• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best CCW in MA......

You're going to find the most common answer for this is question is the best CCW is different per person. The best CCW what ever firearm you can shoot best and still conceal.

Many people will recommend a MP compact, glock 26/27, snub nose revolvers, etc.

My next CCW firearm will be an LCR.

It's a personal preference thing - there really is no 'best'.

I used to carry a S&W 642, but I switched to a Walther PPS in 9mm.

I carry what I shoot well. It's all about personal preference.. I know my carry gun like the back of my hand, and personally that's how I think it should be..

Hello, I am new here and would like your advice.

What is your preference in CCW?

TIA

As mentioned. This depends more on you than anything else. This is kind of like asking what are the best shoes? An 18eee new balance may be great in one person's opinion but, if you're a size 10 it's not that great.

What can you shoot well?
What can you reasonably carry?
What type of clothes you wear? This will have a huge effect as well.

Ideally, You'd like to have the same gun, in the same position at all times. A Full size 1911 may work great with jeans and untucked shirt, not so great in a speedo or a suit though..

There is no "best". One person's best is often another persons misery.

For example I usually carry a G30SF, G19, or my P2000. I can carry any of them year round. For many people those are all "too big". What works for one person might not work for another.

You have to discover what works FOR YOU. As seanc wisely stated, that can meet a whole number of different parameters. For every person those
parameters mean different things and carry different levels of importance.

For example, one person may find that they can really only get away with carrying the smallest gun possible for their situations, even if they have to sacrifice firepower and the like. Something is always better than nothing, but you have to decide what kind of compromises you're willing to make.

-Size/Concealment/Weight issues -eg does this gun work with the clothing I
usually wear? Also be aware that belt and holster selection is imperative, especially when carrying larger guns.

-Ergonomics (how the gun points and fits in your hand when deployed, sighting systems, being able to keep the gun under control while firing, etc)

-Firepower (both caliber and the number of rounds the gun carries internally)

-Costs (does this gun fit my budget? Can I afford to shoot this gun enough to stay proficient with it? Can I reload for this caliber?)

-Can I use the gun effectively? If the gun has a learning curve, am I willing to make the effort to train to use it effectively? (For example, guns like the SW642 have a relatively steep learning curve due to the heavy trigger and often oddball sight positioning (depending on the size/shape of ones hand) so they take some effort to shoot well.

That's just a short list.

-Mike

Last edited:
Wow......

Thanks for all your prompt responses......

Well, I am new at this, I just received my LTC and I am researching options.

I am a dentist and plan to take the 102, 103 and Concealed weapon course at the Sig academy.

I am about 5'8" medium built and was looking at either the Walther PPS or the Sig 229... (9mm)

As far as shooting, I am joining the Andover Sportsman Club next month and plan to exercise in their indoor and outdoor range.

Any more advice for a newbie like myself?

I hope I am not sounding too naive on the subject (because I am)......[wave]

Matters what season. Winter glock 19, summer s&w airweight shrouded hammer. Get what is comfortable for your body size and what gun you shoot the best.

Since people asked what the best CCW is, rather than best CCW gun, I'll offer an answer to the question that was actually asked (perhaps not the intended question, but the one that was asked :) )

Best CCW: Diplomatic passport from a country with which the US has relationships and grants immunity status.

Second best CCW: LEOSA credentials or active LEO status

Third best CCW: LTC-A/restrictions: none

Get a Sig if you can conceal it comfortably.

I had to switch to the Walther PPS because the Sig was a little too bulky for me.

Both are great guns, but there's no plastic on the Sig...

Since people asked what the best CCW is, rather than best CCW gun, I'll offer an answer to the question that was actually asked (perhaps not the intended question, but the one that was asked :) )

Best CCW: Diplomatic passport from a country with which the US has relationships and grants immunity status.

Second best CCW: LEOSA credentials or active LEO status

Third best CCW: LTC-A/restrictions: none

Doesn't the "W" in "CCW" stand for "weapon", not "permit" [wink]?

My CCW pistols range from as large as a 4" S&W Model 629 to as small as a 2" S&W Model 637.

Today I am carrying an S&W M&P9.

It's a personal preference thing - there really is no 'best'.

I used to carry a S&W 642, but I switched to a Walther PPS in 9mm.

How are you liking the PPS? Back in the day I used to carry a Glock 26 and just was annoyed by the width. I would say I carry my 642 about 90% of the time so I am always interested in a switching story to a semi that is not a 2 finger hold.

Take the training, try as many different pistols as you can. Find the ones that YOU shoot well. (grip angle, grip design, sight design, overall geometry, etc will all come into play in how YOU handle specific guns.)

SIGarms is a good school, but you might want to attend at least one independent course where you can use guns that are not all one brand (or make the effort to go to a large member shoot/rental center and try different things)

Try to take a course where you can try several carry methods. See what you prefer and what will fit your lifestyle. The Members section keeps bringing up the "Holster Party" idea to try all kinds of designs, but location/time/etc all seem to never come together.

Another way to try a gun is to ask. Most shooters I know will be happy to allow someone to try a gun out. It is considered good manners to bring ammo if you intend to give it a good workout, but that varies. I know I don't like some brands of ammo put into certain guns and would rather supply my own than not.

