Best ammo for Walther PPK .380?

I recently bought a Walther PPK . 380. It was manufactured in 1987, 7 rounds were put through it, and then it went into a closet and stayed there until the owner sold it to me recently. It came well lubed and with the factory grouping target.

I went to the range and discovered it does not like the ammo I used. It hates reloads -- jams on every third round. A little better with PMC and Remmington, although that ammo jams about once in every six rounds.

Does anyone have a recommendation for ammo? I have read other accounts of the same problem but there are few recommendations. Thanks.

+seconded, on the Winchester White Box. (if your lucky enough to find some)

If you are using the Walther for CCW, and plan on using carry loads(i.e.hollow pts.)make sure you test a box of them down the pipe,prior to CC.
The PPK can be finicky with some ammo especially re-loads,it could also be subject to a recall,you might check its serial number with Interarms .

my suggestion is to get as many friends w/380 together and trade ammo until you find something the ppk likes to eat. WWB might work. Blasers might work. Keep going until you find something..OOOORRR.. take it to somebody like LaRocca to have the gun gone through so it will be able to feed everything. Probably a cheaper proposition given the price and scarcity of 380 lately.
All of the interarms PPKs were fussy, but can be made into very nice pieces. If this is to be a carry gun a visit to the doctor is money well spent.

All of the interarms PPKs were fussy, but can be made into very nice pieces.

I've had my stainless Interarms PPK/s since '02. I've never had any kind of feeding problems with it with any ammo. (I bought it used so it might have been worked on before I got it.) A few years back it started to have troubles staying cocked after each shot, but I fixed that with a new trigger bar.

Its been said by many that if you carry a .380 for SD, you should carry FMJ because the .380 round doesn't have enough power to reliably expand a hollowpoint round. Theory being you'll get much better penetration with a solid round.

I would say a good cleaning and lubing after than long of a time would be beneficial, Oil will dry up over time and may be binding up your pistol. I would also carry regular round nose FMJ ammo, 380 is not a good penetrator.

The hottest ball ammo you can find. JHPs in .380 are pretty much worthless, so don't even bother. (They don't go fast enough to actually expand, so you're just wasting cash. )

-Mike

I use Sellier & Bellot (S&B) .380 FMJ in my PPK/S. It's accurate and reasonably priced, at least it used to be. I haven't had to buy ammunition in quite some time. I also keep it well lubed using Brownells Friction Defense gun oil. It's a moly-teflone synthetic. It only takes a couple of drops to do the whole pistol. PPK's can be really picky, I don't know exactly what you mean by "jamming" but a few common problems are that your limp wristing, you may need the feed ramps and chamber polished or the mags or gone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom