Best accessories for AR? Sling, optics, case?

Just got a Stag 16". I sort of knew that the basic AR was only the beginning of spending $$ but am amazed by the variety and cost of accessories. I'm not trying to get Hollywood or tacticool but reckon that a few add-ons are needed to make this rifle truly usable. My currently intended purposes are targets and SHTF (hopefully not needed).

What's the best sling? I saw a deal for Viking VTAC 2-point slings at $30 - they look pretty nice but I know nothing about the different slings available.

What the best deal on a carry bag - not the Chinese junk on fleabay but a quality, well-padded bag with plenty of mag/general storage?

Optics are very confusing. I'd like some magnification for target shooting but don't want it to be useless under 50 yards either. If cost were no object I'd buy a Meostar or Accupoint but cost is an object for now. I saw a nice deal on a Weaver 2.5-10x56 but don't know if that's too big to fit on the receiver rail without buying an expensive cantilever mount or an expensive extended rail/handguard. Is that too much scope for the accuracy potential of my rifle? Would I be just as well off, or better even, with a 1.5-4.5x24 scope?

The other key factor is I'd like Made-in-America and will not buy anything made in China.

Thanks.

The V-Tac sling is a good product, and allows good control of the rifle when not in your hands, as in multigun competition.
A low power variable scope is a good choice. Look at Weaver (1-3X) Burris (1-4X) Millet (1-4X) They have different reticles and features. The Weaver is the least expensive, but a quality scope.
Cases.....American Made.....Bagmaster fills that description.

I think for optics, it's hard to beat this:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10714-1395-millett-1-4x24-dms-tactical-30mm-riflescope.aspx

Great reviews, great optics and the best of both worlds - red dot/magnified optic and it won;t break the bank.

VTAC slings are awesome - industry standard, but you reall should look at Troy's offering as well:

http://store.troyind.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SSLI-1PS-00GT-00

Troy stuff is just plain over-built...

As for carry bags, I use a shotgun carry case, (for an over-under)...Works like a charm...

Thanks. I've read that Millett is made in China, so that's ineligible. I am boycotting Chinese goods to the greatest extent possible - it isn't easy. But I won't allow my $$ to support a country that is waging an undeclared war against the US.

I saw the VTAC slings here in the Classifieds section for $30 shipped. I think I'll order one of those.

On fleabay they have these Voodoo cases for around $70, supposedly hold 2 rifles plus accessories. But I don't know how good they are. The 5.11 double rifle case looks great but is $160 - can I do better?

Last edited:
Don't forget the preban 30 round mags. If you can find them. Also you will want to start searching out ammo. Once you have a good amount of mags and ammo you will want to have a way to carry it (shtf). Then a good carbine course, etc., etc.. It never ends.

Two biggest accessories would be mags and ammo at the moment. Things are getting more expensive for both, and practice would make you better than a ton of money on optics.

A good sling to me is more important than the other stuff. Nice case would be great for transport too. Plenty of padded canvas bags with mag pockets or a hard case are to be found.

Thanks, guys. Got the VTAC sling and found some cartridges (hard to find and not cheap), and am ordering the Voodoo double bag from the NRA store (nice to be able to support them too). Having done that, the optic will be a later addition - budget is not unlimited.

Back
Top Bottom