Best Defense Ammo for Beretta 92FS?

XenoSaber

NES Member
OK, I did a lot of searching on the site and can't find a really good answer to the following.

What is the best defense ammo for a large 9mm?

I have a Beretta 92FS and am currently using Hornady 115 grain Defense rounds, I think they are spreading not the JHP. I was wondering mostly about grain and type. Would a higher grain, 124 or 147, and hollow points be better for stopping power?

Also, is it OK to use +P in a Beretta? I'm told it's OK that the military does?

Last edited:
Go nuts; the 92 will feed almost anything, regardless of weight, +p or +p+. Just try to shoot a couple mags of it first to make sure whatever you select will hit at point of aim and feels OK. I'm a fan of the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p because of their reputation, lack of flash, and that I can't tell the difference in recoil between them and some of my TMJ ammo.

But it's personal preference. The gun likely has no feelings on the matter, and just shoot a little bit to verify that.

These days any quality HP will be good. That said Corbon DPX has shown to have better penetration through multiple layers of clothing

I use Remington 124gr +P Gold Sabres in my 92FS. I also keep a mag of Winchester PDX1 124gr +P Bonded as well. These were all I could find in regards to 9mm hollowpoint in my area. Seem to shoot and function OK though.

Go nuts; the 92 will feed almost anything, regardless of weight, +p or +p+. Just try to shoot a couple mags of it first to make sure whatever you select will hit at point of aim and feels OK. I'm a fan of the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p because of their reputation, lack of flash, and that I can't tell the difference in recoil between them and some of my TMJ ammo.

But it's personal preference. The gun likely has no feelings on the matter, and just shoot a little bit to verify that.

I cannot find any information on ammunition from Beretta concerning +P ammo. Most semi pistols do not recommend +P or +P+. Do you have documentation on +P or is it just what you have used? I have a bunch of +P but nothing I can shoot it in.

the manual advises against it IIRC but it's not like you're blowing through thousands of rounds of it.

i've got hydra shoks just because i couldn't find any gold dots.

am currently using Hornady 115 grain Defense rounds, I think they are spreading not the JHP.

If by "spreading" you mean "expanding", then there is no difference between that an a JHP (jacketed hollow point". Some Hornady ammo uses a urethane-like plug in the hollow point to prevent it from being clogged up with fabric so even though it doesn't look like a hollow point, it works just like one.

What is the best defense ammo for a large 9mm?
Any quality, premium expanding bullet load from a major manufacturer in whatever bullet weight will shoot to point of aim in your pistol. There is no hard and fast answer.

Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger and Supreme Elite and Cor-Bon DPX have plenty to choose from in 9x19.

Use +P if you want, the gun won't care.

If by "spreading" you mean "expanding", then there is no difference between that an a JHP (jacketed hollow point". Some Hornady ammo uses a urethane-like plug in the hollow point to prevent it from being clogged up with fabric so even though it doesn't look like a hollow point, it works just like one.

He may be refering to a EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) design

efmj-1.gif

The "standard" bullet weight for 9mm Luger is 124 grains.

The lighter 115 grain loads are for plinking.

The heavier 147 grain loads are the good ones for self defense, especially if you can find hollow points of any design, at that weight. Not positive, but I believe that the police and military guys who carry the M9, are using 147 grains HP's.

If you are used to practicing with 124 grain bullets (I use plated 124 grain flat points), and want to stay with the same aim points, then go with the 124 grain hollow points.

If you don't care about aim point, per se.... (most self defense shots are taken at close quarters, 20 feet or less), then go with the 147 grain HP's for self defense.

With regard to the question of whether +P is usable in your gun....... the best answer to that question with regard to ANY gun is to check with the owners manual for your gun. If you don't have one, the manufacturer will bend over backwards to get you one FAST! The manual will address that subject if the gun is capable of handling the +P or the +P+ ammo.

You can also call the gun manufacturer's 1-800-number and get the info direct from them. It's best NOT to take "heresay" info about that subject from anyone else (other than the manufacturer), due to the liability issue.

Last edited:
The lighter 115 grain loads are for plinking.
Corbon DPX and Hornady FTX 115 grainers are definitely not for plinking

The heavier 147 grain loads are the good ones for self defense, especially if you can find hollow points of any design, at that weight.
Every major manufacturer makes defensive loads in that weight. I prefer 147 grains in 9x19

Not positive, but I believe that the police and military guys who carry the M9, are using 147 grains HP's.
Police departments that issue the 92SF vary widely in the weight of the bullet they issue. The military issue 9x19 is a 124 grain FMJ.