Try to stick with common ammo calibers (.38 special, .357 Magnum, 9x19mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP) More esoteric calibers (.357 SIG, .45 GAP, etc) may offer something to you, but ammo availability for practice and such is not nearly as common.

Since the S&W .500 and S&W .460 came out, I have to special order any .480 Ruger I want to load in my Bear gun because there just isn't any demand at all. I suspect in a few years, it will be handload only for that caliber. You don't want to get caught in that kind of situation for a carry pistol.

Select a combination you've decided might work. Try it. Be prepared to reject it. Unfortunately, you will have a drawer of holsters as you discover what works and what doesn't. Hopefully you won't have to hunt for a gun you like - that can get expensive.

While cheaper 'plastic' holsters might seem a good way to 'try' a means of carry, rarely do they do the position justice. A top quality holster can make a location feel perfect where another slightly different design might be completely wrong. I still prefer leather for long term carry over any of the Kydex designs just because leather tends to better mold into position and make less noise when you move. But good leather is NOT cheap.

Be aware that some holster features don't always work. For example, that flap that lies between the upper end of the gun and your body might sound like a great idea until you find out that sometimes the flap moves, covers the holster opening, can pinch, etc.

A holster that NEEDS a strap is usually an indication that the holster isn't holding the gun right.

Be prepared to discover that you have 2 or even 3 different setups that you prefer depending on situations.

Make the time to get some practice and range time. You can practice drawing and such at home with a VERIFIED empty gun, but you need to get to the range to keep marksmanship skills sharp. Does no good to carry if you can't use it. This year has been tough for me, but I've made the effort to go at least once a month and empty my current magazines on the range. Its only 45 rounds, but it's 45 rounds most people do not ever do. (that's 3 10 round mags for the M&P and 3 loads of 5 rounds on the .38 snubbie)

In any case, feel free to decide for yourself regarding anything. Just because your choice is not what every gun 'expert' recommends, if it means you are better able to carry, then it is a good choice for you.

You'll hear a lot that "A gun should be comforting, not comfortable." That's BS. If it isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. Make the effort to find the gun and carry system that makes it work for your routine.

+100 take as much training and shoot as many different things you can..

That being said.. As a dentist. You will generally be wearing more business type clothes. They are expected to look like they fit correctly as this is a reflection of your position and your practice. This will very much limit your options. A full size anything is probably NOT going to work. You will have to be on your feet, walking where people ARE watching you. You will have to constantly be sitting standing walking and bending over patients. If anybody outside of your most trusted staff even hear about you carrying, it could be catasrophic for your business especially in this area.

You can not print as you will certainly drive away a huge amount of clients. You can not be constantly "adjusting" as you sit, stand, bend. You can't have a buldge protruding from your small of back or strong side as your back/ side is to mommy and your face and hands are in little Johnny's mouth.

IMO, I would probably looking at something along the line of a very light weight, small gun. Something you can do a pocket carry, probably maxing out about the size of an airweight or similar size. You'll less likely be questioned about having your pockets/ lab coat full of stuff, depending on your pants, you might get away with a deep cover pager type rig.. Lesser power and slower to get into action. But, at least you'll still have a practice..

Last edited:
Chris and Sean, great points.....

I guess the alternative in my practice would be to leave the CCW in a safe place in my private office.

I just don't think I would enjoy a sub-compact and its massive recoil, but than again, what do I know since I am so new at this?

Thank you all for you inputs, your opinion is very important to me......so keep it coming.....[grin]

I guess the alternative in my practice would be to leave the CCW in a safe place in my private office.

Nothing short of a secure lock box would work, and that would make access virtually impossible in a hurry. I would consider this only if no other method works.

I just don't think I would enjoy a sub-compact and its massive recoil, but than again, what do I know since I am so new at this?

I think you would be amazed how easily a small .38 can vanish in a pocket, and .38 is not at all harsh on recoil. Sure, shot count isn't as high, but when concealment is critical, it works.

Recoil isn't JUST a matter of caliber. Don't be swayed by one gun's action. I have examples of .40 where the HEAVIER gun has worse recoil.

Right now, focus on finding a gun that you like to shoot and can shoot well. THEN, worry about how to mix it into your life. You might find that you are not at all recoil sensitive and that .357 airweight is perfectly OK. Or, you might find that a good 9mm is where you are most comfortable. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

Chris and Sean, great points.....

Thank you all for you inputs, your opinion is very important to me......so keep it coming.....[grin]

As a somewhat off topic.. I think many of us here like to put our money where our mouth is (in this case very literally) and would prefer to support those that are of similar thinking..

You might find that a number of the people here would be happy to patronize a pro 2A dentist.

If you are in the northbridge or marlboro area, please PM your business details.

joined Andover, eh? i shoot there a couple times a month (trap).

if you want, i'd be more than happy to bring a few guns out that way..that you're more than welcome to try. or if you feel like making a trek down towards Malden (to my club, Mystic Valley), i can bring a few more (Glock 19, SA XD9 subcompact, S&W 642).

send me a PM if it sounds worthwhile.

Sub Compact guns don't always = more recoil... [grin]

I'm a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn... you're welcome to be my guest and I would gladly bring some of my toys for you to try out. Sub compact and compact Glocks, S&W 60, Compact Sigs, HK USPc 9mm, Beretta M9, etc.

PM me if you're interested. And the invitation's open to anyone else as well.

Back
Top Bottom