Best Carry 1911 $1,000 or Less

You could do well with a Norinco model 1911 and you’d be pleased. Preban and easily gained for under $500.

I wouldn’t agree with this. I carry a 1911 every day and its a compact Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ a 3.5” bbl in 45acp. For me a govt model 1911 is to long to conceal well iwb. I know it’s not the same for everyone.

I used the caveat "typically" for a reason. Not everyone does everything the same way, as you said.

I disagree. People that “actually” carry 1911’s everyday are not carrying government models. That gets old real quick. I’ve tried.
I own a few Gen 2 Glocks. They’re fine but the triggers are nothing special. I’m looking for SAO and the ergos of the 1911 are hard to beat.

If you demand a carry gun with a good trigger, and you haven't quantified what a "special" trigger is, you have a ton of options. You do you. I enjoy carrying a two pound Browning Hi-Power.

No matter what you choose; if used do good detail cleaning (not just field stripped,) then talk to a competent gunsmith about your needs. Consider replacing springs and extractor if worn or just old, find out what ammo works best from previous owner, (if possible)
If new, try a couple boxes of different brand target ammo, then defensive ammo & get the creep out of the trigger.

If the frame & slide rattle a bit, consider having the firearm ceracoated. I had this done to my Colt 1991 (it doesn't rattle at all now.)and accuracy went from acceptable to scarily accurate. (One ragged hole) It came with a list of work done by a gunsmith which was pretty much what I suggested. It's my observation most 1911's need tweaking. What worked for me and my gun might not work for you. Opinions of other shooters (and gunsmiths WILL vary. I'm no expert but like everyone else, I have opinions.

Besides, I'm retired and got nothin' else to do. 😁 YMMV consult a financial advisor before attempting

Last edited:
There’s a Colt Commandper at FS for $900 right now. I know nothing about it, am not connected to it in any way, but am passing along the info.

Another vote for a smith scandium commander. I’ve been carrying a 1911pd off and on for a 10 years or so.

I’m waiting on getting a 1911 until I know a bit more but I would recommend going for something chambered in 45 ACP not 9 mm. My fourth time to the range I shot a 9mm 1911 and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Never liked 9mm 1911s ever since.

I agree Sig Nightmare would be a good move or even Sig Tribal barrel length 3.3” and the SS slide is the only place it would fall short of your requirements.

How am I limiting myself, simply because I don’t an all steel and/or government sized pistol? Do you live in MA? Do you understand how things work here?
He's well aware of how things work in ma. Once YOU figure out how things actually work you will soon realize you can get just about any handgun you want legally.

How am I limiting myself, simply because I don’t an all steel and/or government sized pistol? Do you live in MA? Do you understand how things work here?
You limited yourself to Ruger, S&W, Springfield and a few Sigs. Why? There is no reason to limit yourself. You can BUY any 1911 you want. You can buy ANY pistol you want as long as it is not an assault weapon. So why did you artificially limit yourself?

Do I understand how things work here? Yes. I am a MA dealer and 07 FFL/SOT. I know very well how things work here. People who know nothing about guns pass laws. AGs make things up or use consumer safety regulations to limit the actions of dealers. Then instructors teaching classes, dealers and owners lacking intelligence or imagination mischaracterize MA law in such a way that people think they can't buy what they want to buy.

If someone says "pre-ban glock" then you know they know zero about MA gun laws since glocks are not banned.

But because the AGs and lawmakers are actually all baboons, their efforts are all for naught for the educated buyer. You can buy anything you want. Decide what you want to get and then go buy it. If the first place you try cant/wont sell it, keep trying.

Wow is cerakote that thick!?
a few thousandth 's of an inch is all you need sometimes. and it does wear, so it's temporary at best. If you need something thicker you need metal work done and/or made a really bad choice. Always consult a competent gunsmith. What worked for me might not work for you.

Last edited:
As I implied earlier, I'm a fan of the SW E-series Scandium bobtail. I sold mine, which might have been a mistake, but I've frequently carried guns as diverse as a full-size Randall A131 with a top rib, a CLOACP, and a good ol' R1. I trust all of them, and none of them are too big, clunky, or uncomfortable to conceal.

These days, like @C. Stockwell, I haul a BHP, specifically a fixed-sight 1944 Inglis with a replacement bbl and some prior owner's cerakote job. It's a flawlessly functioning and beautifully made piece of combat goodness, and it's the same size as a full-size 1911.

Carries just fine.

ETA: I forgot to add, OP, that I bought every one of those bad boys in MA, and none cost more than $1000.

one consideration re: Sig 1911 is difficulty finding holsters. the sig profile slide looks cool but limits holster options especially for my preferred holster builders who don't accommodate it.

But because the AGs and lawmakers are actually all baboons, their efforts are all for naught for the educated buyer.

given my paternal uncle is genetically a baboon, I find your metaphor highly insulting

I'm with you on not carrying a full-size. While I went right to a compact I see no real benefit in a 5" over a commander for self defense. I've only carried my full-size s&w OWB but it's definitely heavy and drawing a 5" can be awkward. Strong side atleast. No experience appendix carrying.

Smith 1911ES officer frame commander slide.
It's a beautiful firearm. But I just can't get over the ridiculous warning they insist on putting on the frame. I would want to remove it. Or better yet, change it to something like " Warning: Hot coffee is hot". Maybe, " Warning, bullets come out this end".

I like but....restricted in The Commiewealth ?

UPC: 098289111050
Model: Lightweight Commander
SKU: 04840XE
LW Commander (45ACP)
Manufacturer: \Model: Lightweight Commander\Caliber:

Restrictions:
  • California,
  • Massachusetts

$999 msrp. Light Weight Commander. Sometimes, the most obvious answer is the best answer.
Novak sights, aluminum alloy frame. 8+1.

View attachment 330871

I carry a government model all steel, yep its heavy and my getting old hips are sore after a day, i find that carrying a x2 mag pouch on the other side helps out plus i use a crossbreed holster. really, its all in the holster, get a good one, no unkle mikes.

At that price point I'd be carrying something that wasn't a 1911....
I'm not a fan of Ruger SR1911 triggers. A good Springfield is, well, good, but you have to choose carefully as I find many of them are quite crunchy. S&Ws consistently impress. Or you should be able to find a near-mint SIG within your price range. I have found the SIG triggers consistently light and smooth.
Lol it's a 1911, if the trigger is all thats f***ed on it, a good smith can easily fix that to your liking.

I disagree. People that “actually” carry 1911’s everyday are not carrying government models. That gets old real quick. I’ve tried.
I own a few Gen 2 Glocks. They’re fine but the triggers are nothing special. I’m looking for SAO and the ergos of the 1911 are hard to beat.
I carried a delta elite, and then a couple colt officers mods, at a different time, and while they were all decent guns eventually i figured out it was stupid, said f*** it and went to glocks and never looked back. Would i carry a 1911 ever again? Maybe, but it's difficult to justify.

I like but....restricted in The Commiewealth ?

UPC: 098289111050
Model: Lightweight Commander
SKU: 04840XE
LW Commander (45ACP)
Manufacturer: \Model: Lightweight Commander\Caliber:

Restrictions:
  • California,
  • Massachusetts

You are correct Sir. However, there are very simple ways to legally acquire one.

Back
Top Bottom