Best EDC pocket pistol?

I just got a SW 642 a week ago. My experience is very limited but ill do my best.

I compared it to the lcr and while the lcr is lighter on paper i couldnt tell a difference in the store. I have a shield which i deemed unfit for pocket duty/belly band carry due to the weight. The 5-6oz window bewteen the 16oz revolver and the ~22oz (loaded) shield is significant for me, moreso than the overall footprint of the gun.

As for the 5 shot capacity, it sucks, but i basically only bought it for times i couldnt carry anything more.

The trigger is heavy, and i plan on getting an apex kit to reduce it or some comparable kit after ive had a chance to read up on them.

I probably would have gone with a scandium frame .357 i found one within an hours drive....but the cost is kind of crazy to justify for something i dont even really want to carry.

Good luck!

Ruger LCP II is a good option. It's not a range toy and it's a bit unpleasant to shoot a lot, but it works when a pocket is the only choice.

For pocket carry I've settled on the Sig P38. And once in a while a M&P Shield 9mm. Also once in a while the Ruger LCR 357, with Hornady 38 special. Not with .357 magnum ammo for god's sake.

For me, it was a P238. I threw on a Crimson Trace laser and it was still manageable. I now EDC a P365, but could probably carry it in a pocket if need be.

For me, it was a P238. I threw on a Crimson Trace laser and it was still manageable. I now EDC a P365, but could probably carry it in a pocket if need be.

how does one carry those? Are there pocket holsters that cover the safety and you carry condition 1? Or is the safety stiff enough you can leave it exposed in your pocket? Been ages since I had hands on one.

how does one carry those? Are there pocket holsters that cover the safety and you carry condition 1? Or is the safety stiff enough you can leave it exposed in your pocket? Been ages since I had hands on one.

No - there are pocket holsters that cover the safety. You just to have to look for them. I started carrying it at 4:00 with a double strap, then at 6 with a single clasp before going to a true dedicated pocket holster.

Between cellphone taking up my right pocket, and car/house keys + Credit cards taking my left, I am not sure how you guys pocket carry.

Serious questions... Do you carry a wallet in your back pocket instead? Where do you put your keys?

Anyway, if pocket carry is a must, I love how the Kahr PM9 feels. It is such a small/light gun and it has been around for a while.

Between cellphone taking up my right pocket, and car/house keys + Credit cards taking my left, I am not sure how you guys pocket carry.

Serious questions... Do you carry a wallet in your back pocket instead? Where do you put your keys?

Anyway, if pocket carry is a must, I love how the Kahr PM9 feels. It is such a small/light gun and it has been around for a while.

For me:

Front left is keys and credit cards / cash rubber banded together.
Rear left is cell phone.
Rear right is handkerchief.
Right watch pocket is small knife, maybe.
Right pocket is pistol.
Belt is knife.

Pistol and knife can swap positions to OWB and knife clipped to pocket.

the only pistol i've ever pocket carried was a walther ppk. that was many years ago. since then i came to my senses and went iwb.

I holster carry now, but I had my keys in my front left pocket, gun and money clip in the right front, and my cell in my back right. Obviously some pants/shorts are better than others, but that generally worked for me. Ever since I ditched a full sized wallet, I carry only what I need.

The safety on my 938 has never moved without my doing so. It's got a definitive on/off.
I mostly iwb it but also have a galloway trigger guard 'holster' for pocket carry, which I never do lol.

Front left pocket (I'm left-handed): Pistol
Right front pocket: cell phone and keys and spare magazine
Back right pocket: knife and wallet

This time of year I can also put any of the above in my two front coat pockets. I've snuck a Makarov in my front coat pocket as well.

FWIW, not a PC guy.
I've got more carry options than I care to mention, but it's always owb for me.

Same here. 99% of the time it is my M&P Shield (45) OWB. It is the most comfortable and it is easy to conceal.

I do occasionally pocket carry a Ruger LCR in a Sticky holster.

I think that a lot of new CCWers get too hung up on concealment and printing. It’s not a big deal if it prints. 99% of the population is clueless.

I assume that most LEO’s will notice it even if it is well concealed as they know what to look for.

Bob

What do you think of the 442? I've debated getting one or a Colt Cobra. I pocket my LCP II a good amount, but the mag popped out once somehow and I've always had a nagging voice in the back of my head since then... that and I'd rather do 38spl than 380.
I've carried my 442 every day since I bought it in 2008. On my 3rd cheap Blackhawk pocket holster - they work great for a few years, then get kind of floppy.
The revolver shoots great, very accurate and durable and handles great
The only thing I don't like -- the cylinder should swing out just a bit farther to make using speedloaders quicker and easier. It takes some practice - works best if the bullets are only slightly inserted into the cylinder

I pocket carry when im forced to, or im running out to the grocery store in gym shorts/sweats.

In the left pocket will be phone/wallet/keys. In the right is the pistol. IWB on the right side is a pocket knife.

Th pistol can also go in a jacket pocket and then i put my normal stuff in the usual 4 pockets.

Put your keys on a lanyard and hook them to your belt loop.
I pocket carried for years with a PM-9 in the hottest months, but even with cargo shorts and a T-shirt, a 365 IWB is friggin invisible. With a horizontal spare mag carrier, the 365 never leaves me feeling like I don't have enough gun.

The thing about the PM-9 I like the most is that it is accurate as hell and doesn't deliver a ton of recoil. Even though I carry the 365 much more, I won't get rid of the Kahr. Great BUG in an ankle holster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom