• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best big box store for o/u shotgun?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I'm getting into skeet/trap and the search is on for a shotgun.

It seems like there aren't a lot of used o/o out there, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy new. Pretty sure I know what I want (Beretta silver pigeon 12g), where should I head to first? Bass pro, cabelas, Kittery? Any tips, words of wisdom, unprovoked, merciless criticism?

Yeah go to Four Seasons. Way cheaper than other places. Call them too, their prices are usually cheaper than online.

Also - make sure you get the Beretta SP1 Sporting (if you choose the SP1 model). You don't want to have to remember to take the safety off of after you open the action every time while shooting clay sports.

Used over unders aren't very cheap and you have to know what you're looking for to find out the life of it.

Grab the matching choke for whatever sport you want to do (they come with 1 of each, but guess what you probably need 2!)

Think used, as this won't be your first gun. Trust me. I had a used Joel Etchen 687 combo and shot for a year and found a great deal on a new gun from Joel Etchen Guns, and traded my used gun back in and ended up shooting it free for a year. Great people to do business with.

Top the op, if you're thinking about a Browning go to Al's in Derry, NH. He has the biggest selection and the best prices that I've seen on them....

Make sure the gun fits you before you hand over your money. Pretty important with a shotgun.

I bought a White Onyx a few years ago and couldn't hit for beans, it didn't fit right. Got a Browning Crossover and do pretty well (for me, anyway!).

I've got friends who swear by their Berettas and don't like Brownings. It's all a matter of personal fit.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy your new clay buster.

I got into clay sports several months ago, great game. I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon from Four Seasons for $1799.00. That was cheaper than any on line price I could find. You will not regret buying one. A great gun for a fun sport.

I shoot Thursdays and Sundays at Cape Ann Sportsman Club, Gloucester.

I use my 391 AL Teknys on the trap line as well as in the field and I'm happy with the results. Kittery has a pretty good selection of both new and used shotguns. You can keep an eye open for them online and they will take it off the rack for you and hold it (up to 10 days) until you get there to see it in person. That is how I got mine.

When I bought it I did not know about some of the smaller local shotgun shops but I don't regret the gun or the price.

I'm getting into skeet/trap and the search is on for a shotgun.

It seems like there aren't a lot of used o/o out there, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy new. Pretty sure I know what I want (Beretta silver pigeon 12g), where should I head to first? Bass pro, cabelas, Kittery? Any tips, words of wisdom, unprovoked, merciless criticism?

There has always been a good selection of O/U at kittery...honestly I have not been in years but they had the "shot gun corner" with the better shotguns.
I picked up a used browning ultra trap there in 2005 for 1500$ with 12 chokes and a nice Americase fitted hard case. Great gun and I thought it was a great deal.

Personally, I wouldn't order one till you've tried it. A $400 shotgun that fit you will get you higher scores than a $2000 gun that doesn't. Been There-Done that.
The other thing to note is that skeet and trap guns are different. You can shoot either with a field gun but you'll give up birds.

Personally, I wouldn't order one till you've tried it. A $400 shotgun that fit you will get you higher scores than a $2000 gun that doesn't. Been There-Done that.
The other thing to note is that skeet and trap guns are different. You can shoot either with a field gun but you'll give up birds.

QFT.

I tell new Trap shooters (that aren't rolling in $$$): Until one bird out of 100 makes a real difference, don't worry about a dedicated Trap gun. When 1 bird out of 100 makes a real difference, you'll know what you need/want and won't need to ask everyone for advice.

I will never understand why anyone would spend thousands of dollars on a two-shot shotgun just for some informal trap/skeet. My $230 gun does just fine.

I will never understand why anyone would spend thousands of dollars on a two-shot shotgun just for some informal trap/skeet. My $230 gun does just fine.

I feel that my beater hunting guns do fine for me as well. But I shoot once....Maybe twice a week......1 or 2 rounds so 50 - 75 shells a week. If you shoot 6-8 rounds a week.......Or like some amateur shooters that do competition you mY have to shoot 4 rounds in one day. That o/u or single barrel trap gun specially designed for the range is going to be more comfortable to shoot. And will make a difference on your score at the tail end of round 4.

But correct......For informal shooting or to stay practiced for small game and bird season.....I'll use the hunting guns.

I shoot my pump action "hunting iron" and my browning auto 5 but after two rounds I'm done.

And you said $230?!?! My favorite hunting gun I spent $150 on 6 years ago. It was an unfired mossy 500 12g made in about 1991. My buddy won it in a raffle way back and never took it out of the box! That thing has pounded ducks snow shoe hare squirrel cotton tail deer and pheasant over the last 6 years. Now it looks like it's been dragged behind a truck down a dirt road! But I love that thing.......Lotsa memories in the field with that beater. That's the way it should be imo......I have way "nicer" guns in the safe but none have been used as much as that old pump.

Last edited:
I would go to kittery trading post for sure and ask about doing a new hampshire transfer to avoid the sales tax

another option is to go to bass pro shops in hookset to avoid the sales tax - open a credit card and save 10% or what ever it is.

I would go to kittery trading post for sure and ask about doing a new hampshire transfer to avoid the sales tax

another option is to go to bass pro shops in hookset to avoid the sales tax - open a credit card and save 10% or what ever it is.

If you go to Kittery, and find something, they will (or would) take it to a subsidiary, NH-based location, and sell it to you there, for the tax benefit.

I keep toying with the idea of picking up a O/U, but it's because it's a pain in the ass to clean my Maxus every Sunday evening. The gas system cycles everything I've ever tried to put through it reliably, but it's so disgustingly dirty after 3-5 rounds of shooting at clays. Though when I'm feeling especially lazy I'll pull out my pump. That reasoning, supplemented by the ease of cleaning the pump when I'm lazy, has so far not been enough to push me over the edge into purchasing one, though.

Heh I understand it as I have been there though mine was just under the $2k.

The ultimate answer is "because I want to not because I have to"

I have a Browning Citori Crossover and love it. However if someone asked me if they had to buy something like that to shoot my answer would be a double no.

A) No, I can shoot almost as well with my 870 (that I got after the o/u) so if I wouldn't hesitate to move to just that if money meant I had to ditch the money gun.

B) No, I will bring both my guns for a few weeks to the trap field and you can try them both out to be informed about what works for you.

If someone want to invest the money in a shooting sports its their choice but I agree it's not a "requirement".

And my 870 wingmaster is pretty and it only cost $260 for great 60s quality with nice wood.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep toying with the idea of picking up a O/U, but it's because it's a pain in the ass to clean my Maxus every Sunday evening. The gas system cycles everything I've ever tried to put through it reliably, but it's so disgustingly dirty after 3-5 rounds of shooting at clays. Though when I'm feeling especially lazy I'll pull out my pump. That reasoning, supplemented by the ease of cleaning the pump when I'm lazy, has so far not been enough to push me over the edge into purchasing one, though.

I have not cleaned my Mossberg in over a year! Just a wipe down when I come in from the woods......Just put it back in the safe when I come back from the trap field. No rust.......Never failed to go bang or cycle ever.

Back
Top Bottom