• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Carry 1911 $1,000 or Less

I’m in the market for a carry 1911 in 9mm or 45 ACP but there are a few caveats. It must be light weight (no all steel frames), it must be commander size or smaller, and here is the real kicker - I live in MA and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson. It can be used or new but I would like to keep the price tag at $1,000 or less. Oh, and it has to be pretty darn reliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

I've been happy with my Springfield compact .45. the only issue I've had is a Kimber flush 7rnd mag causing a double feed and the sights seem to be a little off.

if you can find one i carry an all steel colt combat commander in 38 super. conceals well and 10 rds 38 super offers plenty of stopping power

I wear a Ruger Lightweight 9mm a fair bit of the time. I've shot it a lot, and reliability is outstanding . 10 Round Tripps are the ticket for me. I think perhaps the ramped barrel has something to do with that, as well as not worrying in the least about firing some of the +P+ stuff. The gun itself shoots as good as anything else I have, but I do find I have to grip the lightweights really hard and bear down on holding it still while pulling the trigger much more than with a 5 inch steel gun.

I’m in the market for a carry 1911 in 9mm or 45 ACP but there are a few caveats. It must be light weight (no all steel frames), it must be commander size or smaller, and here is the real kicker - I live in MA and am pretty much limited to Ruger, Springfield, a few Sigs (Ultra Carry 9mm is approved) and Smith & Wesson. It can be used or new but I would like to keep the price tag at $1,000 or less. Oh, and it has to be pretty darn reliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!
You are not limited like you claim. Decide what you like/want then find someone to sell it to you. So living in MA is not "the real kicker". Your self imposed artificial limitation is the "real kicker".

With that said, my recommendation is a Ruger. Ruger SR1911 officer or commander based on preference. For the sub $1000 1911 market, I always recommend Ruger.

get the right holster and wont need an alum frame, nor commander
i rarely carry a 1911 but if I’m the mood my colt competition in JM custom AIWB is a breeze to carry

There's a .45 combat commander in the classifieds but the asking price is double what you want to spend. I doubt you'll get a Colt commander or combat commander in any caliber in your price range.

If youre gonna bump your budget go for the BEC worked over S&W performance center commander. But the RO Elite compact is great if you're looking for brand new. No front strap checkering kinda stinks but it's fine.

Oh ya Springfield also does a lightweight champion 4" barrel full size frame.

Last edited:
You are not limited like you claim. Decide what you like/want then find someone to sell it to you. So living in MA is not "the real kicker". Your self imposed artificial limitation is the "real kicker".

With that said, my recommendation is a Ruger. Ruger SR1911 officer or commander based on preference. For the sub $1000 1911 market, I always recommend Ruger.

How am I limiting myself, simply because I don’t an all steel and/or government sized pistol? Do you live in MA? Do you understand how things work here?

How do you figure that?

Typically, someone who strongly wants to carry a 1911 carries a "Government Model" 1911 in .45ACP. What you'd really be better off with, considering the factors you have in mind, is a Glock 43 or 48 or 30 or 36. You want:

*9x19 or .45ACP
*Not steel
*Small
*100% reliable no questions asked

Just buy a Glock. There's plenty of guys in Mass with Glocks.

How am I limiting myself, simply because I don’t an all steel and/or government sized pistol? Do you live in MA? Do you understand how things work here?

Not only does he live in Mass, he's a Mass FFL [laugh]

This is the real answer.

He’s saying you are limiting yourself by the list. There are plenty of off List guns for sale. It’s not as easy as walking in to a store, but they are around

I'm not a fan of Ruger SR1911 triggers. A good Springfield is, well, good, but you have to choose carefully as I find many of them are quite crunchy. S&Ws consistently impress. Or you should be able to find a near-mint SIG within your price range. I have found the SIG triggers consistently light and smooth.

I'm not a fan of Ruger SR1911 triggers. A good Springfield is, well, good, but you have to choose carefully as I find many of them are quite crunchy. S&Ws consistently impress. Or you should be able to find a near-mint SIG within your price range. I have found the SIG triggers consistently light and smooth.
Thanks FiremanBob. There is actually a Smith SW1911SC Performance Center locally that is used that I am eyeing.

I don't know how "light weight" you want but, I would think that would eliminate most 1911's especially in the 45. An alternative to that would be an alloy or aluminum frame, and one you could look at would be the Kahr in a K series.

Typically, someone who strongly wants to carry a 1911 carries a "Government Model" 1911 in .45ACP.

I wouldn’t agree with this. I carry a 1911 every day and its a compact Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ a 3.5” bbl in 45acp. For me a govt model 1911 is to long to conceal well iwb. I know it’s not the same for everyone.

Typically, someone who strongly wants to carry a 1911 carries a "Government Model" 1911 in .45ACP. What you'd really be better off with, considering the factors you have in mind, is a Glock 43 or 48 or 30 or 36. You want:

*9x19 or .45ACP
*Not steel
*Small
*100% reliable no questions asked

Just buy a Glock. There's plenty of guys in Mass with Glocks.

Not only does he live in Mass, he's a Mass FFL [laugh]

This is the real answer.
I disagree. People that “actually” carry 1911’s everyday are not carrying government models. That gets old real quick. I’ve tried.
I own a few Gen 2 Glocks. They’re fine but the triggers are nothing special. I’m looking for SAO and the ergos of the 1911 are hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom