Best EDC pocket pistol?

Mike52793

NES Member
Looking to get opinions on different pocket pistols for another EDC. Current EDC is a glock 43x but in certain scenarios something smaller would be more preferred. Currently looking at the springfield 911 in 9mm.

I've pocket carried the following:

Glock 33 357Sig
S&W 442 38spc
Keltec P3AT 380acp
Kahr PM9 9mm

Presently carrying the Kahr, at 14oz, the only thing lighter was the Keltec
What do you think of the 442? I've debated getting one or a Colt Cobra. I pocket my LCP II a good amount, but the mag popped out once somehow and I've always had a nagging voice in the back of my head since then... that and I'd rather do 38spl than 380.

Kahr PM9

I've pocket carried the Keltec P3AT and S&W 442. The Keltec is a relatively low quality handgun IMHO. The 442 revolver is just not comfortable to pocket carry, being wider than a semi-auto.

The Kahr PM9 is just right.

What do you think of the 442? I've debated getting one or a Colt Cobra. I pocket my LCP II a good amount, but the mag popped out once somehow and I've always had a nagging voice in the back of my head since then... that and I'd rather do 38spl than 380.

I like the 442, but a big con in the pocket, is the soft pocket holster tends to close over the gun. the cylinder makes a bulge, causing you to pull out the holster and all while trying to draw it.
I'm wearing jeans 95% of the time. the G33 was twice the weight, the Keltec was 380...as Rich said, the Kahr is perfect

Looking to get opinions on different pocket pistols for another EDC. Current EDC is a glock 43x but in certain scenarios something smaller would be more preferred. Currently looking at the springfield 911 in 9mm.

I carry a G43x in holster but when using a pocket I use a G42. I like thats they're so similar and the G42 is so easy to shoot.

I like my 340SC, very light and it’s in .357 magnum. But It’s also not really anywhere near high capacity. G26 with G17 magazines for spares works for that, more ammo, better trigger and accurate (and the web of my thumb doesn’t burst into a bloody mess like it does when practicing with the 340SC) but it’s a lot heavier and harder to conceal. For basic peace of mind EDC that doesn’t get in the way the 340SC works nicely for me, but would suck if one needed more than 5 rounds for whatever reason. Despite some drawbacks I find it to be ideal. I’ve tried others, Sig P238, Para Warthog, Ruger SP101, and the G26 and for me, the 340SC is the best I’ve had for weight, conceal ability and power in a basic every day carry pistol. (Carry it in a Desantis pocket holster because it stays in place, but it can stick on the draw takes a bit of practice, you should practice the draw anyway, probably fine without the holster in this case but be aware the holster keeps it upright and doesn’t print as much, though holsterless will make for a better draw. In this example, because the trigger pull is so hard it should be a toss up, for any automatic I’d definitely want at least a trigger holster, attached to the clothing by a lanyard. Of course main consideration for pocket carry is not shooting yourself so the fewer cords/lanyards the better. If you get a Glock or the like for pocket carry, one of those Kydex trigger covers with a loop for a lanyard would be a great idea.) sorry long paranthetical I know.

Last edited:
Like this then immediately took it back, 9mm in a revolver is a no for me dawg.

I do not see the point of going to 9mm when .38 will work perfectly well and is designed to be shot out of that kind of gun.

Is it though? I mean, that's the conventional wisdom, but I was looking at BBTI charts the other day and noticed the following:

.38 Federal 125gr Hydra-shok JHP
2" Barrel = 700fps
3" Barrel = 831fps (+131)
4" Barrel = 954fps (+121)

9mm Federal 124gr Hydra-shok JHP
2" Barrel = 900fps
3" Barrel = 988fps (+88)
4" Barrel = 1061fps (+73)

Seems like 9mm is less affected by shorter barrel length than .38 for snub nose revolvers. No idea personally what that means for energy down range, but interesting to note that .38 fares much better in longer barrels. Wonder if that has to do with length of casing and powder burning time for such short barrels with snub nose.

My glock 43x is always holstered but the springfield 911 started calling my name being a 1911 style gun, only thing that turned me off was the .380 but now that they sell it in 9mm with only a .4 inch difference in overall length it seems attractive

I rotate between 442, 365, and Bodyguard, depending on what I'm wearing and what I feel like carrying that day.
Every now and then my 4" 686 goes in a holster on my belt.

P365

I bought the LC9 around 2011 when the subcompact market was more limited. I just range tested the P365 and will be picking one up soon. Excellent shooter and seems easy to carry. As always a range test is a must.

I've seen them all, and tried on many. If you need to go smaller than the 43 and want to stay with 9mm, my best recommendation is the SIG 938 with the 7-rd mag. It's actually quite comfortable to shoot, which I can't say about the S&W BG380 or the LCP2.

If you carry any pistol in the pocket without a proper pocket holster, don't buy the pistol in the first place. That's an IQ test. My favorite pocket holster is the Sticky. I have two, which I've used for years, and they still look new.

Back
Top Bottom