• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22LR for pistol on predator

I have a bunch of it, Target Sports has had it in stock a few times, never lasts long though.
I'm quickly seeing they have the best prices and selection. I don't know if I'd swing for the Tier 1 (formerly Prime) but it is definitely a good option.

Testing on Punch is out there, though the testing may not be 1:1 for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure it's "better" than Velocitor for what the OP wants. Velocitor got 13-15" average depth in gel from 2-4" barrels in the LuckyGunner tests, and that's a 40gr projectile. The Punch, a 29gr projectile, got 15-18" average depth in gel from 2-4" barrels in the TFB test. Most would call that overpenetration. Neither showed any expansion (so HP vs FP is a nonissue). If I were shooting a varmint and might hit bone, I'd want the heavier bullet. But the Punch does seem to do what Federal claims. YMMV.

Target Sports has it in stock - so does Larry, who also has free shipping on orders over $49

500 rounds with shipping and tax for just under $100.

Last edited:
I don't need 15-18" penetration. A coyote isn't that wide, unless you are hitting him from the front, which I guess could be 50/50 likely. No?

You also don't want the bullet to "splash", meaning expand rapidly upon hitting, and have little penetration.

Maybe just a regular HP lead bullet at the fastest speed you can get would be the best bet. Anyone?

Edited the first post to include the new info/cartridges, and alphabetized them.

Last edited:
Testing on Punch is out there, though the testing may not be 1:1 for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure it's "better" than Velocitor for what the OP wants. Velocitor got 13-15" average depth in gel from 2-4" barrels in the LuckyGunner tests, and that's a 40gr projectile. The Punch, a 29gr projectile, got 15-18" average depth in gel from 2-4" barrels in the TFB test. Most would call that overpenetration. Neither showed any expansion (so HP vs FP is a nonissue). If I were shooting a varmint and might hit bone, I'd want the heavier bullet. But the Punch does seem to do what Federal claims. YMMV.
the advantage of the federal punch is tighter quality control and more reliable ignition. It's always gonna go bang, shich is absolutely not true for any other standard rimfire ammo, including the more premium CCI offerings.

I don't need 15-18" penetration. A coyote isn't that wide, unless you are hitting him from the front, which I guess could be 50/50 likely. No?
coyote's are very light skinned and pretty fragile, I've killed a few of them with various types of .22lr and they pretty much always dropped or didn't go very far with a decently placed shot. I smoked one once walking towards me in a corn field right through the sternum with a 140gr nosler ballistic tip out of a .280 remington at pretty close range, the bullet didn't start expanding until half way through its body, but once it did, the back half of the coyote literally exploded into a mist of body parts.

Coyote's are also cowardly and oppurtunistic predators. They generally turn tail and run at the first sign of getting hurt by their potential prey, and they will probably not keep pursuing you after one of them has been shot.

They are the complete opposite of a grizzly bear that will spend every last dying breath trying to get revenge and kill you lol

My choice would be the federal punch because I can be reasonably sure it's going to go bang and it offers enough penetration out of a short barrel to reach vitals from pretty much any angle. It can also be used on a larger, more aggressive, domestic dog or a two legged threat if required. I would not carry a hollow point or segmented hollow point. Last thing you want is for the round to splash on a rib and do nothing but piss it off. Those types of lightweight hollowpoint rounds, and segmented hollowpoints, are best kept for pest control or small game.

Last edited:
Looks a bit like the Single Six, only in poop color.
I have a 50th Anniversary Single-Six convertible with a .22wmr cylinder. I don't shoot that one at all maybe 12 rounds?
I got the wrangler to use as an "eats everything .22" wheelgun for the ammo I buy that some of my semi-auto .22s choke on.
It is a great way of using up that stuff that just ain't got the "umpff" (boltguns are also a good for using up crap .22lr ammo as plinking fodder.)
1668486001184.png

I like the Wrangler so much, I bought 2 more for use as entry-level trainers. I have 2 silver (my favorite color in this gun) and 1 black (nice too)

If you get the chance... try one.

Last edited:
Federal Punch, designed for humans it'll work on coyotes and the priming is supposed to be super reliable, not like bulk .22lr.
I like this in my LCP II .22
Pretty tight groupings and feels a little zippier.
Got a case and a half from TSUSA last year.

Last edited:
I have a 50th Anniversary Single-Six convertible with a .22wmr cylinder. I don't shoot that one at all maybe 12 rounds?
I got the wrangler to use as an "eats everything .22" wheelgun for the ammo I buy that some of my semi-auto .22s choke on.
It is a great way of using up that stuff that just ain't got the "umpff" (boltguns are also a good for using up crap .22lr ammo as plinking fodder.)
View attachment 686381

I like the Wrangler so much, I bought 2 more for use as entry-level trainers. I have 2 silver (my favorite color in this gun) and 1 black (nice too)

If you get the chance... try one.
Not my lady, but get that baby a leather holster. Luv my '67 model with 'brass' trigger guard. [thumbsup]
Excellent fundamental beginner wheel gun.
1668486693440.png

I did get a leather holster for the Single-Six and it also fits the Wrangler... which has been in it lately.
The one I got is more reddish and not chocolate brown like the one below.
1668487010930.png

the advantage of the federal punch is tighter quality control and more reliable ignition. It's always gonna go bang, shich is absolutely not true for any other standard rimfire ammo, including the more premium CCI offerings.
Yeah, they do say that, though I've never had a single failure of any kind with Velocitor. Same company making both, ultimately. Would love to see round vs. round testing on actual meat with bones.

Federal and CCI are the same company? I did not know that.
Yep, parent is ATK and between them, along with Speer, you'll see a lot of product overlap. Most products are still made at separate locations, but the product component/design overlap is increasing.

Updated first post with speed on Winchester Hyper. Oddly enough, they mention it for target, training, and plinking, but not for hunting. I kind of thought all .22LR is close enough to be pretty much all of those.

I wish they would do a subsonic .22 Magnum.

Just put an oversized bullet on a shorter case like they do with the .22 suppressed; to get some more mass downrange, but still at "neighborhood quiet" noise levels.

Imagine this, but on maybe a .22LR length case, to fit a .22 Mag:

View attachment 680053

That, or figure out a way to do a subsonic .22 Hornet or a subsonic .223 (over-mass bullet, with fast burning light powder load).

Maybe that would be a good idea for a new cartridge. Call it the ".22 Neighborhood". Have it based on the parent case that is the .17 WSM, but with an oversized .22 bullet, and again, light charge of fast burning powder.
These are super fun at 100 yds from my 24" bbl savage /anschutz on steel silhouettes. Lobbs them in with a long delay hearing the ping well after pulling the trigger. In .22 mag could be interesting.

OK, you are carrying a .22LR pistol or revolver, 3 inches or shorter barrel.

What ammunition would you want it to have, if you had to shoot a coyote? Let's say 25 yards or less. This is not a hunting thing, so hunting setups with rifles/shotguns is not relevant here. Basically, this is "personal protection" while walking.

Thinking penetration is as important as expansion here. Figure you can put at least 2 rounds into it.

Of COURSE, something bigger would likely be better, at least for stopping power, not so sure on accuracy, but that isn't the question here right now.

Here's some choices:

Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity 1,700 fps 30 grain COPPER PLATED SOLID POINT

CCI Velocitor Gold Dot HP 1435 fps Excellent weight retention Impressive downrange energy Deep penetration 200 fps faster than Long Rifle High Velocity

CCI Stinger 1640 fps 32 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point everything from casual plinking up to small game hunting

CCI Segmented Hollow Point 1640 fps 32 Grain For varmints, death comes in threes. Our Segmented Hollow-Point breaks into three parts on impact. Each one acts like its own projectile and creates a distinct wound channel to bring your target down hard. Impressive terminal effect Bullet breaks into three parts on impact Each segment creates its own wound channel

Federal Punch 1070 fps 29 grains Nickle Plated Lead Core FLat Nose Bullet

Remington Yellow Jacket 1500 FPS 33 grain Truncated Cone Hollow Point

Remington Viper Hyper Velocity 1410 fps 36 Grain Plated Truncated Cone solid bullet design delivers the highest penetration truncated cone bullet design is preferred by a lot of small game hunters and trappers because of its effectiveness in harvesting game without causing unnecessary damage

Winchester Hyper Speed 1435 fps 183 ft. lbs 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point extreme velocities and consistent accuracy 40 grain plated hollow point bullet produces excellent penetration on small game and pests

Now, take the same ammo above, and put it in a rifle. What would you choose to shoot a coyote if that gun was your only choice?

some related articles:

Personally I would rather carry a RUGER MKIV LITE,

10 Rounds, Better Trigger, Very Accurate, Not Heavy and Shoots almost ALL 22lr ammo well.

If you are planning on maybe shooting an aggressive coyote with a .22 rimfire, I'd suggest making sure you had your running shoes on.
Why? If a 45lb aggressive coyote charged me I would smash that little dog into pieces. There is no way I am running. And why would you? You are not going to out run it.
People freak out because it has teeth. Big deal. I am 250 lbs and a couple of solid punches would break ribs, smash bones.
Yeah, I might need a bandaid, but that yote is dead.

I'm old and not too big, and a woman at that. I'm not running either. I plan to empty my gun into the MFer (aiming for head and chest). The idea of something hurting my dog pisses me off :-(

Last edited:
Why? If a 45lb aggressive coyote charged me I would smash that little dog into pieces. There is no way I am running. And why would you? You are not going to out run it.
People freak out because it has teeth. Big deal. I am 250 lbs and a couple of solid punches would break ribs, smash bones.
I weight about as much, and I resemble a well fed gorilla. I and carry a Glock 17 for a backup weapon. I have no problem concealing it. Just a throught.

