• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 2 stage AR15 trigger

@teamRR i agree. I paid $90 for it out the door at a shop and have been nothing but happy with my larue mbt 2. I have been very happy with every Timney I own as well though. But not comparable on price.

@teamRR i agree. I paid $90 for it out the door at a shop and have been nothing but happy with my larue mbt 2. I have been very happy with every Timney I own as well though. But not comparable on price.

I'm sure you can get a little better, to me I think the LaRue gets you 90% there at 50% of the price.

Was really really cheap before the panic buys & price hikes, they were $65 if you bought 3 I believe. There is a back story on those triggers - they started at $150 or something, company decided if they mass produced and sold quantities they could offer the same at a fraction of the price and that's what they did. Really cool stuff and really gets the name out there.

The Geissele is the go to 3 gun competition trigger. Specifically the S3G. (SD3G if you want flat bow) There are plenty of triggers that are light and short pull that make it a pleasure to shoot accurately with, and yes this is important for the long range 3 gun rifle shots. However, most of the shots you will make are going to be close range hosing. This is where the S3G shines with its short strong reset. You will be like John Wick. Isn't that what you are after?

Seriously, get a S3G. Its the best. I have 3 of them

here is an example of shredding

Last edited:
The Rise Armament Rave-140 trigger is fantastic for the money. With coupon codes from Brownells you should be able to get one for $100. It’s like 3-3.5 lb pull. Super nice

I took a shot in the dark with a Rise LE145 drop in because I was targeting 4.5lb single stage. Have to say, I'm quite happy with the cost/benefit ratio with this trigger and would recommend Rise. Sub $100 and an immediate wall single stage. And I mean immediate. I have an ALG ACT in another gun that is also single stage, but there's like a half milimeter of play on it before the wall. Maybe not even that, but I do feel it slightly depress before the wall. Minor quibble, but noticeable when the goal single stage.

Nice crisp break and a reset that doesn't jar the trigger under your finger (unlike the ACT). I am curious though, aside from pull weight which can obviously be purchased at varying levels, what more does one get with a $200-300 trigger? Yes, I skinflint on this topic, but could a trigger really make up the $100-200 difference in price? Honest question. I have yet to try a super high end trigger to know the difference.

Love my Rock River Arms with two stage trigger.

My pre-94 ban Colt has a pretty sweet trigger. Pretty sure it’s a single stage trigger.

I have Rock River 2 stage National Match triggers on several AR's. I love that trigger.

But I also have a Geissele on a couple too and like them. The feel is different. And IMHO the application is different. I would likely choose teh Geissele for 3 gun.

Different products for different uses IMHO.

Rock River. Have one 12 years old in my primary rifle. Flawless. Great break. Reasonable pull for a gun you would carry around.

Not exactly a high end one, but the larue mbt 2 is amazing and a great price point.
For the price, IMO, the larue can’t be beat! The Geisselle is a bit nicer in my experience, but not 200 dollars nicer.

I don't mind the Rock River for an inexpensive 2-stage, but it does have flaws. Mainly it doesn't hold its weight for long. I had one on a practice upper that pretty much lost its second stage after heavy use. And, adjustment is non-existant. You either like the way the it comes from the factory with regard to 1st stage weight, 2nd stage weight, sear engagement, and overtravel, or you don't.
Geissele is expensive, but you get to determine where all those adjustments are made so it is the way YOU like it.

The RRA 2 stage NM triggers are known to loose weight, been there done that. They have a lifetime warranty but not worth it.

As mentioned by others, The G NM trigger is the gold standard.

What have you shot before? After using nothing but milspec (and finding them fine), I threw geiselle G2S and SSA-E triggers on my rifles. Holy shit I didn't realize what I was missing.

I took a shot in the dark with a Rise LE145 drop in because I was targeting 4.5lb single stage. Have to say, I'm quite happy with the cost/benefit ratio with this trigger and would recommend Rise. Sub $100 and an immediate wall single stage. And I mean immediate. I have an ALG ACT in another gun that is also single stage, but there's like a half milimeter of play on it before the wall. Maybe not even that, but I do feel it slightly depress before the wall. Minor quibble, but noticeable when the goal single stage.

Nice crisp break and a reset that doesn't jar the trigger under your finger (unlike the ACT). I am curious though, aside from pull weight which can obviously be purchased at varying levels, what more does one get with a $200-300 trigger? Yes, I skinflint on this topic, but could a trigger really make up the $100-200 difference in price? Honest question. I have yet to try a super high end trigger to know the difference.
Trigger tech diamond is what gets set on most competition rifles. An AR version of it is close to a rem one also, it is a very good 1.5lb pull trigger.

I remember when Jewell triggers were the schiznit in AR triggers. I still have one somewhere on a lower, but you rarely hear about then anymore.

