• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22LR bolt action bang for the buck? CZ, Savage, Ruger?

How well versed are your kids in using MOA? What ammo are you using?
What are you using for velocity and BC?
Hieght of scope?
Your going to need between 7-12 moa to get to 100 yards depending on ammo/velocity and such.
thats either your 3rd/lower hold point or the bottom post..... Roughly thats on 1050-1100 fps
and my average scope hieght.
Your should run few rounds over a crony helps to figure stuff out on those calculators better
Most scopes the reticle substenion is calculated at Highest magnification. 12x in your case. Pulled this off the website
i wish vortex calculator included their scope info and reticle , Hawke scopes had a great app juzt for that and you could print out cheat sheets that fit in your lens caps or hang from the sling swivel
View attachment 455783
Just a small update - I had a chance to play with my cz at 100yds and a 1050fps .22lr drops exactly at 11moa - at top of the bottom post. It was a Norma ammo, I will try aguila se next time. Groups were quite nice, around moa in average, as expected.
I like it a lot. That 4-12x scope works perfect with it, a good match.

Just a small update - I had a chance to play with my cz at 100yds and a 1050fps .22lr drops exactly at 11moa - at top of the bottom post. It was a Norma ammo, I will try aguila se next time. Groups were quite nice, around moa in average, as expected.
I like it a lot. That 4-12x scope works perfect with it, a good match.
had my 79 year old 513t out. Mounted a Signtron SIII 8x32x56 and tried some new production wolf match extra.
Love that big scope. i can put the .25 moa center aiming dot right on a 22 hole.
I have not been shooting much and between the newly installed scope, un known ammo i was keeping them under 2moa with a few moa groups ruined by a flyer.

Little off topic
Heres a 79 year old crown. I bought this from a old timer who retired it in the mid 70s when he went off to college , he logged 75,000 rounds through it before becoming a practice/back up for him. It was already 30 years old then. He bought it at perry in the 60s . I hope todays rifles will last this long.

not great but not bad seeing its 79 years old and could have been a abused club
gun.
3069C32C-D061-41A4-BD39-C9EBD6172DAF.jpeg
I decided to mount the SIII 8x32 make note that this scope only focus down to 40 yards , so not ideal for 22lr Sighteon does make scopes that focus down closer
That said , mounted it rough bore sight and some new production Wolf Match extra. You can see especially in the 5 shot groups the some what consistent pattern that its most likely me keeping me out of MOA groups! Anyway been a few years since I played with this rifle. Match sights are going back on 9E0B52BA-A9F0-4E40-A728-D2BBA0F9D497.jpeg group in lower rings was as quick as I could cycle and line up

Last edited:
yeah, from that perspective to have a proper chassis like xlr element 3 would make sense, but, it is a $450 for a chassis alone. and from that perspective a $500 ruger precision starts making a bit more sense, as it would be coming fully adjustable 'as is'
but i do not see much in stock nowhere. plus it probably falls into an awb category here in ma, and a 15rd mag.

It is a bolt action why would it fall into AWB category. However since it is MA they cannot sell it to you with a 15 round mag, so you either will have to buy the 10 round mag version or have the dealer sell you the 15 round mag version without the magazine and buy 10 round mags for it.

I have Ruger Precision Rifle in 17 HMR and love it. Haven't shot it beyond 50 yards so far though but at 50 yards it is incredible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom