Best Budget AR Rifle? (AR Platform)

Hello everyone

I have been bitten by the gun bug full strength and now I am in the market for my next gun only weeks after getting my last lol. I am really looking to pick up an AR platform .22 rifle. Not because the liberals are trying to ban them and I'm worried I won't be able to get them but because I genuinely think it's such an amazing and versatile rifle for defense, hunting and target with affordable rounds, customizability and lightweight frame.

I don't want to pay 2,000 USD for a colt model AR-15 or something of the sorts. I would end up buying a M1 Garand if I saved that much lol. I have found many AR formats made by other companies just not called the AR-15 I guess because Colt owns the rights to the namesake by trademark from what I know.

The one i'm looking at is 500 USD or maybe even a tad under. It's the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 22. It has amazing rave reviews in the shooting illustrated magazine I have along with online reviews of people who own and love them.

I am a smith and wesson fan as it is, I know they are my go to for pistols of all sorts but have never owned or shot a rifle made from them.

Can anyone name a better AR style rifle for the same price range? (under 500) that is as good or better than this gun? And also does anyone have any experience with this rifle and recommend it? thanks for any help :).

31877-DEFAULT-l.jpg

You sure you want a .22LR, not a .223? Since you mentioned defense, you probably want a .223. I wouldn’t trust a .22 rimfire for defense, too many failures, and the target might be wearing a heavy coat.

As for AR-style .22s that’s a great choice if you want AR style controls, but since you don’t own an AR, not sure that matters. There are some other choices like HK 416-style or Sig 522, which I have, and of course the Ruger 10/22. All good choices. Or get a bolt action .22 like CZ 455.

Ruger is making a .22LR AR style rifle as well. Not sure what the quality is like on that, I've never shot one.

I have the M&P 15-22 and it's a lot of fun, but it's mostly just a fun plinking gun. If I was gonna go take a coyote, I'd use my Henry since the 15-22 would probably have trouble cycling .22 Quiets and I can actually load more into the Henry and cycle it almost as fast.

Back
Top Bottom