Trigger tech diamond is what gets set on most competition rifles. An AR version of it is close to a rem one also, it is a very good 1.5lb pull trigger.

Maybe it's because I'm not into competition shooting (nor am I good enough), but the thought of a 1.5lb trigger kind of freaks me out.

Maybe it's because I'm not into competition shooting (nor am I good enough), but the thought of a 1.5lb trigger kind of freaks me out.
Adjustable, so doesn't have to be 1.5#. VERY crisp. Everyone's preferences will be different, but the differences between any/most of these higher-end triggers and what we generally get delivered in ARs is night and day. Try them and decide for yourself. Only your opinion ultimately matters on your rifle.

Adjustable, so doesn't have to be 1.5#. VERY crisp. Everyone's preferences will be different, but the differences between any/most of these higher-end triggers and what we generally get delivered in ARs is night and day. Try them and decide for yourself. Only your opinion ultimately matters on your rifle.

I definitely understand that part, but what's the difference between a $100 aftermarket trigger and a $300 aftermarket trigger?

When I built my last AR 2 years ago I wanted a decent trigger but I didn't want to break the bank. I grabbed the Rise Rave 140. As others have mentioned it is a great trigger and easy on the wallet.

I definitely understand that part, but what's the difference between a $100 aftermarket trigger and a $300 aftermarket trigger?
First, @AJK129 is right [smile]. Then, the differences are across a range of take-ups, over-travel, feel of the break, etc. I'm sure many people can express what THEY think makes a specific trigger "better" for a specific application, but those are opinions (and I'll repeat that only your opinion will ultimately matter for your rifle). If you're going to be slinging your rifle through mud, how each option handles that may become the deciding factor. If you want/need precision-rifle predictability and break feel in your rifle for some bullseye competition, then that may be the deciding factor for you. I certainly can't tell you what will be best for you, your application, your style, etc. So, tapping the experiences/opinions of the members here is useful. Finding a way to actually use the various options is probably the best way of making a decision. I've been blessed by the camaraderie of great folks at my range who've let me try everything from a variety of mil-spec triggers, TriggerTech, Timney, Rock River, Gissele, Jewell, Rise, SSA, LaRue... None of them felt "the same" to me. So, I don't think a $300 trigger is better than the one your rifle came with in all cases. I DO think the premium triggers are better for some applications in some weapons. YMMV.

If you're not mechanically inclined, don't get an adjustable trigger. Buy something fixed. And likely buy a drop in single piece assembly.

If you're going to even think about using the gun for defense, 3lbs or higher on the trigger weight. AR Golds are awesome triggers, but there is no way in hell I'd put one in a battle rifle to use under duress. If you've never shot a 2.5lb or lighter trigger, you need to try it before you buy it. YMMV.

If you're not mechanically inclined, don't get an adjustable trigger. Buy something fixed. And likely buy a drop in single piece assembly.
Right up front, I'm not arguing a point. I'm interested in your advice re: not getting an adjustable trigger if not mechanically inclined, though you recommend a drop in assembly. Many of the adjustable triggers (such as the TriggerTech) ARE drop-in assemblies. With these units, installation is generally reinserting the same pins as any trigger unit, and the tightening of two captured screws. Adjustment of trigger pull is simply rotation of a captured screw. I'm just not clear on why that would present much of a challenge to anyone, mechanically inclined or otherwise. The hardest part of replacing stock triggers is often removal of the original trigger unit. Again, not looking to argue a point, just not sure I understand your caveat. Thanks!

Right up front, I'm not arguing a point. I'm interested in your advice re: not getting an adjustable trigger if not mechanically inclined, though you recommend a drop in assembly. Many of the adjustable triggers (such as the TriggerTech) ARE drop-in assemblies. With these units, installation is generally reinserting the same pins as any trigger unit, and the tightening of two captured screws. Adjustment of trigger pull is simply rotation of a captured screw. I'm just not clear on why that would present much of a challenge to anyone, mechanically inclined or otherwise. The hardest part of replacing stock triggers is often removal of the original trigger unit. Again, not looking to argue a point, just not sure I understand your caveat. Thanks!

No harm asking.

I've seen some retarded people in my day. Some of which own guns. I've seen people shoot a rifle at a target 25 yards away and miss by 6ft, oblivious to what was going on.

So I'm saying if you don't know what end of a screwdriver is the part you hold, or you shoot your gun and don't understand why a hole didn't appear, might want to stay away from the adjustable triggers.

It's more of a "stop f'ing with your gun and learn how to shoot" piece of advice than anything else. Some people can't learn the difference between tinkering to improve and blaming the tool for your performance. Which with firearms usually leads to dumb ideas. Like hey, I bet I'll shoot the best with the trigger set to the lightest spot!

Back
Top Bottom