• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22 pistol ???

what do you guys this is the best .22 pistool for target ?
I just got my LTC/A a month ago and have a M&P .40 but man ammo is costs are starting to pile up so I thought I would look into getting a .22 for the rage
lets hear it !

For target use, definitely Ruger MkII or MkIII. Plenty of aftermarket parts, very accurate out of the box, includes scope mount, relatively inexpensive, reliable with wide variety of ammo.

For use more as a trainer for a defensive pistol, it may be worth looking at the P22 and Mosquito, but I have little experience with them. I'm really hoping someone makes a 22 conversion slide for the M&P sometime soon.

I liked the S&W 22A with 7" barrel. It's kind of big and heavy, but very well suited for target shooting.

For target use, definitely Ruger MkII or MkIII. Plenty of aftermarket parts, very accurate out of the box, includes scope mount, relatively inexpensive, reliable with wide variety of ammo.

For use more as a trainer for a defensive pistol, it may be worth looking at the P22 and Mosquito, but I have little experience with them. I'm really hoping someone makes a 22 conversion slide for the M&P sometime soon.

+1 on the Ruger MK II, for a revolver a S&W 617 10 rounder, both for target. For entertainment a S&W 422 or Colt Huntsman (a close second for target too).

It sounds like you're asking for the best auto for target shooting. If that's your question,my vote is for the S&W model 41. I have an older one as well as 17 and 617 revolvers and like them all. If it's for practice buy an auto that you can get a .22 conversion kit for.

Best bang for the buck Ruger MKII or III - high master scores are shot every week with these in our league. Great range guns, hunters and all around plinkers and can be slicked up to excellent bullseye guns as well.

My personal target pistol - Pardini Nygord Master (SP) -

When I was selecting a target gun I narrowed it down to the S&W 41 or the Pardini. At the time the 41 went for about $800 and the Pardini $1050 (now nearly $2000). The final decision point was that the Pardini was all set up for bullseye by Don Nygord (target grip, red dot) - and to add those to the 41 would have cost ~ $300 - so the cost was almost exactly the same

I brought my 22A out Sat. and let the guys shoot it. It had a problem in the beginning(I screwed up assy last cleaning) after that it shot great.So, I would buy another,it was around 200 bucks NIB .I know what you mean about the 40cal being pricey to shoot.

what do you guys this is the best .22 pistool for target ?
I just got my LTC/A a month ago and have a M&P .40 but man ammo is costs are starting to pile up so I thought I would look into getting a .22 for the rage
lets hear it !

I had the same thing with .45 ammo...so I also went and bought a .22, picked up a ruger mk iii last Friday. Bought some ammo tonight, got 200 for the same price as 50 rounds of .45. Now we're rocking!

I, personally, picked the mark III for a few reasons. It is fairly low in price. Aside from the "lawyer features" and difficulty of assembly, it gets rave reviews. Most accounts say it is less picky than other entry .22s when it comes to ammo. There are a ton of add on features out there, so the gun can grow with me as I become a better shooter, and if I branch out into bullseye shooting or the like. I've also shot MkIIIs and a MkII, and liked them.

I opted against the Walther P22 because of its small size (I haven't held one, but it looks a little tiny), and it's finicky reputation.

I considered an S&W 617, but the cost was prohibitive. I enjoyed shooting them at the GOAL class I took.

I didn't look at the S&W 22A or 41, just never got around to it.

A single action .22 revolver is a lot of fun for plinking, and can be had for cheap. I think I saw some .22 plinkers in the classifieds a day or three ago for short money.

Good luck!

I have a Sig P220 single action only with a .22lr slide. It is a great gun for plinking away. The thing is a tack driver as well. The best part is, is that you can purchase a .45 slide for it and it becomes a full size duty weapon.

Walther GSP, the ultimate shooting machine.
Currently there are a LOT of these for sale over here due to the politico's
campaign to turn in guns.
Barely used pistols are available for $ 300 and even less.

Last edited:
Walther GSP ...
Barely used pistols are available for $ 300 and even less.

Seriously ...[thumbsup]!!!??? Wow, so, when are you traveling back to NH. I think that I could arrange a private MRGCI shoot just for you ...heh, heh, heh, if you could arrange to bring back a Walther GSP or three (in .22LR) to sell [smile].

Firearms confiscation worries in the Fatherland eh? I wonder whether Switzerland will ever be so foolish as to do the same.

PS - Sorry to veer off track, it seemed that the post had run its course.

