Best AR for Under $1,000

And I'm not saying the cheesiest Sportsman Guide AR is the best out there either. I'm just asking how a rifle with a pony on it is automatically better than one with a snake or a deer on it.

But more importantly, the best rifle in the world will do you no good unless you know how to use it properly i.e. hit what you aim at.

Agree.

The most expensive AR ( or any other gun) is not going to make anyone a better shooter, some good instructions, practice time on the range and lots of ammo will.

Men fought wars with guns that were put together using the most rudimentary tools and sometimes very inferior materials, under the poorest conditions, none of which apply to today's modern ARs.

People usually buy what they can afford and learn to use it. Many don't understand how these rifles function and are unfamiliar with troubleshooting any problem that might arise. Many are quick to condemn an entire company's product line using anecdotal information of a malfunction here or there. The greatest cause of malfunctions in the AR ( including Colts) are ammo, magazine or lubrication related or improperly built guns by inexperienced builders.....it is not faulty or out of spec parts.

I've heard the "gas key staking" issue tossed around and blamed for problems a thousand times by people who don't even know what satisfactory staking looks like, when in reality their issue is caused by other things like ammo( usually reloads) or out of spec magazines, or a gun that is dry as a bone and dirty.
In my forty years of experience with ARs, I've not seen one issue that was gas key related, it was always ammo, mag or lube.

I would get a colt 6920 for under $1k. But if you plan to SBR there are other sources online you can get lowers like an LMT for $350 complete and then add a short barrel upper of your choice.

I’m getting more and more of this mindset. Unless you need a super accurate gun with a match SS barrel, then most of the guns and parts will get the job done. Just buy what you can afford and makes you happy.
if they are sending out mil spec parts and are honest with the quality controls there really is no difference. its when they start flirting with different alloys and specs things start to change.

Friend picked up a Bear Creek Arsenal few years back for $475 complete rifle 20" flat top A2 front sight. No where does it specify it is "mil spec" hes not been kind to that rifle and its still going strong. It hits on target accurate with cheap steel ammo? Its all fun

In AR15s Aero, particularly their "Enhanced" product lines, is about as good as anyone's. Lowers are top notch with integral trigger guards and various other nice touches, uppers are top notch- hanguards are strong, light, and positively secure with 8 threaded fasteners (bolt on guards is something you only find on a few higher end companies)... bolt carrier groups very well done, m16 full auto style, excellent quality too.. even the ambi charging handle Aero makes beats raptor IMHO..

What makes the difference between Aero and say Daniel Defense (other than the name) is probably more extensive testing/qc on each rifle that goes out the door, the chf/chrome lined top notch DD barrels, and up level triggers. Aero barrels are ok, reasonably accurate and QPQ, and the triggers are simply a decent mil spec version...

With a little shopping, Aero runs you about $800 for a complete rifle in their enhanced line and they are really nice, a notch above PSA IMHO.. if you go upgrading the barrel and trigger, either by changing parts later or just building one that way, they are about as good as anything on the market.

No complaints with my 36 builds.
Maybe not you, but there may be an intervention in your future.

Very happy with my Springfield Saint with the free float barrel. Very nice trigger compared to the other budget ARs. Many choices under 1k but that's mine.

Also worth checking out SOLGW Sons of Liberty gunworks. It's literally the most popular brand on the huge AR builder FB community.
I have the Saint Pistol, it's well made, only about a 100 rounds through it so far though. No complaints at all.

I don't think you can go wrong above the $500 price point at this time. Lots of solid stuff out there. Every manufacturer is going to have duds. Even the almighty Glock and Colt can break. It's metal, guns treat metal like a red headed step child.

Maybe not you, but there may be an intervention in your future.

I have the Saint Pistol, it's well made, only about a 100 rounds through it so far though. No complaints at all.

I don't think you can go wrong above the $500 price point at this time. Lots of solid stuff out there. Every manufacturer is going to have duds. Even the almighty Glock and Colt can break. It's metal, guns treat metal like a red headed step child.

If I was going pistol I'd go Saint Edge. Little more coin than others but very nicely done & reviewed, and you can at least claim it is a full documented production version if anyone ever busts your balls calling it a stamp less SBR.

I would get a colt 6920 for under $1k. But if you plan to SBR there are other sources online you can get lowers like an LMT for $350 complete and then add a short barrel upper of your choice.
Where are you finding complete LMT lower s for 350? However to add to this if your gonna stamp it, get a Gucci ambi lower.

It’s was on AR15.COM. Scan through their for sale items. The op is not in MA anyway so getting a cheap lower is not an issue

Simply asking in 2020 what is the best out of the box AR for under $1,000. Other two threads are old and from a MA compliant perspective.
There is no difference between a MA complaint and other ARs.

The only difference might be the stock. But the lower, upper, mags, optics ... all the same...except you can get large cap plastic mags out there.

Price ... whatever was recommended for under $1K, will most likely be cheaper out there.

If I was going pistol I'd go Saint Edge. Little more coin than others but very nicely done & reviewed, and you can at least claim it is a full documented production version if anyone ever busts your balls calling it a stamp less SBR.

I have been looking at the various Saint AR pistols. The Edge would be over the 1k mark, but the the base model and Victor are both under. I am curious to see the reviews on the Edge Evac when it’s released.

Back
Top Bottom