing muffs at all. Comfort level is excellent; these are the best muffs I have ever used.

I bought a set of Pro Ears Magnum muffs about a year ago and couldn't be happier. They list for a lot more than $200 but can be had for just over that amount. NRR rating of 33 with a seamles electronic damping system that is virtually undetectable. With the volume properly adjusted it seems as if you are not wearing muffs at all. Comfort level is excellent; these are the best muffs I have ever used.

I found them online for just over $200, $50 more than the ones I was looking at purchasing.

I made a huge mistake Thursday by firing my .45ACP Glock 36 without ears on. I never have felt so much pain in my ears. They were ringing for about 2 minutes. I will never make that mistake again. I was too excited to start shooting that I had my eyes on but not ears. [rolleyes]

ZEM Hearing Protection

These are not electronic hearing protectors but they sound like a good low-cost alternative. Looks like they have two models, 1 with a 26 NRR and another with 31 NRR. They claim to provide protection from the noise but still allow you to carry on conversation. However at least one review from someone in the wood-working business (with power tools) disputes the second to some extent.

http://www.sensgard.com/

NES Review of SensGard. They work very well, especially in warm weather. Just wear a baseball hat if you have short hair to keep them in place.

These are not electronic hearing protectors but they sound like a good low-cost alternative. Looks like they have two models, 1 with a 26 NRR and another with 31 NRR. They claim to provide protection from the noise but still allow you to carry on conversation. However at least one review from someone in the wood-working business (with power tools) disputes the second to some extent.

http://www.sensgard.com/

Any opinion on these muffs?

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com

The reviews seem to be good.
I have those. I bought them on Amazon, great price, and I have Prime, so free two day shipping. They are remarkably good. I have always used custom molded plugs or conventional "Mickey Mouse" hearing protectors, and it is a bit odd being able to hear conversation, but at the same time being protected from the firing noise.

I have the R-01526 and while they're pretty good for the price I wish they had the -30dB of my passive ones for extended use. Go big.

What's NES' opinion of these? http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Game-...r=8-11&keywords=electronic+hearing+protection

Sad to say, I didn't even know electronic earmuffs existed before this past Wednesday. VP of PF&G recommended we all get a pair by our orientation. If these are good, I'll probably equip the entire family.

Read the reviews on Azn. I always start with the worst ones, it gives me a good idea if they are addressing quality.

I wear Peltors and have a number of their models as I've migrated to higher quality over time. All of them still work as advertised.

Yes they are over $200 but my hearing is worth the extra money for MSA Sordin Pro-X. best money I ever spent. Got tired of buying multiple pairs of $80 muffs only to be replaced a year later. I no longer buy cheap gun stuff. If I can't afford it I save for it. If you can afford $200 muffs you can drop a few more bucks for the best. These muffs with gel cups have changed shooting for me. Wearing them all day at a match or women is nothing short of comfortable. One common theme in all the old shooters I know of is they all told me they wish the took better care of there hearing over the years. I wish I owed these back when I duck hunted I would have worn them constantly. Your ears deserve best don't cheap out on yourself when it counts.

Read the reviews on Azn. I always start with the worst ones, it gives me a good idea if they are addressing quality.

That's exactly what I was hoping to avoid. The problem with Amazon reviews is you get bad reviews that usually center around someone's feelings getting hurt, and too many of the 5-star reviews are just "It's Awesome. Buy It". Neither of those extremes is of any use to anyone. I was hoping someone here had a pair. Anyway, Delta, I'll check out the MSA's. I might end up buying a pair of each and really test them out.

And you're right about old shooters. About a month before my father passed away, he urged me to always wear hearing protection [which I do even while mowing the lawn, nevermind shooting] and admitted that he lost some hearing in his right ear back in the Army when shooting Garands in the 1950's. Now, for decades he would never admit that he needed a hearing aid. At least he eventually came clean. [grin]

I think I got my pelpeltor comtac 3's for $200 used, they are all over eBay and Facebook gear trading groups. Comtacs are way better than Howard lights and are water resistant and will integrate with some radios. If you can find a set of 2's or 3's for cheap snatch them up.

I also paid about that for my nacre quietpro setup BNIB on eBay.

Last edited:
Yes they are over $200 but my hearing is worth the extra money for MSA Sordin Pro-X. best money I ever spent. Got tired of buying multiple pairs of $80 muffs only to be replaced a year later. I no longer buy cheap gun stuff. If I can't afford it I save for it. If you can afford $200 muffs you can drop a few more bucks for the best. These muffs with gel cups have changed shooting for me. Wearing them all day at a match or women is nothing short of comfortable. One common theme in all the old shooters I know of is they all told me they wish the took better care of there hearing over the years. I wish I owed these back when I duck hunted I would have worn them constantly. Your ears deserve best don't cheap out on yourself when it counts.

The MSAs are 19 dB right? I hear you need earplugs when using them indoors.

Seems like a 25+ dB set with low profile for rifle use doesn't exist?

I use my Shure SE210's. They keep out all the bad noise at the range and keep in all the good tunes when I'm doing everything else. Spend once, use everywhere.

These are the ones I use. They work fine. I've never tried any of the expensive ones.

To those who own the Harbor Freight ears, do you hear clicks while not shooting? I just bought a pair and they work well as far as blocking gun fire noise and enhancing low level noise (talking), but I hear clicks when there's no gunfire.
I was at the indoor range alone yesterday and while I was reloading or doing other things I could hear lots of clicks. I'm wondering if other people hear it or not. If you do hear it and it's normal I would guess that it's the attenuator clicking on and off when it "hears" something like wind, ventilation or other background noises. If you don't hear clicks then I might have a bad one. The clicks are very minor and if it's normal I can deal with it. I just need to know if I should exchange them for another pair. At $12 it's a screaming deal.

To those who own the Harbor Freight ears, do you hear clicks while not shooting? I just bought a pair and they work well as far as blocking gun fire noise and enhancing low level noise (talking), but I hear clicks when there's no gunfire.
I was at the indoor range alone yesterday and while I was reloading or doing other things I could hear lots of clicks. I'm wondering if other people hear it or not. If you do hear it and it's normal I would guess that it's the attenuator clicking on and off when it "hears" something like wind, ventilation or other background noises. If you don't hear clicks then I might have a bad one. The clicks are very minor and if it's normal I can deal with it. I just need to know if I should exchange them for another pair. At $12 it's a screaming deal.

Could that be electronics interference from the lighting system?

Try them in another location and see if the problem still occurs.

Could that be electronics interference from the lighting system?

Try them in another location and see if the problem still occurs.

You may be right. I just put them on in my family room and no clicks. I thought maybe it was due to fluorescent strip lights so I went into my garage and still no clicks. I was shooting in the basement of the clubhouse and the computer room is adjacent to the indoor range so maybe there's something coming out of that room. Thanks. Best $12 I've spent in a long time!

Other than some good deals on ebay, nothing much changed.

I just spent a few hundred on good peltors, i wish it was something i did 20 years ago.
$40 electic muffs do get the job done, but probibly arent vary reliable outside of range use.

Back
Top Bottom