• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 223 seating die for 77gr SMKs?

xtry51

NES Member
I've been reloading everything with regular dies, but am looking to get a competition seating die for 77gr 223 SMKs. What says the brain trust on brand/model #?

Same here but check to make sure you have the correct bushing for the SMKs. I had a issue, when I first bought it years ago, with scoring of the bullet. Once I got the right bushing, it has been exact every time.

Edit: I tried to find my notes but I could not. I found out there were different bushing types when I contacted reading support which was great.

Edit 2: It was not a bushing. It was the Competition Seating Die VLD Stem. "The SMKs have a shallower ogive angle and may actually bottom out in the standard seat plug. The Redding VLD Seat plugs have a proper internal contact angle and generally a smaller diameter to engage a VLD bullet in a more effective position for proper seating."

Last edited:
See edit 2 above. It was not a bushing issue. They have a different seating stem for VLD bullets.

Attachments

• Redding_Competition_Bullet_Seater_Stems__Parts.pdf
    219.4 KB · Views: 3
I'll second slipknot suggestion. I use LE Wilson seating dies for my most accurate loads. Not sure I'm a good enough shooter to always know the difference, but I can confirm that using it decreased the variation in overall COAL. Less scientific, I notice much less cooper shavings under the setup suggesting the bullet is seating straighter than any of the comp dies I had ever used.

FWIW I have both the Forster and Redding Comp Seating dies and really can’t tell a difference between either one in regards to performance …

The tool is MISSING from this discussion is the ol’ Stoney Point, now Hornady, overall length tool so you can gauge exactly where each throat of any/all of your rifles are and how far off the lands your bullets may be.

I'm only loading mag length ammo, so checking OAL isn't important to me. I just load everything to 2.250 as I've found all my rifles shoot better groups regardless of bullet weight with short jumps. I don't own any bolt guns in 223 so seating longer than mag isn't needed. I realize there is a limit to accuracy based on mag fed, I'm fine with that compromise.

Lol. Yeah, I just never pursued it further previously because I could hit things in training courses just fine. Like I went to Ridgeline and I was in the top of my group for hits and times.

But now I've been watching WAYYYY too much Erik Cortina content and I'm thinking about getting a 6.5 for longer distances next year. I know if I do that I'll need to shoot more 223 for practice to keep cost down and also make my overall process for rifle precision better regardless of caliber to create consistency.

This is what my regular die does to the SMKs. Makes a halo. Even with this I can hit targets fine at 600. I just know it's definitely the limiting factor in what I'm doing.
View attachment 527761
Are you running a compressed load? Are you crimping, Do you have different searing stems. You can modify seating stems with JB weld

Are you running a compressed load? Are you crimping, Do you have different searing stems. You can modify seating stems with JB weld

Yes compressed. 24.5gr Varget. Star brass. CCI400s

I do not have any other stems. I'd rather buy a nice die than make something or modify a current one.

I don't check neck tension. I am not anneaing either.

Yes compressed. 24.5gr Varget. Star brass. CCI400s

I do not have any other stems. I'd rather buy a nice die than make something or modify a current one.

I don't check neck tension. I am not anneaing either.
Poke around for different stems a new die may not have “correct” stem. I wonder if the ELD and tipped bullet profile seating stems will work. I needed a different seating stem for the hornady tipped 224s
I run nosler 77s and dont have any problems even with compressed loads…. Although Im running just shy of compression for my most accurate mag length load.
Im running a factory lee die for bulk loading and Hornady For every thing else. I cant remember what stem is in the hornady die now? It might be the modified one for tipped?

a call to the manufacture you choose for the “comp” or “mic” die and they might know the best seating stem for that bullet

Yeah I only get halo on the 77gr SMKs. I haven't loaded a huge variety of bullets, but 52/55/62/64 grain bullets I've never had a problem with. I'm sure some of it is the powder crunch, but clearly other dies don't do what my Lee is.

At this point I'm committed to buying a die with a micrometer style adjustment knob to make setup easier/faster. Still seems like Redding is going to be the winner

Yeah I only get halo on the 77gr SMKs. I haven't loaded a huge variety of bullets, but 52/55/62/64 grain bullets I've never had a problem with. I'm sure some of it is the powder crunch, but clearly other dies don't do what my Lee is.

At this point I'm committed to buying a die with a micrometer style adjustment knob to make setup easier/faster. Still seems like Redding is going to be the winner
Call reading and ask about the seating stem it may still sit poorly on the ogive?

Hi, i am stuck with the same eact topic, but for the 6.5Creedmoor.
could anybody explain what is the actual deal with those sets? I want to get a set for xl 750 dillon, essentially, and as dillon dies are out of stock everywhere - i see those kits:
'deluxe' -$96
'premium' - $137
'national match' - $205

i can see how premium model differs from deluxe - what is the diff to 'match' there? they look identical, feature wise? or is micrometer better on the $200 set?
hmm. and there is one more -$236:

PS. well, i ordered a set of premium in .223 and a national match for 6.5CM. will see what the heck it will be. a journey begins. :)

Last edited:
This is what my regular die does to the SMKs. Makes a halo. Even with this I can hit targets fine at 600. I just know it's definitely the limiting factor in what I'm doing.
View attachment 527761
i ranted about my struggle with the redding 6.5 competition die - but for the .223 i had same rings left by the RCBS seater.
the cheaper redding die i use for .223 is similar to competition - it comes in a 'premium' set, i cannot see it to be sold alone -
that seater leaves no rings and no marks at all.
it was painted inside, so to make it fit better i polished it in a same hack way with a polish on the bullet and spinning the round in the drill. results seem to look pretty good, bullet fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom