• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best 80% lower you can buy

greencobra

NES Member
Anyone have ideas on this. Don't want a 30 dollar hunk of crap, there's a reason they're 30 bucks. I'm thinking cast, not billet. Any thoughts on this or am I going to waste money for nothing.

Most are forged aluminum, the unique looking ones are billet.
If looking at forged, most are identical no matter the name. (there aren't many forging facilities making them).
Stay away from plastic & you should be ok.

Of the ones I've handled, pretty much the same.

Some are a little more complete those in having everything other than trigger pocket done and just requiring that milled out.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ares are nice. I like the billet ones mainly because I like the integral trigger guard. TR Enabling also makes very nice lowers, and they have the added bonus of set screws on the bolt catch and takedown pin detent.

Ares mills the takedown pocket for you, TR doesn't.

This is by far the best lower you can buy. Not sure if Johnny still has any available but i'd give it a shot.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/239876-Precision-Point-Firearms-Billet-Lowers!

Nice lower, but NOT an 80% lower like the OP wants...

Look at the billet ones offered by Ares (7075 aluminum), or one of the QD models. I prefer billet since they have integrated [larger] trigger guards. IMO, it's more a matter of looks if you go forged or billet at this point. Just make sure you don't buy any from a guy named Wayne, that has a place in Maine... [wink]

Nice lower, but NOT an 80% lower like the OP wants...

Look at the billet ones offered by Ares (7075 aluminum), or one of the QD models. I prefer billet since they have integrated [larger] trigger guards. IMO, it's more a matter of looks if you go forged or billet at this point. Just make sure you don't buy any from a guy named Wayne, that has a place in Maine... [wink]

Damn, my bad. I like Ares Armor for 80%. I picked a few of theirs and the signature III model one is beautiful.

Anyone have ideas on this. Don't want a 30 dollar hunk of crap, there's a reason they're 30 bucks. I'm thinking cast, not billet. Any thoughts on this or am I going to waste money for nothing.

Nobody has offered a cast lower for sale, for years.
The reason they are so cheap right now is because during the post sandy hook demand everybody who made them added more CNC machines and started cranking them out 24/7.

Now that, that has passed and the pipeline is full, they still need to keep those machines busy somehow.

Casting means it has the ability to crack, it is not able to stand up to rough treatment, but as a range gun, which is most of the Ar's, it will work. As said I don't know of any casting lowers made today.

is there some advantage to casting vs billet or forging?

Just research the manufacturing techniques themselves, forgetting the actual application itself.

Casting will always be the red headed step child of those 3 processes (whether talking ARs or widgets) A casting will never be as strong as the other two methods. But it is cheaper and faster to mfg

Just research the manufacturing techniques themselves, forgetting the actual application itself.

Casting will always be the red headed step child of those 3 processes (whether talking ARs or widgets) A casting will never be as strong as the other two methods. But it is cheaper and faster to mfg

Throughout the manufacturing world, It is possible for a quality casting to be stronger than a lousy forging.

When it comes to AR lowers, I don't think that was ever the case.

...It is possible for a quality casting to be stronger than a lousy forging...

Of course. But We are talking about comparing mfg methods here all else being equal. If the mfg in question has any decent CQ in place, that lousy forging never leaves the factory.

Back
Top Bottom