With regard to the question of whether +P is usable in your gun....... the best answer to that question with regard to ANY gun is to check with the owners manual for your gun. If you don't have one, the manufacturer will bend over backwards to get you one FAST! The manual will address that subject if the gun is capable of handling the +P or the +P+ ammo.

You can also call the gun manufacturer's 1-800-number and get the info direct from them. It's best NOT to take "heresay" info about that subject from anyone else (other than the manufacturer), due to the liability issue.
You mean the same manufacturers that will tell you to not use handloaded ammo?

You mean the same manufacturers that will tell you to not use handloaded ammo?

IIRC, most do that because there's no other company that could be blamed if the handloader's QC fails. +P and +P+ are standards, and the manufacturers I've spoke to haven't had a problem. I'll try to find my 92FS manual later, IIRC it did specify that +P and +P+ were fine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are the ones with the plug thing. I did find some 147Gr JHP Winchester that are labeled subsonic. I was told this was impossible, but they work and feel great firing so I'm gonna go with 1 mag of those and one mag of the Hornady's.

Ah, I was wrong. Of course, it says "we do not recommend" for the high pressure stuff, as opposed to "will void the warranty" for reloads. Not sure what that's all about.

Actually it says they do not recommend "extended" use of +p or +P+ ammunition.

Good now when I pick up my Beretta I'll have something to shoot my +P ammo in

instead of making a new post, i was searching some old posts but can't seem to find it.

I'm starting to reload 9mm and i am looking to get the closet round possible to what the Army shoots, but i can't seem to find what type of powder is best for the 9x19.

Any suggestions?

instead of making a new post, i was searching some old posts but can't seem to find it.

I'm starting to reload 9mm and i am looking to get the closet round possible to what the Army shoots, but i can't seem to find what type of powder is best for the 9x19.

Military uses a 124 gr bullet going about 1263 FPS. Closest you're going to get to that is a 115 gr FMJ. I've used 4.5 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup under a 115 gr FMJ with a COAL of 1.155. If you want it to get into the 1200s you can try the max load of titegroup at 4.8..... it might break 1200 fps or so, not sure. (I know it got me into the 1230s or so with my Sig X5, but the barrel on that is longer than the Beretta's is. ) Power Pistol will produce hotter loads than that, although case capacity eventually becomes an issue. If you want it hotter than that you will need to use something like IMR SR7625, although that stuff is considerably more expensive. If I had a 92 I'd probably just run my 4.5 gr titegroup/115 loads in it. I've probably loaded up more rounds with that combo with great success. It pretty much replicates most middle of the road factory ammo.

I would only use FMJ based cartridges for practice and not self defense- it's just ball ammo. For defense purposes something like a Speer GDHP 124 standard or 124+P is going to
be somewhat better than ball ammo.

-Mike

Last edited:
Military uses a 112 gr bullet going about 1263 FPS. Closest you're going to get to that is a 115 gr FMJ. I've used 4.5 grains of Hornady Titegroup under a 115 gr FMJ with a COAL of 1.155. If you want it to get into the 1200s you can try the max load of titegroup at 4.8..... it might break 1200 fps or so, not sure. (I know it got me into the 1230s or so with my Sig X5, but the barrel on that is longer than the Beretta's is. ) Power Pistol will produce hotter loads than that, although case capacity eventually becomes an issue. If you want it hotter than that you will need to use something like IMR SR7625, although that stuff is considerably more expensive. If I had a 92 I'd probably just run my 4.5 gr titegroup/115 loads in it. I've probably loaded
up more rounds with that combo with great success. It pretty much replicates most middle of the road factory ammo.

I would only use FMJ based cartridges for practice and not self defense- it's just ball ammo. For defense purposes something like a Speer GDHP 124 standard or 124+P is going to
be somewhat better than ball ammo.

-Mike

Thanks Mike

I had a 92fs and had to sell it because it bit me.

That being said, if you had a 92fs and there was any 9mm ammo it didn't eat, I'd say you have a defective firearm.

My 92 was as reliable as any glock or sig I've owned. Limpwristing with the thing dirty I couldn't get it to fail.

The only SD ammo I'd avoid is the plastic tipped stuff, like pow-r-ball. This stuff is known to be funky.

I'm a big proponent of the speer 124 gr load.

Back
Top Bottom