Best colors for New England environment

Looking to do a custom paint job on some of my guns but can’t decide on the best color scheme for our environment. I’m in western mass so more wooded than Boston but still plenty of urban in the mix.

then I begin thinking, do you paint for all seasons or just one, can you even really effectively paint an all season color scheme living In this area?

Paint you rifle so that it would disappear if dropped into a pile of fallen autumn leaves.

Not because it useful in a tactical sense (it’s not) but just because with modern techniques you can.

🐯

In all seriousness, camo isn't necessarily about color, so much as using shading and shadows to break up unnatural shapes.

This. It could be hot pink and black and still effective. Old school flannel hunting jackets break up the human pattern because its checkered black and red or green.

Generally speaking, green, black, tan, and brown are good in New England until snow, then its grey, white, and black.

If I was going to have a gun done in a camo pattern, I would pick an existing pattern like Finnish M05 or Rhodesian Brush Stroke or DPM or flecktarn or digital winter camo.

Paint you rifle so that it would disappear if dropped into a pile of fallen autumn leaves.
Written like someone who owns a metal detector.

(My father once got a call from the owner of the gun store
at the end of the road he was born on.
Some flatlander out hunting took the bolt out of his deer rifle
and dropped it in the leaves somewhere on the last few yards walk to the car.
My father saddled up with his metal detector,
scanned around, and found it pretty quickly
).

How's this for an all season color/pattern scheme?
Seems fishy to me.

Camo is about breaking up outlines.

When we were taught to camo our weapons in the Army, the idea was to take local foliage and stick it onto the rifle sparingly. Renew often, as there's nothing worse than a browned-out pine twig poking out from among nice green fir branches.

I've never been all that concerned about camo-ing a rifle. Your gloves on the handguard and pistol grip, plus the angle at which you hold the barrel, are probably good enough.

When we were taught to camo our weapons in the Army, the idea was to take local foliage and stick it onto the rifle sparingly. Renew often, as there's nothing worse than a browned-out pine twig poking out from among nice green fir branches.

I've never been all that concerned about camo-ing a rifle. Your gloves on the handguard and pistol grip, plus the angle at which you hold the barrel, are probably good enough.

Looking to do a custom paint job on some of my guns but can’t decide on the best color scheme for our environment. I’m in western mass so more wooded than Boston but still plenty of urban in the mix.

then I begin thinking, do you paint for all seasons or just one, can you even really effectively paint an all season color scheme living In this area?
Flat black

Coyote Tan/Brown goes with almost anything and it's why the military chose it for the Marines to go with both their desert & woodland uniforms since they couldn't afford two different patterns for load bearing equipment & body armor. Similar to why the army chose it as the color for the M17/M18 pistols.
Flat Dull Earth is similarly suitable for almost any environment.

We have leaves on trees for no more than 5.5 months, with 2 weeks of colored.

So my opinion. Brown. Just get a rattle-can ofdull brown and go to town.

go out and take a picture of the woods behind your house in whatever season you want to match, zoom in on some of it, and the have ut hydro dipped using that picture lol

plus, after that first shot camo becomes a moot point.

I once lost track of my Mossy Oak Obsession coated Mossberg 535 for a brief moment, after leaning it against a tree.

Be careful out there.

ETA some possibly useful infos

Back
Top Bottom