I own a Colt Woodsman from 1956 and it's a tack driver. I bought my wife a Ruger Mark III earlier this year and it's a tack driver as well. I'd personally go with either a Ruger or a Buckmark from Browning if I were you. The Woodsman is a great gun but since they are no longer made they can get pricey for a good one.

I bought a Ruger MKIII because it was $400 less than the S&W 41 and lefty grips for the 41 were expensive. If I get to the point where I outshoot my MKIII I'll upgrade to a 41. It depends on your budget.

Oh and take a look at an UltraDot 4 red dot scope for either

Walther SSP is the best 22 pistol that I've ever shot. The gun goes for about $2200.00. Add a scope/mount and extra mags and you're talking around $2600.00. [smile]

I use a High Standard Supermatic Trophy Model that I bought over 30 years ago. It is still going strong and I shot a 1.19 in five shot group at fifty yards of of an improvised rest recently. These guns will give you the performance of a model 41 for less money. The only draw back is that you have to find a used one as the original High Standard went out of business and newly manufactured clones aren't as good as the originals.

If you ever take the S&W tour and see the machines that bore the barrels of the Model 41 (they are built into the bedrock and when the factory was reorganized, it was organized AROUND these massive machines) and you'll know why they are such fantastic shooters.

I like the S&W 22A for beginners. Really easy to understand and maintain. Will outshoot most people. Always seem to be a good bargain in the used case, and they have a lifetime warranty.

If you want to spend the $$, the 41 is really tough to beat, but is usually more pistol than most need.

Seriously ...[thumbsup]!!!??? Wow, so, when are you traveling back to NH. I think that I could arrange a private MRGCI shoot just for you ...heh, heh, heh, if you could arrange to bring back a Walther GSP or three (in .22LR) to sell [smile].

I'd love to, in a heartbeat. I hope to pay you folks a visit when I'm in theater
the week before and after Easter

Firearms confiscation worries in the Fatherland eh? .....
Rather strict measures as to storage, "proof of activity" in competitions, worries of future legislation making a blocking system mandatory etc.
It has turned into a buyer's market for everything relatively modern.
Prices for collectible German ordnance are still skyrocketing.

Just have a look at the offers here
http://www.egun.de/market/list_item...&country_id=3&zip=&int=0&order=ends&asdes=asc

Those prices are just a fraction of retail. Granted, auction-type pricing does not reveal final price there, but it's quite obvious that these pistols are going for less than a quarter, and in some cases, much less than even that in their original pricing.

I'd love to, in a heartbeat. I hope to pay you folks a visit when I'm in theater
the week before and after Easter

Hmmmm ....Easter falls on Sunday April 4th in 2010 ...that'd be roughly (in its most generous span) Saturday March 27th to Sunday April 18th.

Concerning Saturdays: March 27th, April 3rd & 10th

We've yet to schedule the prospective "car" shoot. The only real bug-a-boo at that time of year is snow cover. We'll see.
================

Those Walther GSPs (series) have one heck of a reputation as shooter's best friends.

Last edited:
I have a Sig P220 single action only with a .22lr slide. It is a great gun for plinking away. The thing is a tack driver as well. The best part is, is that you can purchase a .45 slide for it and it becomes a full size duty weapon.

I was going to talk about this weapon.....[hmmm]
It is(was) by far the best .22lr hand gun I've owned or shot. This kind of weapon is the way to go if you're looking for a "training" type gun that also makes a good plinker.

Hmmmm ....Easter falls on Sunday April 4th in 2010 ...that'd be roughly (in its most generous span) Saturday March 27th to Sunday April 18th.

Concerning Saturdays: March 27th, April 3rd & 10th

We've yet to schedule the prospective "car" shoot. The only real bug-a-boo at that time of year is snow cover. We'll see.
================

Those Walther GSPs (series) have one heck of a reputation as shooter's best friends.

Well, that would leave only April 3rd for me, the day I wanted to drop off my daughter at Logan for the flight back home. If so, she'll be at the airport way early [smile] as I'd have to commute to S/W NH then.
Could you give the Cops a day off ?[rofl]

We'll arrive on Monday 3/29 (joining daughter coming in from Toronto) and depart on Thursday 4/8

i cant speak for other models, because i have not experienced them, but I am completely satisfied with my Sig Mosquito. granted, you have to feed it the expensive side of .22, but even still $14 beats $40 any day.

Back
Top Bottom