Yeah, I might need a bandaid, but that yote is

I won't need need any 22 ammo. If I'm woods walking I'll just go with fencer. Crazy freaking Marine. One look at at him and coyoties will just run away. Besides, his back up gun is a 6" model 29

Multiple packs were out last night, calling to one another. A big coyote ran up and down our street.
I know they are still here, but definitely not in the numbers you were seeing last fall. In years past I'd see them cutting through the yard or get multiple pics on the game cam in my woods. Plus we'd year them calling every night. Been kinda quiet lately. Makes me wonder why- something bigger? More bears = less coyotes?

OK, you are carrying a .22LR pistol or revolver, 3 inches or shorter barrel.

What ammunition would you want it to have, if you had to shoot a coyote? Let's say 25 yards or less. This is not a hunting thing, so hunting setups with rifles/shotguns is not relevant here. Basically, this is "personal protection" while walking.

Thinking penetration is as important as expansion here. Figure you can put at least 2 rounds into it.

Of COURSE, something bigger would likely be better, at least for stopping power, not so sure on accuracy, but that isn't the question here right now.

Here's some choices:

Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity 1,700 fps 30 grain COPPER PLATED SOLID POINT

CCI Velocitor Gold Dot HP 1435 fps Excellent weight retention Impressive downrange energy Deep penetration 200 fps faster than Long Rifle High Velocity

CCI Stinger 1640 fps 32 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point everything from casual plinking up to small game hunting

CCI Segmented Hollow Point 1640 fps 32 Grain For varmints, death comes in threes. Our Segmented Hollow-Point breaks into three parts on impact. Each one acts like its own projectile and creates a distinct wound channel to bring your target down hard. Impressive terminal effect Bullet breaks into three parts on impact Each segment creates its own wound channel

Federal Punch 1070 fps 29 grains Nickle Plated Lead Core FLat Nose Bullet

Remington Yellow Jacket 1500 FPS 33 grain Truncated Cone Hollow Point

Remington Viper Hyper Velocity 1410 fps 36 Grain Plated Truncated Cone solid bullet design delivers the highest penetration truncated cone bullet design is preferred by a lot of small game hunters and trappers because of its effectiveness in harvesting game without causing unnecessary damage

Winchester Hyper Speed 1435 fps 183 ft. lbs 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point extreme velocities and consistent accuracy 40 grain plated hollow point bullet produces excellent penetration on small game and pests

Now, take the same ammo above, and put it in a rifle. What would you choose to shoot a coyote if that gun was your only choice?

some related articles:
I don't even need to look at those threads. For me, it would be CCI Stingers...

That said, a male, mature Coyote weighs about 35 pounds on average. I've encountered them out in the woods plenty of times during hunting seasons. I've had them yelping around me while I field dress an animal. I have never had one that wasn't deathly afraid of humans and run as fast as it could in the opposite direction when it set eyes on me.

If I need to go back to the truck to get a cart or whatever and leave an animal in the woods, I hang my hat on a branch above it. The scent keeps the yotes away from the fresh kill. I have never seen them do anything other than run away from human activity.

Every year archery hunters hit the woods and thousands upon thousands of deer die. Everyone is field dressed in prime coyote habitat, hunters are dragging our fresh kills. Maybe it's happened, but I have NEVER heard about a coyote ever attacking a hunter... and if there was ever a time to attack a human... On your home ground, carrying a fresh kill, and often dragging out the carcass after dark... But it doesn't happen.... BTW - bowhunters in MA can not carry a firearm.

I would be more concerned about 2 legged predators than 4. And for that, you're going to need more gun than a 22.

Last edited:
I won't need need any 22 ammo. If I'm woods walking I'll just go with fencer. Crazy freaking Marine. One look at at him and coyoties will just run away. Besides, his back up gun is a 6" model 29
LOL. I don't know about crazy, but my running days are over. At least any hope of getting away from a yote. At some point all of us old Marines rely heavily on "Stand your Ground" as our primary tactic. Not because it's the smartest thing to do, because it's our only option.
At that point, aggression and ferocity are your best bet.
OK - being a little crazy doesn't hurt.

I love these internet arguments about how meaningless .22LR is. I dont think Wile E. Coyote has ACME youtube yet, and is up to date on the most recent Lucky Gunner ballistic gel video.

If that's what you're carrying, and you can put even a few standard rounds of it into a menacing coyote out of a revolver... Between the noise, the impact, the shock, and the bullets I'm thinking you've got a pretty good chance of having solved your problem.

coyote's are very light skinned and pretty fragile
Not sure of the light skinned, but definitely not fragile. That said, 3-4 .22LR's at close range, into head and body should slow it right down, if not stop it completely.

Have not had many around the past year or so. I think everyone picked them off last year. Lots of bunnies, though. My neighbor has his freezer full.

Back
Top Bottom