• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Appleseed in the northeast for a weekend of camping this summer?

As I said in another post, my son and I would like to go to a shoot this summer and we would like to do this as a camping trip also. What is the best shoot for us to go to in New England or New York? There only seem to be shoots available in VT with camping in the summer.

I attended the Pelham NH shoot on Labor Day weekend, and they allowed camping on the range, there were 4 or 5 of us that set up camp. I think Buzzworth mentioned one of his range's in VT allows camping.

I attended the Pelham NH shoot on Labor Day weekend, and they allowed camping on the range, there were 4 or 5 of us that set up camp. I think Buzzworth mentioned one of his range's in VT allows camping.

Monadnock Rod & Gun (Peterborough area, NH) allows camping in the area by the pond.

Buzzworth runs the shoots at Hale Mountain in Bennington. Nice club with a covered firing line and a grassy field they've just started letting folks camp on last year.

Procter F&G a bit further north also permits camping, and there is camping on the range at Jericho for the full distance shoot(s) which are in the planning stages at this time.

The night skies are clear enough at the last two so you'll get a nice view of the Milky Way & maybe even the Aura Borealis iffi'n you're lucky. [smile]

Last edited:
I live in Pelham and attended the Patriots day shoot a couple weeks ago, really nice club but not much in the way of scenery around us. If you are making a trip out of it I would lean towards Mr.Twigg's suggestion of Monadnock. A couple days of shooting and then a nice hike up the mountain, it's a beautiful area, I think that would make a nice trip.

Live Free or Die Appleseed at Monadnock Rod & Gun Club

If you are making a trip out of it I would lean towards Mr.Twigg's suggestion of Monadnock. A couple days of shooting and then a nice hike up the mountain, it's a beautiful area, I think that would make a nice trip.

I second this suggestion. The next Monadnock shoot will be listed as "Peterborough, NH," and will be Thursday and Friday, August 26 and 27, 2010. (Our shoots at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club (MRGC) are listed as being in Peterborough, NH, because that's what town the club is in.)

This shoot is designed to run in parallel with the annual Live Free or Die rally in Jaffrey, NH. The rally camping and other festivities are within a mile of the shoot.

The Appleseed link to preregister for the Peterborough shoot will be listed soon. The link for the 2010 Live Free or Die is: http://livefreeordierally.com/

I'll come right and say Jericho would be the best one. 400 yard shooting, very pretty range. Might even sneak in a 600 yard volley. I would recommend going to a regular one first, so you have one under your belt, and get the most out of the Full Distance at Jericho.

And, if you don't have a centerfire for Jericho, I may be able to come up with something to borrow. Just have to buy your own ammo, and that will be fairly easy to source out. Just might not get many choices of what you use, though. An AR for the son could be made available. If it's not spoken for, he could use mine (an Anvil Arms/NES I built) . It's a 16" barrel with a collapsable stock. It's wearing a MATECH BUIS right now, and last year it was used at Jericho with an ACOG. The guy that used it is in Afghanistan right now, carries an M4 with an ACOG there. He's currently working with a NH Guard unit (Infantry) there, though he's a maintenance guy.

I don't think they're firm yet, but if it is going to happen it's going to be on those dates.

I camped at Proctor last year. There's no facilities obviously but they have a nice open grassy area there. I would highly recommend that shoot even if it's a bit of a ride for you.

I'm going to give a +1 for Jericho VT. Last year was AWESOME. Definitely going again this year.

I second this suggestion. The next Monadnock shoot will be listed as "Peterborough, NH," and will be Thursday and Friday, August 26 and 27, 2010. (Our shoots at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club (MRGC) are listed as being in Peterborough, NH, because that's what town the club is in.)

This shoot is designed to run in parallel with the annual Live Free or Die rally in Jaffrey, NH. The rally camping and other festivities are within a mile of the shoot.

The Appleseed link to preregister for the Peterborough shoot will be listed soon. The link for the 2010 Live Free or Die is: http://livefreeordierally.com/

I just want to pile-on to what MrTwigg and firewall99 have said, that we at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club welcome campers. The next RWVA Appleseed occurs on a Thursday and Friday, and those days will allow unfettered camping in our lower area by-the-pond, or since the Appleseed requires full-use of the Range, you may camp up there anywhere behind the firing line.

So, suttonwood, if you're looking for a free camping spot (primitive, but electricity and lighting is available under the nearby pavilion), then consider MRGCI in August. And the 5th ANNUAL LFOD event is nearby.

follow the links below for more info:

August 26th & 27th (that's Thursday and Friday)
at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club
RWVA Appleseed Project
Beginners to Experts ...learn to become a rifleman

This is an extension of the 5th Annual Live Free or Die Rally held in Jaffrey/Peterborough, NH

info
register

Back
Top Bottom